NQR weight loss

I know that we started a thread on weight loss a while back and not sure how others made out but here is my journey. I maintained for about 6 months slipped a couple of pounds and finally decided I needed to make a serious change. I ordered a cleanse program from Beachbody and just got done with my 21 day change! Why do I say change? Because I think I have changed. The plan is designed to cleanse your body of toxins it has gathered over the years and get it back into a good metabolism. When I first got it I was very skeptical and knew that I could return it within 30 days and get a full refund so what did I have to lose. Apparantly a lot! LOL It basically removes meat, dairy and most grains from your diet, leaving you on a vegetarian track. I didn't know if I was going to be able to do it and some of the meals didn't exactly excite me but I vowed to at least try them all ,which I think I did, maybe left out one or two. Anyway I was never once hungry and after the first week I felt really good. More energy and just over all feeling good. The cleanse part wasn't drastic like you had to be near a potty all day. LOL but the stuff you had to drink sure wasn't my favorite. I stuck with it though and I lost 14 lbs and 10 1/4"! I am so excited to be back on track. Now I'm following WW's and trying to stick to the meals that I had on this program except I'm adding back in meat, dairy and eggs. I'm finding it very easy to stay on WW's now and have control over my overeating. We really eat fairly healthy just too much healthy :P. I am making it a huge point to have dark veggies for lunch and dinner and not skipping those. I am also reducing my carbs big time. I haven't had coffee in 23 days now and I feel really good so I'm going to try not to start that again. Maybe just green tea if I need something. Oh and the thing that I had really gotten bad about is drinking enough water. I just wanted to share and if any of you are on a weight loss journey please join in. I still have about 20 - 30 lbs I want to remove from this body. I haven't been there in about 10 years so we'll see how well I can do but I feel like I'm well on my way.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Heidi - how wonderful for you!!!! I'm jealous! My DH and I went on a better in 7 days kind of diet, lots of chicken, salad greens and whole grain rice, oh and bran with almond milk for breakfast - felt better after that but finding it hard to keep up - I am getting tired of chicken...but no cravings for anything fast food anymore...

Good for you Heidi! You can do it if you put your mind to it. Discipline and self-control.

I was a heavy kid and got my weight down while in high school and have so far been able to keep in within about 5-10 lbs. Now that I hit the big 50-year mark it's more difficult than ever! But I've learned to eat good foods and enjoy a very small bit of chocolate every day - because I like it! Moderation for me works.

Another thiing that has made keeping weight off more difficult? I had to move my treadmill to our garage to make room for Millie! Darn! :-)

Originally posted by Primitive1

Wow Heidi - how wonderful for you!!!! I'm jealous! My DH and I went on a better in 7 days kind of diet, lots of chicken, salad greens and whole grain rice, oh and bran with almond milk for breakfast - felt better after that but finding it hard to keep up - I am getting tired of chicken...but no cravings for anything fast food anymore...

Thanks Vicki. I thought I was really going to struggle as the plan was pretty restrictive but I did really well and now I don't even crave anything which is wonderful! I was happy when I could add eggs back in too. So far meat I've added are shrimp and boneless baby back ribs. I'm keeping my meat portion to 3 - 4 oz. I eat lots and lots of fruit and veggies. I was super surprised about the coffee. I loved my coffee but had let it go out of control.

Originally posted by Pat C

But I've learned to eat good foods and enjoy a very small bit of chocolate every day - because I like it! Moderation for me works.

Another thiing that has made keeping weight off more difficult? I had to move my treadmill to our garage to make room for Millie! Darn! :-)

Pat thanks. Excellent advice and I swear this time when I get it off I'm going to stick with it. LOL wouldn't it be great if we could use our treadmills and run the millie at the same time? Now there would be a big seller!:P:P:P

That's awesome, Heidi! Congrats on your weight loss and healthy eating lifestyle change.

I started a diet 2 months ago and have lost nearly 30 pounds. Basically, I am going back to the old ways we humans all used to eat .... 50 years ago... 100 years ago ... 2000 years ago. No fast food. No food out of a box. I cut out all of the "pre made/processed foods" I am eating much less of the carbohydrates and much more of the fresh lean meats and fish and lots of fresh fruits and fresh veggies... but most of all... I am keeping the portions down (not huge meals). I think that portion control is the key. You don't need to eat a gynormous amount of food. I am eating just a few smaller portion meals through the day. I feel great! Oh and I am riding my bicycle 10 - 15 miles every night after din din with the hubby. And doing a lot of 5k runs (fast walking) It's been fun. I'm starting to get back into my size 12 pants. My goal is to fit in my size 8 pants in a few months. I'll be there!

After I began this diet, I really started paying attention to the people around me (public - like in grocery stores or restaurants) and observing what they are eating. I gotta say that we Americans are eating way too much food. And we are all getting FAT FAT FAT! I mean people are HUGE! What is up with all of these morbidly obese people around here? There is something really wrong with our culture and what we eat and how much we eat. Do we really need the big pile of fries with the big hamburger and soda?

The sad thing is, a lot of these fat people are young men and young women in their late teens, early 20s. I can imagine that they will continue getting fatter and fatter, and then raising a family of fat kids. I imagine there will be epic numbers of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and muscular skeletal disabilities in the future if we don't change our eating culture and lifestyle.

Heidi and Shana, I know what you are talking about. I spent the last year and half trying to follow the WW plan. I lost 35 pounds but now I've put back on 15 pounds. I feel like I am addicted to sugar. I want something sweet after every meal. It doesn't help that my daughter ( a school teacher) is off for the summer and wants me to spend every day with her. We end up eating out for lunch almost 2 or 3 days a week, then she decided to take up cake decorating so now we have cake and frosting in the house all the time. I tried walking on the treadmill, which is next to my Liberty, but now my knee hurts every day. I know these are all just excuses, but I can't seem to get back on track. I have coffee in the morning, in a huge mug, and by the time I add my flavored creamer to it I have used up 4 of my 26 points per day. 4 points for one drink is a lot of points. But I can't seem to cut back. I'd like to lose the 15 pounds I gained plus 5 more before I go to my parents 60th wedding anniversary in October, but the way things are going, I'm not sure I'm going to make it.

Congratulations on your successes. Keep me posted on how you're doing. You both inspire me to try harder. :)

two years ago I decided to loose weight and lost 40 pounds. I use www.sparkpeople.com to record my intake and output. I use a scale and measure my foods. I try to run a 5k three times a week and walk and carry my golf clubs.

However, Last year I hurt my achilles and stopped running and put back ten pounds or so. I just got back to running and I got lazy about measuring and recording my foods. so I am back to that, I think all Americans suffer from food proportion distortion thanks to media ads. Most people do not know what a normal healthy portion is, its almost shocking at first to measure a cup of cereal, 3 ounces of meat...did you know an average restaurant serve a pound of pasta as a serving thats enough for four people!

i gave up fast foods and junk years ago after reading about how they made it way before the pink slime scandal. I also realized I am lactose intolerant to gluten. so lots of changes. My last physical showed I am D deficient so I am working at bringing that number up.

Eating well is a challenge and takes a mindful approach. When I first started I had lots of conversations about what and why I was eating when I was. That really helped to understand me better. so after a very stressful year I am finally ready to continue helping me be a healthier happier me.

thanks for posting I enjoy reading your stories really really awesome.

Heidi, I admire you for being able to stick to that plan. I can't do anything that restrictive and just crave more and more. When I am restricted on a certain food, that just makes me want it more and more - even if I am not that fond of the food in the first place ! I know, it's all in my head, but that's me. I am still doing WW and the #s are SLOWLY coming off, but I have a way to go. I am very good at maintaining! Just want to maintain at a lower number ! I will hang in there and eventually get this off. I will be 65 in November and sure would like to reach goal and Lifetime before then. I have to watch the carbs and sweets because of my Type II diabetes, but my doctor tweaked my meds and that is under control. I even started to lose weight again after the medication change..........yayyyyyy! Let's try to keep this thread going and support to each other.

Thanks for bringing this up again. I too started WW in January and did pretty good for several months and then quit logging my food intake and put the scales back in the pantry. I think I have gained a couple of pounds so it is time to get the scales out and start logging again. I usually don't crave desserts but about 6 weeks ago ice cream and other desserts began to look good and my will power gave out. I usually can pass up desserts but the 2nd and 3rd helpings get me.

We have been eating a lot more vegetables.

Lets do another reminder in a few months.

It is great to have so many others on the same journey. It is always easier when there are others that keep you motivated.

Shana good for you! 30 lbs is a lot in 2 months! You hit the nail on the head as far as food choices and portion control go! Luckily I don't eat much that is boxed but I had started eating out more than I used to and boy can you pack on the pounds doing that. Portion control is the thing that I have to get under control and I also have to make sure I have a plan ahead of time. I hope to keep losing although I know it will slow down now that my calories are more but keeping them as low as they were was never intended to be a long term thing. Have you ever looked at some of the meals in the freezer section of the supermarket? Holy cow are they high in fat and calories and don't usually include a good portion of veggies. I get really sad when I see how some people feed their children. Everything they get is processed.

I just started my workout routine. I wasn't allowed to exercise while I was doing the cleanse. Calories were way too low and my internal body was working super hard as it was. Obviously my body liked the change and it is great to feel good.

It is so sad to watch people and see how many obese people there are and so many of them are young adults and children. The food industry is part of the blame. I ordered a SMALL Coke the other day and it was at least a pint or more. I hate to think what a large size was. The portions in restarants and fast food places are enormous......Heidi, I agree that the prepared foods in the freezer sections are horrible. Even the WW products and other brands are high in carbs and sodium. Not healthy at all. Very little protein in them. We need to get back to the basics like we grew up on. After reading all the above posts, I am getting my motivation back and ready to tackle these last 35 # !!!! This is WAR.........:P:P:P:P:P

Another website that is good for calories is http://www.myfitnesspal.com; you can use your smart phone to scan the bar codes to log what you eat. Check it out, Amazing to see what you are eating that you don't realize. I am also beginning a plan this week. Hope to loose 30 in 60; pray for me.

Congrates to all of you!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Well done ladies & keep up the great work!

I must admit that whilst holidaying in the USA I was gobsmacked at the size of the food serves in your restaurants & even your fast food chains. Your mini chicken meal is our medium size meal at the Golden Arches.

Your serves are huge & the problem is, as kids we are told not to waste food because there are so many people that cannot afford it. So we dutifully "clean" our plates & thats how it all begins.

Australia is the second fattest country after the US & we don't have our portion sizes anywhere near the size of yours so I'm not sure what our problem is!

After talking with my doctor in January about post menopausal (isn't that a "fun" word) weight gain and inability to lose weight, she asked if I would like to go to a dietician. I almost cancelled...why would I want to go to a 30 something 100 pound dietician? But, I kept the appt and to my surprise the dietician was about my age and we clicked. I have had struggles with weight my entire life. One thing she said I will NEVER forget..."I can see why you are so frustrated, do you realize you have been dieting since Kennedy was in the White House?" Wowza! Amyway, she said my food intake was spot on, but the 3 miles I was walking each day was not cutting it. She asked if I sweat when I exercised....really sweat. The answer to that was no. She suggested that I keep my food the same and work with a personal trainer. I started that in February and have lost 11 pounds, have some shape back and down a pants size. Now in addition to working with the PT I attend a twice weekly group class that includes resistence and cardio training. It is going to take a while, but I feel SO much better. This is a wonderful thread...I have enjoyed reading all the ups and downs we share!

I too am trying to get my foods sorted so it meets what is required for high cholesterol, and pre-diabetes.

I'm still not sure what I should not eat, but am gradually getting that figured out.

Just cutting back on my portions let me drop 5 lb. That little bit has me feeling better physically, and it

is easier to avoid the sweet, fat and most pastas.

I will be having the neck surgery I so badly need, On July 24. Less weight will make that a lot easier

to heal faster and better.

I have to make sure I eat more vegies, and less fruit..

Good luck to all of you, and wish me luck too! It is all for the better.

Thanks

Heidi, congratulations on your weight loss. Keep up the good work.

I am a typical yo yo dieter, keep losing the weight but putting it back on. I have been struggling really bad the last few months, trying to lose weight for my holiday in Italy at the end of July.

The trouble is I know what I should do and know my weaknesses, but so easily fall off the wagon. My daughter Amanda has really changed her life style over the last 2 years and is now looking fantastic. I wish some of here motivation would rub off on me.

I will keep trying, but the older I get the harder it seems.

Wishing Good look to everyone x

Last December my doctor told me that I needed to figure it out and lose the weight. And those words have stuck with me, I NEED TO FIGURE IT OUT.

I always wondered why a healthy whole wheat tuna sandwich would leave me sleepy after lunch and craving sugar later in the afternoon.

So the first thing I did was read a book called WHEAT BELLY by a dr davis.

My husband and I gave up all wheat and gluten, we both lost weight, about 10 lbs. for me.

Then after a couple of months I read another book called THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION by dr mark hyman.

My husband and I continued not eating wheat and started looking at the glycemic values of various foods.

Wheat bread, by the way, raises blood sugar more than a candy bar...food for thought! So we both lost a little more.

Plateau hit and neither of us was losing weight! Then we did something radical and stopped eating all starches.

So we eat protein lots of veggies and a bit of fruit. One month later and I lost 10 more pounds.

The latest book on weight management that I have read is called THE GABRIEL METHOD by jon gabriel.

This book has some very interesting ideas on why a person stores fat instead of burning it.

That's what I have figured out so far...

I had started working on my weight problem when I moved back to Oregon in 2007. I had lost almost 75 pounds. Then I started with the lump in the breast in March of 2011 and that went out the window as a priority. I bought my Millie in November, right in the middle of Chemo. I didn't even feel like opening the door and looking at her. Finished Chemo in December and promptly checked myself into the hospital for a week. I finally made it out to the machine in April. Well, I went for my three month check up last of June and am down 14 pounds. That quilting machine has been keeping me busy. I have been trying to do the moderation thing with the eating as that seems to work. My sister found out that I carry cans of V-8 for quick snacks. She started doing the Costco coupons. One has to keep working on it. I am also working hard to get back to regular swimming--I was going every morning, I am still struggling to make it four time a week.

Hearing about the successes does help with the motivation. Congratulations!

(***********Wheat bread, by the way, raises blood sugar more than a candy bar...food for thought! So we both lost a little more.)

Yes, it is surprising what raises Blood Sugar. People tend to think sweets, but carbs are the worst......starchy vegetables, pastas, etc. I still can't convince my Mom that Dad didn't GIVE HIMSELF diabetes because he liked sweets! haha He was predisposed to it from family history just like I am......my brother, too.

I read that same book about Wheat Belly and most of the Glycemic articles/books. I have truly found that the WW program is the best all around program to keep the numbers in control. I still have to watch things like too much fruit in one day, etc. Several members of my WW group have been told by their doctors to go on WW to control their cholesterol, blood sugar, high blood pressure, etc. Many of them have lost their weight and are off most meds. That's MY goal, too.

Congrats Heidi! Are you able to exercise? I have the Turbo Jam series of dvds from beachbody. I've been doing them for over 5 years now. I used to walk regularly, but started experiencing hip joint pain. I tried the Turbo Jam and it is definitely a total body workout. I firmed up and lost inches noticeably above my waist and on my back where I've always had those annoying bulges from my bra.

Originally posted by Anne from Guam

So the first thing I did was read a book called WHEAT BELLY by a dr davis.

My husband and I gave up all wheat and gluten, we both lost weight, about 10 lbs. for me.

Then after a couple of months I read another book called THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION by dr mark hyman.

My husband and I continued not eating wheat and started looking at the glycemic values of various foods.

Wheat bread, by the way, raises blood sugar more than a candy bar...food for thought! So we both lost a little more.

Plateau hit and neither of us was losing weight! Then we did something radical and stopped eating all starches.

So we eat protein lots of veggies and a bit of fruit. One month later and I lost 10 more pounds.

The latest book on weight management that I have read is called THE GABRIEL METHOD by jon gabriel.

This book has some very interesting ideas on why a person stores fat instead of burning it.

That's what I have figured out so far...

Good job, everyone!

I also hit upon the Wheat Belly book, partially because I know I have a wheat intolerance. It has made a HUGE difference. A couple more great books are The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf and The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. I have lost 22 lbs in the last year and kept it off! I will have to check out The Gabriel Method. For those of you who are into working out, check out CrossFit.

One thing I noticed this last couple weeks is that while our kids were here visiting, we ate a lot more potatoes than usual. I haven't gained any weight, but I sure feel sluggish. Back on track today and back to the gym on Monday! :cool:

Archived