Thread breaking

My thread keeps breaking when I quilt from right to left. It is perfect when I am going left to right. I've cleaned, oiled, checked timing, checked for burrs, changed the needle twice. I can't fiqure it out. Using Bottom Line in top and bottom. I have never had a problem with this thread before. Any ideas?

I understand that you've used Bottom Line in the top as well as the bobbin. When I tried that early in my quilting career, I didn't have good luck. However, the breakage decreased when I stepped down to a size 3.0 or 3.5 needle. Is your needle size too large?

Lynn

Yes, it IS frustrating. I have never been able to fix this. I think its just a function of moving left. When SIDing around a block I always have to go straight down the left side of the block and across the bottom to the right and stop. Then go across the top of the block and down the right side. I can never just go all the way around because inevitably my thread shreds and breaks after several inches going left.

Jess

I find running the Bottom Line top tension extremely loose helps, especially with a thick quilt sandwich. It might help you to reduce the bobbin tension too. Keep loosening the top tension until you get loops on the bottom, then tighten it a bit and try that.

Jess,

You shouldn't have to always be quilting down or to the right. I currently have to do that as well, but I know it is because I just retimed my machine, and haven't taken the time to fiddle with perfect tension. Call Amy at APQS and have her help you with this. It has to do with needle flex, where it flexes more going to the left or up, so the top thread is not being caught by the rotary hook at the correct time. Dawn has a video explaining this--anyone have a link to that, or Dawn can you chime in here?

Ok, I give up!! I have removed my hook asembly and retimed the machine. I've changed to a 3.5 needle and tried 3 different cones of thread and my thread is STILL breaking!! It is driving me nuts!!! I don't know what else to try. This is soooo frustrating. I am about to get very upset with my Millie:( I'm going to turn off the lights and settle down to a good book. Maybe things will be better tomorrow. Wish me luck! Jess, what year is your Millie? Mine is a 2008. Just curious.

Sorry to hear that you are still have issues. Could it be that one of your thread guides is worn and causing a problem? I don't know why that would only be an issue when you are moving in a certain direction though. Just another thought! Enjoy your book and better luck tomorrow.

Guest Linda S

Have you totally unthreaded and then re-threaded the machine? Sometimes there is just a little glitch somewhere in the thread path and totally re-doing pleases the thread gods.

sometimes when this happens, the only thing to do is start all over from scratch.

unthread the machine.

do the whole cleaning thing with wd40 and get the bobbin case finger area clean as well

spray the snot out of the cone with lubricant

clean the wheels and rails

if you have an extended base on, take it off and clean under there

when you are all done, rethread the machine, using the path you have always used and had success with

put the bobbin in at the correct tension you always use

loosen the top thread and slowly tighten til you get your good tension

this has worked for me...i hope you have luck.

one more thing to think of - if you are using a thread net, it is down below the shoulder of the cone?

and if not, could you try one - pantyhose work just as well.

good luck

drink mojitos and eat chocolate, too

Virginia: I agree with Meg, take it all down, and redo. Make sure the tension mechanism is clean. Now look at the bobbin side. Clean the bobbin case out. Look for any trash in it, and clean it out. Make sure the backlash spring is in properly. Check your timing again. Make sure the needle is pushed all the way up in the needle bar. If your tried Heidi's 6:30 position, try 5:30. I'm not sure which way it should be turned when stitching right to left.

I don't know how the bobbin case basket is secured on a Millie, but on my Ult2, there is a black "finger" that enters a slot to keep it from turning. Make sure that the finger is in the slot the proper distance. I think the thread slides through the gap between the "finger" and the basket, and if the spacing is too tight, the thread could be catching there.

Rotate the last thread guide slightly so that if there is wear there, it will be repositioned. Make sure the 3 hole tensioner is pointed in the proper direction. Sometimes they get loose, and move. After you've tried everything, and it doesn't work, try reducing the number of holes you thread the cone thread through (actually this is probably where you should start). Do you have a pad under your thread cone? If not make one from scrap batting and use it. Do you have a bit of batting in the thread cone hook to control how it spins off the cone? Add one.

Have you tried a different cone of thread? If not do so. It may be that you have a cone that is improperly wound. It's something simple, you just have to keep looking til you find it. Regards. Jim

Archived