NQR - Looks like we are in for a storm!

Looks like we are in for some bad weather, keep us in your prayers over the next few days and I really hope we don't loose our power for a long time....after finishing getting ready for storm, trying to finish a quilt on my frame so my customer can spend her time without power sewing the binding on....

Everybody be safe. Gassed up my RV and got propane in case we have extended power loss- I can move right in. I've put away everything outside that isn't nailed down- they are calling for 30 to 40 MPG sustained winds with gusts up to 70. For some people that's not a big deal but it is here in central PA. Hope we don't lose power so I can just watch the storm and quilt!

Vicki how are you making out? It is such a huge storm and it still hasn't met up with the cold front. Looks like it is going to be a rough couple of days. Still not getting a lot of detail on what we can expect where I am. They are now forecasting it to hit a little north of Atlantic City so the path now brings the right side of the storm over the east side of NY and the left side of the storm over Western NY. Amazing that one storm can cover our state from side to side! PA looks like they're going to get hit too all across the state. I guess time will tell.

Keep us posted!

Did I hear right that this thing is 1,000 miles wide ???? No wonder such a huge area will be affected. Hang in there everyone !!!!

Yup 1000 miles wide! It a huge storm and it has been a long time since a storm this size has hit the northern coast. Right now for our area we're only supposed to get 50 mph winds and up to 2" of rain so not bad for us. The city is in for the brunt and all those low areas as well. PA is supposed to get the snow up to 2 ft! Yikes. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Schoharie County about 45 miles west of us is bracing. They got hit last year by Irene and had flood like they have never seen. They already have school closings. I pray there is little damage but I'm guess there are going to be lots of power outages and lots of damage on the coast as these now 3 storms colide.

Vicki I hope you are ok and the storm is just grazing you guys. Son in N says it hasn't been bad there so I'm thankful for that!

Heidi,

We have had lots of clouds all day and rain was supposed to start this morning but finally did this evening around 5pm, it is steady and the wind is picking up. We are as prepared as we can be for it, just hoping that we don't loose power, that is the worst part. I hear that it is supposed to pick up during the day tomarrow and stay with us until Wed morning....we are under a flood and high wind warning. I have applique projects prepared to work on but having no power doesn't get my quilt back log caught up...and my DH has only 3 weeks left in his Master's program which is done totally on line, so hopefully this won't mess with either that or elections next week! At least it is cooler outside, I am guessing in the 50's which I like better than 100 degrees like it was last hurricane that came through. I'll check back in and keep you posted on how the storm progresses....if you don't hear from me it means that we don't have power...

Vicki I'll pray you don't lose power. We have only lost power once or twice in this house so I hope it stays that way. I guess I probably shouldn't have put that in writing! LOL Not knowing what this storm is going to do when it merges with the other stroms is the most frustrating. The storm surge is going to be bad for those right on the coast. I know they have shut down all mass transit in NY city! That is amazing and I don't recall the last time that has happened. We're 3 hours north of there so we should be ok. The Mohawk and Hudson Rivers are the closest to our house but we're about 4 miles from the closest so that should be a problem for us. Thankfully there is no forecast for snow! I'm so not ready for a 1 - 2 ft like they're calling for in PA. Sandy are you in the clear?

Our rain started last night and we've had a steady rain off and on. They've declared PA a state of emergency. Schools are already closing in central PA around Lock Haven. I live on the front of the Allegheny Mts so usually I miss the big snow. Unfortunately I'm in the path of the western storm and the eastern one. I hope the eastern one just decides to head out to sea and visit the fishes.

So far this morning, lots of heavy rain and wind. Everything is closed here and most of my neighbors took their yard stuff in, I expect to see lots of halloween deco flying by during the day as I don't know what people are thinking...the wierd thing is that it is cold when you open the door to let the dog out...I hear it is snowing in the western part of our state.

stay safe, vicki!

i wasn't worried until this morning, when i saw the birds acting weird.

they say wour biggest worry will be the high winds..70 mph!

guess i better head to the market and stock up on canned soup just in case.

The rain has started here, light but the winds are definitely picking up. They just canceled classes on campus and one text says liberal leave for employees and another said campus is closing at noon. I'm getting conflicting stories. I'd love to go home at noon though, I'm sure the commute will be miserable by late this afternoon. Meg the birds know I think and when pets start acting weird it should be a clue to pay attention. I think the problem is going to be that the winds are going to last for days and it won't blow right through.

Well the rain didn't last long and then it got brighter out and now it is getting gray again. They closed campus at noon for students and employees had liberal leave, that means you can use your paid time off and your supervisor can't tell you can't leave and you also get to leave 2 hours before your scheduled time off. I left 2 hours early and will enjoy a little of my quilting time. Most of the schools in the area have now closed or are closing soon. The winds are definitely picking up. Going across the bridge was no fun. At least I saw it blow the truck ahead of me almost into the side wall so I held on with both hands. I won't be driving over it again until the winds die down. I don't like bridges on a good day! I'm home safe and going to enjoy the quiet!

My power has been blinking off and then right back on. It has done that three times so far.The wind has picked up and it is raining now. Sometime from now until 2 in the morning they are saying that the storm is supposed to reach us. I hope anyone that is in the path of this storm is safe. Be safe and take care.

They just closed the canal system in NY to all traffic so they say that indicates the storm is worsening. Right now it doesn't seem that bad here but thewind is definitely gusting and we're having light rain. Charlotte I think you will get more than we are because of how close you are to the Bershires. If you lose power you are welcome to come to my house! Spare bed is clean.

Sandy has pretty much left my area. We still have some outer bands and wind but nothing much. We lucked out. We never lost power and no major flooding where I'm at. They said only about 16,000 in our area lost power and they are getting it all back on pretty quickly. NY city was hit pretty hard and had a record flood surge so I'm sure there will be lots of problems there. Praying for all the people in NY City, NJ and PA that got hit a whole lot harder than we did. I hope you're all safe.

Archived