Pebbling a quilt

Hi

I know it has been a while since I posted anything, but health and life sometimes take over for a while.....

I have a question as I am interested in the possibility of pebbling large and small pebbles over a quilt approx 97" square, but am wondering if it will feel stiff when it is finished, it is for our bed, and I want a modern feel to the quilting and I want to be freehand with it.

Has anyone ever pebbled allover a quilt before - if so how long did it take you. I am wondering if it is worth my time investment yet, as it would look equally as nice with a good panto which to me are way faster.

I think if I choose the right wadding, maybe Hobbs wool which is fairly light, or a dream cotton - it wont compact too much to feel stiff, and maybe a thinner thread like bottom line?

I hope you are planning something else to quilt along with pebbling because that is a lot of work on a quilt that size. I have pebbled some backgrounds in blocks and was extremely thankful it wasn't for a whole quilt. The blocks just about drove me bonkers as well as stressing my arms and hands. It took too much time for just those smaller areas.

Janette,

I'm not the expert on pebbling, but perhaps if when you pebbled, you used different sized stones with random spacing, some adjacent and others spaced apart a bit, it would let the quilt drape more. I have used QD wool and cotton. If you used the wool, I think it would still be soft, and cotton not as soft, but still drapeable. The bleached cotton is thinner than the natural.

I would encourage for to pursue your pebbling idea, as it seems like your vision and the quilt will remain with you.

I saw a QNN segment with Sue Patten where she talks about how she softens up her quilts. Sue densely quilts her quilts and after they're off the frame and bound she hangs them and beats the back with an old fashioned rug beater...at least this is what I remember her saying. Sounds kind of extreme but she says that it helps loosen the fibers to make the quilt soft again after adding all of that thread. I'd go for the Hobbs wool. I made a quilt with this wool and it's the softest quilt ever! It was not densely quilted, though. If you did a larger pebble maybe? I would think that pebbling an entire quilt would take a while but I also think the finished quilt could look quite striking when finished. Good luck with your decision!

Yes it seems to be my vision of the quilt at the moment, and I am not talking tiny pebbles, more like ranging from half inch up to maybe 2 inch sizes, not sure yet.... stones or circles may be a better description.... I am thinking it could take a good couple of full days, maybe longer

I attended a class at MQX by someone named...Angela Walters and she does alot of circles, pebbles of all sizes and lines - mostly geometric quilting for modern quilts...she was pretty creative and would be worth looking at what she does for inspiration...

http://www.qnntv.com/modern-quilting-for-modern-quilts-meet-angela-walters/

Originally posted by Primitive1

I attended a class at MQX by someone named...Angela Walters and she does alot of circles, pebbles of all sizes and lines - mostly geometric quilting for modern quilts...she was pretty creative and would be worth looking at what she does for inspiration...

http://www.qnntv.com/modern-quilting-for-modern-quilts-meet-angela-walters/

Thanks, I know of Angela Walters already, and admire her "modern" style. In fact I was just considering buying her book.

Janette,

I have Angela's new book and it is fabulous. She has a quilt in there where she used different size pebbles, and some other background fills. She shows how to have the pebbles change in sizes, by mixing the sizes till you get to the size next size you want.

Have fun quilting that quilt.

Janett: I'd suggest that you do a trial on a smaller whole cloth. That would give you a chance to see how time consuming it is, and see what the completed quilt feels like, and see what it looks like. I did a quilt a while back that had a lot of small pebbles. It was very labor intensive. I was happy when I finished that part of the design. Jim

maybe I will section off the quilt with wavy double lines, maybe using my sashings as guidelines, and then fill each section with different modern styles, pebbles, swirls, lines, etc. That way I could start with the pebbles and if they took too long for that first section, then I could do other styles alternating with the pebbles. Will just have a bit of fun. If it starts taking too long I could always start small and graduate to big pebbles down the quilt top and make it look intentional. Lots of options - am getting excited about starting it now. Just need to add the last border and make the backing then am ready to start. I have scheduled in one of my own quilts for a change...

If you do mainly large pebbles..2 inches across, and intermingle them with some smaller pebble, there is no reason the quilt should be stiff. Choose your batting carefully, maybe Dream Puff, and I think it would look great. As for time consuming..well, any freehand all-over is going to take time. You don't have to go around your pebbles twice, either. You can just complete your circle, then spin off immediately into another pebble, only traveling back around the pebble until you get to a new starting point. I personally think it would look great with the bigger pebbles. Its your quilt, and deserves special treatment, I think. I always quilt my own much more than I would a customer quilt. Sometimes, your first impresssion is what's best for the quilt. Go for it!

Guest Linda S

Large pebbles will be okay in keeping your quilt soft, but you will begin to wonder why you chose to do them about a quarter of the way through. They can be exhausting! They are so very pretty though. I'd go for the wool over the cotton. Wool is so soft and breathable. Cotton just seems to stiffen up the more densely it is quilted in my opinion. Good luck to you. Can't wait to see the quilt. I'll bet it will be gorgeous!

Originally posted by Sharond

Janette,

I have Angela's new book and it is fabulous. She has a quilt in there where she used different size pebbles, and some other background fills. She shows how to have the pebbles change in sizes, by mixing the sizes till you get to the size next size you want.

Have fun quilting that quilt.

I just downloaded Angelas book from C&T publishing (e- book) and it has been some great inspiration for the kind of quilting I was thinking of for my quilt. Mind you I have just realised that I don't have any wool wadding in stock..... wonder what it would be like with either Hobbs 80/20 or quilters dream poly....

Yes that would look nice Kristina, I think I am just going to mix it all up..... The bigger I go though i think the less accurate I will be, not that stones or pebbles need to be perfect circles, but the look I have in mind are more circular.... like Linda says, I will no doubt change my mind 1/4 way through....

http://www.j-quilts.co.uk/blog/2012/07/22/My-sticks-and-bricks-quilt-waiting-to-be-pebbled-.aspx?alt_id=G6M11-2A871-1L9&ts=1342982093592

This is where I have been blogging about my quilt top.

I too was going to recommend Angela Walter's book but you have already taken care of that! I just spent sometime reading it this morning and it is a great book with easy to follow illustrations. This could be the first quilt book that I read cover to cover.

Love your quilt and look forward to seeing it quilted.

Originally posted by srichardson

I too was going to recommend Angela Walter's book but you have already taken care of that! I just spent sometime reading it this morning and it is a great book with easy to follow illustrations. This could be the first quilt book that I read cover to cover.

Love your quilt and look forward to seeing it quilted.

Thanks and yes it was great inspiration to read, I spent all afternoon reading it.

Archived