New Years Resolution/Challange! :D re New Forum....

This is meant as an encouraging challenge:

I resolve to get over the loss of our old forum format and embrace this new one and learn to use it fully, just as I had too when I first joined this forum. I resolve to start posting all my quilting pictures again, as pictures are what we all love to see and be inspired by.... (So stay tuned latter today,...)

And I challenge you all to do the same! :D

Any takers?

Lots help each other. Post your questions under how to use this forum, and we will all try to help!

I resolve to do the same.

I also resolve to complete at least 2 UFOs from my quilty closet.

I also resolve to make each of my children a new quilty thing from next Christmas (not necessarily a bed quilt but something nice).

I used to resolve to lose weight each New Year's day but I now wear a size 3 but a 1 would be better if I could find them. It has been hard but it is done and I am better for it!

Ardelle - I'm right there with you on getting used to the new forum, but it really is nice once we get used to it. Change is always hard.

And please do keep posting those beautiful quilt pics of yours! I'll be watching later today!

I love seeing everyone's lovely quilts pics, all of the good learning topics, and the wonderful people on this forum. It's always an inspiring and comforting place to come.

One of my goals is to post more pics also. They won't be of such talent as many of you, but I learn something on every quilt and that's the only way to get better.

Let's make 2013 a wonderfully 'quilty' year!!

The only thing I don't like about the new forum is the lack of posts.

I miss all the eye candy,

Change is hard, but using Flickr, I have found posting pics to be easier than it used to be.

There is no resizing or anything.

Just grab the BB code and paste.

I don't make the gorgeous custom quilted tops that you guys make, but I'll try to remember to post my finishes.

So, I'm in!

My GOAL is to work on the ufo's, make one QOV per month, and to keep making quilts for the folks

that receive the Habitat for Humanities home here in Sanford.

My goal is to be more relaxed and less critical of my work.

My goal is to be more persistant in putting things in a pre-selected place.. and hope to find them.

My last goal is to make more quilts for Community Service.

RitaR

I'm almost out of space to post pics on the forum before I will "force" myself to learn to post with Flickr and get an account set up there. I have missed a lot of people posting pictures here like it used to be, but I'm happy there's those willing to keep this forum alive for those of us that depend on it. I still miss my "favorites", but part of that is due to pictures missing because they were on webshots or whatever that went away.

This year I'm working on the quilting scheduling and setting goals to achieve (which includes getting organized, finishing some UFO's, etc.). I'm going to try to live by the motto "don't put off tomorrow what you can do today."

Good luck to everyone on accomplishing what you set out to do!

Ardelle,

I appreciate your positive attitude and encouragement to post. The forum will be dull indeed without folks posting quilt pictures. I've just put the last hand stitches in a most unusual quilt.

My customer is 78 years old. When cleaning out the attic, she found a cedar chest containing her daughters' dresses. Her girls are about my age - so the dresses are similar to what I wore way back when. I thought she would want the dresses cut up and put into a quilt. However, she wanted a quilted background (Baptist Fan) and the dresses (the entire dress) appliqued on top of the quilt. I tried to convince her this was not a good idea, but she had a vision firmly planted in her head. Will attempt posting later.

Lynn

post-3823-0-11154200-1357189678_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the kind comments. I pieced a simple pink center with a white/rose/vine border (Paris Flea Market) and then quilted & bound as ususal. The very basic quilt then served as the foundation for the appliqued dresses. The customer didn't want quilting over the dresses - and frankly I don't think I could have successfully longarmed over the dresses. You have to understand - I don't like to applique and my skills are questionable. The work had to be done by hand since I couldn't figure out how to feed this monster through a DSM or how to LA without wrinkling up the top dresses as they were rolled up. I also couldn't stand the thought of the applique stitching holding the dresses in place showing through to the back of the quilt and messing up my best Baptist Fans ever. So, hand applique it was . . . .

I hung the quilt from my photographer's backdrop stand, pinned a dress in place at a time, and then stitched it down. You can imagine that this wasn't trivial. At the top of the quilt, I was standing on a step ladder to stitch. By the end of the quilt, I was almost prostrate on the floor. Since the dresses were whole (she wouldn't let me just use the front half of the dress), it was difficult to keep the foundation quilt from bunching up under the dresses as I worked. I had to redo 2 or 3 dresses when I realized things weren't staying relatively flat. It still isn't perfect, but I'm not sure that it can be given the make of the quilt and the fullness in the dresses.

I am eager for the customer to see the final quilt - and to figure out how she will display it. It will have to be hung or draped on a bed. There is no way to fold without wrinkling the dresses. She claimed she wanted it made for her daughters - but both of them stated firmly that they didn't want the quilt early in the design process. I think my customer will simply use it to remember earlier times - and perhaps pass it on to her granddaughter some day. BTW, the bottom dress on the left of the quilt (as you look at it) belonged to the customer as a child - so that little swiss dotted dress is over 75 years old. I begged the customer to let me mount it in a shadow box instead, but she wanted it with her daughter's dresses. I have one final doll dress that the customer made for her children - it may go on the lower right side.

So, I must say that this process shouldn't be repeated for a bed size quilt. I could see doing this again for a smaller wall hanging with fewer outfits, but not for a full sized bed covering. It simply weighs too much.

Lynn

P.S. Thanks to Ardelle for the challenge. It made me finally read through Dawn's notes and learn to post on the new system.

Ok Ardelle…. I like your New Year’s resolution!…and I also like the new Forum! It’s been so long, I can’t even remember when I posted last. 2012 was a really busy year for me, and I only completed 2 quilts...and I started both of them in 2011! Not much progress.... :( I am sooo looking forward to getting more quilting time in this year!

I still read the forum whenever I can, and am thankful for all the great tips and advice I find here. And like so many of you, I am really missing all the pictures and inspiration that used to be posted daily…. So I would like to encourage you all to post more pictures too! I haven’t tried adding photos in the new forum yet, so I’ll try a test here…. If it works, I’ll try more tomorrow. Just opened up a Flickr account today, so will see how that works

2012 brought me two more new grandbabies, and the next one is due in just 3 weeks. That will be 6 grandbabies in all…. And the oldest is not even 5 yet! OMG, I have some quilts to make!

Trying a test picture of grandbabies ….. bear with me please!

8344862326_613669820d.jpg

IMG_6261 by Sharon M2013, on Flickr

Lynn, what a challenge you stepped up to! The dress quilt is adorable and will be cherished for many years to come! Good job!

Sharon, your grands are adorable! Congrats on welcoming grand baby number six!

I resolve this year to lose weight so that I feel better. I also resolve to work at getting my longarm business going so, therefore I can post more pictures to the forum! One of my resolutions was to get my studio more organized and make room for more fabric stash...goal accomplished! Santa brought me a label maker that I wanted and I had fun organizing!

I, too, need to get used to using this new website. I enjoy all of the posts of others. Thank you.

Lynn, The little dress quilt is adorable. You did such a nice job. I love it!!

I seem to post more questions that I do finsihed quilts. I think you folks do such a beautiful job on your quilts. I feel a little ( a lot) intimadated.

Janice

Archived