custom quilt with Trillium designs

I just love Darlene's designs at Trillium House.  And Finally, I have something to share :)

It's a small quilt, about 42" square.  For some reason, I chose to use two layers of Quilter's Dream Cotton batting.  Can't really explain it, it felt right at the time.  But now I'm sorry I did it.  Cotton beards on the back and it's too heavy.  I should have used a single layer of blend.  Guess I wanted the quilting to show a little  Glide thread on top, So Fine in bobbin.

I laid out the body using Darlene's Twisted Leaf Array, Majestic Sashing Wreath and Fancy Tri-Leaf.  Here's what the IQ plan for the body without borders looked like:

post-4164-0-12013900-1366672211_thumb.png

And voila, here's the finished quilt:

post-4164-0-47497600-1366672246_thumb.jpg

A close up with most of a border.  I put simple straight lines in the dark brown inner and outer borders.  There's a ginkgo pattern in part of the middle border, that doesn't show up on the print fabric:

post-4164-0-96214700-1366672323_thumb.jpg

And just in case you haven't seen a good close up of Darlene's designs, here's another shot:

post-4164-0-06198600-1366672356_thumb.jpg

Darlene's designs stitch beautifully and are easy to work with.  I go to her site first now when I'm shopping.

Thanks for looking!

The quilt looks lovely.  The double layer gives good quilting definition. 

Which version of QD were you using?  When I want good definition, I use a single layer of the QD deluxe.  Heidi should chime in and remind us what she uses when she does the double layer thing.  I seem to remember a layer or half layer of wook and a layer of cotton.

Again, the pictures show a lovely quilt.

Lynn

Looks beautiful.  When I want the quilting to really show I use dream poly on the bottom and wool on top.  If you want it a little softer you can use two wool.  I'm using that combo on a quilt right now because the quilt was already so heavy.  It is an appliqued Baltimore Album and the weight of the top was shocking.  I'm sure that no matter what I do this quilt is going to be able to knock somebody out!  LOL  I wanted the extra loft because I'm using two different color threads top and bobbin.  It is going to take a long while to get it done though.

Archived