Argggggggggg.........needles breaking.....thread breaking

Wow Ardelle!  This scares me!  You are the last person I expected to have problems with your machine!   You are so experienced. It sure sounds like timing to me, but I know you checked that.  Hope the experts chime in soon.  It scares me to death when I break a needle.  Then I  am gun shy for days after.  Hope it get corrected quickly for you.

Ardelle,  my needle break problem reared its ugly head with firstly a white on white fabric, and then a quilt top with asian fabric with metallic prints.  There was enough "stuff" coming off the fabric each time the needle passed through the top to put a large deposit on the hook assembly.  Along with my slightly misaligned needle bar I broke 10 needles from many different packs before I resorted to a thorough clean of the hook every bobbin change.

Hope you can sort yours out quicker than me.

Ardelle,

Check for hook shaft collar play (see the attachment.) Provided your needles are OK, they're in straight, etc., then a needle breaks for these main reasons:

1. Improper deflection from fabric (bulky seams, adhesive build up, paint build up [white-on-white fabric])

2. Tension too tight on top and bottom (with both set very tight, they pull hard on the needle and increase flex.)

3. Needle too small for thread or fabric (if the eye is too small, the thread drags through too hard and pulls the needle around.)

4. Moving too fast for the needle size

5. Timing is slightly off (if the hook rotation is off slightly then the needle will strike the hook on the downstroke. If you've had needle breaks, there has got to be a burr somewhere on that hook. If there aren't any to be found, then it means the needle is most likely breaking before it even gets down to the hook assembly. It may be striking the needle plate instead.)

I've attached another document that might help with the thread breaks, Arlene. Let us know how it's going!

Hook Shaft Collar adjustment .pdf

Thread Breakage-Tension info.pdf

Dawn, thanks. I can move the hook shaft collar but just the tiniest bit. Not sure how to describe it, but just a fraction.....so what do you think, should I do the adjustment? Have looked and looked for burrs. We found one yesterday and got it out. No more needle breaks (using a different pkg) but still getting thread breakage.....

Ladies, you are like "engineers".... I am very impressed...

Here is a really dumb question... What is a " burr"? Is it like a scratch or a bumpy ? Arielle talked about removing it?

Just want to learn so when I experience this I won't cry?

I am so lucky, Roger was a farmer for many years and is use to finding the problem in machines. He found the burr and used his "needle files" to remove it. When I try and file one out, I am not strong enough, but Roger gets it out with just a few passes.....

He always tells me try Milli is a simple machine in comparison with his square bailer and its knotter! :D

Archived