High school class

I am a high school Geometry teacher and my wife and I are machine quilters. I have written a grant with my school librian and a FACS teacher to get funds to make two sampler quilts.

My kids designed the blocks in Geometry. The librian did a lesson on quilt history and basic construction, the sewing kids are making the quilts. The quilts will be used as opportunity quilts to raise funds to continue the project in the future.

All that to get to my question. We are doing a field trip with the sewing kids to my studio to learn about quilting. What are your suggestions for things to discuss.

So far I have:

1. Quilt intake

2. Types of quilting

3. Careers in machine quilting.

What are your other ideas?

Thanks

Don

Awesome opportunity for you and the students.

Initial investment.

Education (color theory, LA classes, piecing classes)

Competition.

The mechanics, care & maintenance required for your machine.

Thread and batting choices.

Any tools...rulers, pantos, computers.

I would briefly cover hand quilting, too.

I might call the local paper for coverage, too.

Let us know how it goes.

Great ideas. I really appreciate your ideas. We have had the KC Star come out but not sure when the article will run.

Keep the ideas coming. We really want to encourage these young quilters to continue. What are some of the things you have done to keep quilting economical ...working with high school kids the ides of spending $100-$200 bucks on fabric blows there minds.

Thanks

Quilting originated by what we now call recycling.

Perhaps you could have a contest for them using recycled fabrics to make quilts?

Wouldn't cost anything and might be fun.

I'll keep thinking.

I love kids.

The idea of kids quilting is almost too much for me!

Great thoughts from Jeannie about the charitable side of things.

Quilting originated by what we now call recycling.

Perhaps you could have a contest for them using recycled fabrics to make quilts?

Wouldn't cost anything and might be fun.

This reminds me of the great quilts I have made from my niece's clothing!

Saved, or found (local thrift stores?) fabrics make wonderful quilts, and don't cost so much.

Also, it brings up the topic of textiles-- a huge subject.

Don, I guess you can tell that encouraging the quilting arts in young people excites us!!

Using their old jeans and t shirts might be interesting to children because they aren't really buying a lot of anything.  You don't need anything with old jeans if you do jeans on both sides although I like to use flannel on the one side.  With a t shirt quilt you need the batting for the inside because they could always use a sheet for the back if money is an issue.

Show them how geometry is a part of quilting, the different shapes of the block units, etc.  tesselations, and others.

Give them some of the geometry graph paper and have them design quilt blocks or tops with colored pencils.

My kids had a geometry teacher have them make 3D shapes out of triangle/circles like a geodome.  They all are stepping stones to realizing that math and geometry are a part of art and "hobbies".

HI,

Lots of good ideas!  Sounds like maybe a couple of field trips could be planned...I like the ideas of sharing a bit about recycling...and also maybe touch on that you can quilt on a DSM machine also...and also maybe gasp...tying a quilt...just thinking of the age group and funds needed to start up this skill....My immediate thought was...oh ....can I try the big machine?  LOL...hey it took my 60 plus years to get my new to me longarm....Lin

Have you considered the art studetns as part of your project?  If your studetns plan the shape inside each block, perhaps they could plan the coloring.  Also, I visited a factory where fabric was woven and loved it and then I got to visit a factory where color was added and pattern as well.  I will remember that forever.  They might also like to study the differences in the "natural fibers" and how they respond to light, air, humidity hear, etc.  That sounds a bit like biology.  If the art students made art quilts and the biology students made a natural fibers quilt you could have a show and charge to see.  Too much info, I know.  But fun, just the same.  This would be a great time to have a local quilter come in with a trunk show.  Good luck and send us pictures.

I've worked with several "home schoolers" and something they always ask is how much fabric do I need to buy? Show them how to determine how much fabric to buy of each color, rounding off to the nearest quarter yard. (Don't forget to explain a fat quarter.)

Also, when teaching quilt history, include the feed sacks.

What a good start with the pictures you have shown.  Now have them write the directions to make their "quilt" and they can see how the different geometric shapes can be changed to make the design of their choice.

It would be fun to track this class and see how many choose careers or hobbies in quilting, painting, archetecture, math teaching, theater set designing.  This could go a million different directions.

Hope lunch was good today.

Don't forget about deciding upon / designing the quilting scheme. What things to look at, what to consider. Do I use a curvy design, or something very angular? Do I want it to look modern or vintage? Pantograph or custom?

Also, don't forget about thread types and the role each plays in the quilting process.

• 3 weeks later...

There is also the artistic aspect of quilting. I am now calling myself a quilt artist that likes to design quilted clothing that I enter in National quilting shows. I have actually won $2,400 in prize money in 2012. When I am working on a quilted item I actually intensely enjoy the creative experience involved with quilting. My brain just explodes with ideas! Color, line, shape, contrast, new ways of doing things! Oh my! It really takes over my brain. My hands just want to sew.

The students can also see lots of different quilts by exploring national quilting shows. They usually have great pictures of the winning quilts on line. Best of show quilts can win thousands of dollars!

There are also careers in writing quilting books and magazines. Quilters also travel the country teaching classes at shows and guilds.

Don't forget the guy aspect too! My father is a quilter and he is also a big tough Koeran War Marine veteran.

Archived