Double knit polyester anyone?

I just finished a log cabin quilt made entirely from one inch pieces of double knit polyester! Talk about difficult! I knew it would not be easy but oh my gosh! So glad when I made my last stitch...lol...and it was 102x90 inches!

Beautiful quilt. The quilting is really a good choice. I love the meandering you used. I can't imagine how heavy this quilt would be. I have a lap size polyester that I picked up at an auction but haven't quilted it yet.

You give me the inspiration. Maybe I will tackle it soon. I know I will love it. I freeze all the time. The heavier the quilt the better.

Loading and quilting a polyester quilt is not the worst part...frogging is!! Don't ask how I know. I hold my breath every time I quilt something with any amount of polyester in it, check my bobbin at every pass, slow my machine down, and do everything in my power to make sure I do NOT have to pick up my ripper. I found it nearly impossible to get a hold of my thread with the ripper without snagging the polyester.

It was stretchy but once I got over that and just accepted the way it was going to have to be, I was okay. I took out a bunch in the very beginning because it would move to the right when the machine was going that way and then move to left when I went that way...could not keep it flat...therefore there were some issues that were driving me nuts. So I increased the size of my meander and just did it...lol When I took it off the frame, it looked better than when I was working on it...lol

I agree with you, Lucy, almost impossible to frog on double knit!!!!

I'm still marveling at the fact that she put prairie points on it. Wow! Years ago I had a friend who used anything and everything in her quilts. She would use yardage or cut up old clothes, it didn't matter to her. Yes, she would mix cotton with polyester knit then would tie the quilts. She sold them faster than she could make them.

The quilt looks really nice. I'm glad to see it and to hear the comments.

I will be getting a quilt from a new shop owner "soon" (she is still piecing it). She showed me the fabric last month that she bought at JoMar (sp?) and it is a combination of many different fabrics and a lot are a cotton/poly blend. She said she couldn't pass up the fabrics because they were only $1.00 and $2.00 a yard, so were much cheaper than the shop fabric that she buys wholesale. (Her shop fabrics are all 100% cotton and organic.) I had to smile when she showed me the mish-mash of fabrics she bought for her own quilt, plus she wants to display it in her shop, compared to her choice of fabrics to sell in her shop.

Oh, and she bought a sale sheet at Target for the backing. I told her I would use it only if she washed it several times.

This just kept me gasping! LOL! First, thinking about the stretch; then I saw the prairie points (oh my!): and I hadn't even thought about frogging!!! You're made of stronger stuff than I, Della!:D

After catching my breath :) I must say it's really a very pretty quilt, and you did a fabulous job quilting it.

Archived