NQR weight loss

Boni !! That's not nice to put those delicious looking pies on there.......:P

We have county fair and State fair coming up and I MUST have a corn dog and a funnel cake. Then I am satisfied for the rest of the year. I won't eat them on the same day though..........;)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Linda S

As far as the BLTs - way back in my WW days -- and I've done Weight Watchers about six times (finally learning to make it more of a lifestyle), I taught myself not to lick my fingers while cooking by wearing rubber gloves in the kitchen at all times. Trust me, you don't want to stick your finger in your mouth with those things on. After you do it enough times, it really becomes a habit. I don't wear the gloves anymore, and I don't eat while I'm cooking. Give it a try -- it really works.

On Sundays, I grill a whole bunch of chicken breasts on the BBQ. After they cool off, I wrap them individually in sandwich baggies and toss them in the freezer. Every morning I pull one out and bring with me for lunch (along with a Granny Smith apple)

Same goes with lean steaks...

Breakfast, I eat some berries and either make a poached egg, scramble one or eat a hard boiled.

Dinner is salad or fresh veggies with fish, chicken or steak.

I am enjoying reading everyone's post, and getting a few tips that I will try. Also will buy the Wheat Belly book. I have suffered stomach problems for years, and have wondered if wheat might be a problem.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories, given me some food for thought.

Guest Linda S

Heidi - I can't eat refined carbs (too much insulin and hypoglycemia), and this probably wouldn't be a very pliable dough to make a fold-over type pastry, but when I want a tart or fruit pie, I use almond meal for the crust. Yes, I do use butter. It's a fat, but it's natural and I don't eat it very often. Almonds are a lot better for you than flour.

Originally posted by hmerrill

I'd love to find a healthier version.

See...this is my problem. I don't want a "healthier" version. If I want to eat a Southern fried pie, I want all the fat and sugar that comes with it...same with the corn dog and funnel cake. I am satisfied with a moderate portion, then I go my merry way. To make a healthier version means I can justify having it around more often, and eating more...because it's healthier! I have to watch that pitfall! (or slippery slope) I never admit defeat...just get back on track and forge ahead with the good foods.

I just received a new book, IT STARTS WITH FOOD by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig. A lot of the information is on their website, www.whole9life.com. I have done their Whole30 program before and had real good results. I am planning to do it again starting August 1. If anyone else is interested in joining me, let me know!

One of my best tools to healthier eating is

Michi's Ladder.

Hands down, It was the one thing that made me think about what I was eating.

It has all the foods we love to eat listed in "tiers".

They are seperated into 5 tiers.

The thinking is, if you eat from the top 3 tiers, You have a near perfect diet.

You can eat from the bottom tier, (Ice Cream, Donuts, Cookies) But you want to eat more from the top 3.

I didn't think it would work. to my surprise, It worked great.

I taped it to my refrigerater.

I was never restricted in what I was eating, But I was learning the things that were healtier for me.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Boni,

It's like eating a low calorie ice cream. Really? If I am going to eat ice cream, darn it I am going all out and eating the best... no cutting corners or calories for me! :P

I agree. I find that if I eat the low fat, no sugar varieties I keep craving more and more, so I might as well eat the good stuff in moderation and be done with it. I am satisfied and can forget about it for a while. My body does not work well on a strict fat free diet either.

I'm not a huge ice cream eater, although I do enjoy it from time to time. I found that I really like Edie's frozen yogurt and it doesn't make me feel like I'm missing anything.

Lisa E. - my son goes by a mostly Paleo diet. I know he has tried to convince me to follow it but I don't know that I could give up beans, grains and yogurt. I really don't eat a lot of dairy but I do like yogurt and have gotten used to that for breakfast with some fruit. I'm not a huge meat eater. I like meat just not huge qauntities and I don't eat it for every meal. I am trying very hard to limit all wheat and cheese. Does that book have recipes in it? I'd like to get more options that are vegetable based.

I thought I'd let you know I ordered the Wheat Belly book from Amazon and it should be here today or tomorrow. Yesterday I saw my doctor and she says it's a healthy diet so to go ahead and try it. I also found out my thyroid is functioning on the low level so I'm supposed to start medication for that tomorrow. Between the wheat belly diet and my thyroid maybe something will start working. I have 60+ pounds to lose to be at my best weight. You all are encouraging me to try harder.

It would be good to keep this thread close to the top just to check in once in a while. What part does exercise play in this weight loss plan? When I stand at the longarm all day I get really anxious. My house is two-story and I'm upstairs and the kitchen is downstairs. At least I have to climb the stairs if I eat anything. This morning I went outside and pulled weeds in the area I can see from my window. (I know that's cheating, but at least it gives me a pleasant view and I don't have to think about weeding--the whole yard needs it.) So if I do the stairs and go outside to weed a small section several times a day, does that count the same as going to the gym? :D Will I ever finish this quilt? :o

I'm with you guys, I hate exercise but that being said I know I feel a lot better when I do exercise. I am going to the gym 3 days a week and doing the elliptical for 45 min. I am also doing 10 Min. training dvd's 6 days a week. Each consists of 10 exercises concentrating on specific areas. I need to keep that up and I have to make do it every day!

My hat's off to you for all your workouts, Heidi. I KNOW I should, but just don't do it. Always something more fun and interesting to do I guess. We live 10 miles from town so driving in to the gym seems like a waste of time just being on the road to and from. EXCUSES, EXCUSES, EXCUSES.............:P

I'm always looking for an "excuse" to exercise...not like going to the gym or "working out"...I'm looking for ways to incorporate exercise into my life. The stairs are there so I have to use them...my post office is a mile and a half from our house so I walk to and from the PO to get the mail. (not every day, but most days) I park in the outskirts of the big box stores and make myself walk and push the cart back to the store when it's empty. I've been trying some stretching throughout the day while I'm working at the LA. I put my foot up on the chair and stretch my hamstrings, and raise my arms to the ceiling and all around. I'd think someone would come out with a book or video doing exercise on the LA much like a ballet bar! :P:P

Boni, I like the ballet bar idea :-))

Well, Heidi, you have inspired me to start dieting, again. Today is day 5 and it feels like a lifetime.. Can't see results yet, am craving sugar like I cannot believe. Upped my exercise program with 10 extra minutes on the bike and a walk after dinner.

Wish it was a month later already, and I've stuck to the plan.....

We'll see:)

Archived