Curved Cross-Hatch rulers

I recently ordered some arc rulers and thought I'd share some pictures for those that ask which ones to buy. With these pictures, hopefully you can get an idea that they are all really different in size and shape and even in the ways they can be used.

Deloa's rulers have nicely etched lines and a hole at the top for hanging. Each ruler is a different length, as you can see in the picture. No paper to peel off the backs. To me, these seem like the ideal ones for regular curved cross-hatching because of the way they are marked but the others have great uses for curved cross-hatching and I wouldn't rule out buying them.

Sets #1 and #2 from Renae Haddadin, only the first ruler in each set is marked, which is just to mention. I bought them for the arc effect, not for cross-hatching, but I don't see a problem using them for  curved cross-hatching if you want. The first ruler in each set, the one that is etched, is blue, the others in the set are clear. No holes for hanging, again, just mentioning it. They are based on circle sizes, so the 22 and 23 inch ruler is the curve of a 22 and 23 inch circle. Love, love that along with the fact that they are only 10 inches long which will make them easy to handle. As you can see, I still need to peel off the paper backs. 

I also have Ronda's ruler set that I bought when they first came out. I haven't used the bigger ones yet. I think they will be best used for marking and then quilting as a few are really big, but they do have nice curves. They, too, have holes for hanging and also are etched. 

Not sure which I will like the best or use the most but I think they all have a special place in quilting!

First picture -- Deloa's Boomerangs.

Second picture -- Renae's set 1 (bottom) and set 2 (top)

Third picture -- Renaes set 1 (left) and set 2 (right), stacked

Fourth picture - Ronda's

post-5206-0-84286200-1361896623_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-70056900-1361896635_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-06051400-1361896649_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-04976100-1361896664_thumb.jpg

I am only familiar with Deloa's CC rulers, but I love them!  And I use them for so much more than crosshatching!  One of the things that I love about them is that whether you are using the top of the arc or the bottom, it is the same curve.  One way that I use them is for echo quilting around appliques.  I am in the process of custom quilting a quilt that a ladies' grandmother had made.  It has 12 big blocks that are cross stitched (all hand work) and has blue lines around the cs'ing for the quilting design.  Deloa's 6" cc ruler is the perfect size and arc for stitching all these curves.  And it is just the perfect size to hold and maneauver around different shapes.  I have the whole set but use the 6" and 8" ones the most.

Glad these pictures helped someone. I always wished I could see them side by side before I decided what to buy.

Vicki, Renae makes 4 different sets of these arcs. I just purchased sets one and two but I really like them and see many uses in the future. Each arc has two measurements, meaning the inside is a different circle size than the outside. So you are getting two size in each one!

I have the Ronda's small S ruler that is pictured in your last pic. I bought it used and have not tried it yet. Not sure what its for. Are those rulers used for cross hatching also? And is there a tutorial out there for cross hatching? I'm a newbie and love that look so want to learn it. This is a great post Bonnie! Thanks.

Ann, Ronda used to have some videos on the Gammil site on how to use her rulers but it looks like they have been taken down. She and Karen McTavish came out with a book and DVD and the free video Ronda had promoting her tools probably inhibited book/DVDsales, so I'm guessing that's why the videos are no longer available.

Having said that, if you belong to The Quilt Show, show number 807 has a video of Ronda demo'ing her rulers. If you are not a member, I may be able to give you a coupon so you can see the show free. If you are interested, let me know and I'll pass along the info for you to watch the show free. (I hope the coupons are still good!)

Also, Quilter's Rule has a downloadable PDF sheet on her rulers here:

http://www.quiltersrule.com/downloads/RondasBasicInstructionsheet.pdf

Yes, her other rulers are for cross-hatching, too!

Ok. I've used many CH rulers in my day.

These are  the bomb in my opinion!  Both straight CH and curved CH.

EVERY line is EVENLY spaced, EVERY SINGLE TIME!

She has a video to watch if it helps you.

I LOVE Deloa's rulers, dont get me wrong..I have almost ALL of hers, cept the CH boomerangs.

I have fibromyalsia, and I need something with ease of control.

My 2 cents.

http://www.stonehousequilting.com/shop/category/quilter-s-groove-rulers/

I have Lisa's Straight set of Proline rulers.  Would like it if they were maybe 12 inches  for the backgrounds of Baltimore blocks.

Her Curved ones are on my shopping wish list.  Similar wish that they were  longer internally.  I have a BIg ruler base so have no trouble with longer rulers teetering on it.

Archived