Discounts for Multiple Quilts?

Oh mercy!  I hate it when they give me multiple quilts!  I prefer they handle their own storage issues rather than me.   I just exchange finished for unfinished.  You could still give then a discount on the 6th quilt  you do for them rather than have to store all those quilts.  The liability of having all those quilts in my house scares me.  Just my humble opinion.  Glad you have lots of work! :)

I hate it when customers ask for the multiple quilt discount!  I don't do that, but every now and then I'll give my repeat customers a free batting.  I don't like giving discounts on the quilting part of it, but the batting is easier for me, and my customers like that too.

Diane

I  give the customers a step up inthe type of quilting.  Gives mea chance to try out a new ruler, design etc but only charge them for the lower level.  putwhat the higher style of quilting would have cost on the invoice but show a discount, to the level they want.

I have one customer who gives me 3 quilts every 3 months.  I love playing on her tops.

I also reframe any business question as if it were my plumber asking. In other words. would your plumber give you a discount because you have a leak you need fixed in the bathroom and the kitchen and the laundry room? The answer is "no". I don't run my business different from my plumber. Sounds harsh but this is how I buy milk. It isn't my hobby. It is my job. 

:)

One thing to ask yourself is, to what end would offering a discount further your business? Don't offer a discount just to be nice to people.

You can discount to build your business, but discontinue the discount when you have a strong customer base to draw from.

When there's a new product on the market--like any new grocery item or razor--attractive discounts by way of coupons are offered to get a customer to try the new product. Offer discounts to new customers if you need them, but don't have open-ended offers like every 10th quilt is 50% off. Realize they'll save the custom for that 10th quilt for sure!

My first year I offered 10% off to new customers for one quilt and a further discount of 10% off their next top for every new piecer they sent my way.  I had a customer who mined that mother lode like a pro. She lined up 5 new customers for me in a couple of months and it was worth it to me. She was shooting for 100% free until I told her 50% off was the best I could do. And I limited it to only one top. She still recommends me, though.

I love Angela's analogy--no other professional offers a quantity discount for services. Does the person who cuts your hair offer you a quantity discount? 

Own your talent and stand tall. Offer discounts for a reason--and not just because you saw it on someone's website. Make the discounts pay for themselves in more quilts and not just goodwill.

Do what my sister did. She put her customer's name in a jar for every quilt they brought in. Then at the end of the year she drew names for cool quilting gifts she had purchased throughout the year. She had all the gifts displayed on a shelf in her studio, and added to the collection when she saw something she knew her customers would like. She got a LOT of mileage out of that and had the busiest year she'd had in over 10 years! Problem is, she LOVES to shop, and this gave her a good excuse. I think she spent a LOT of money on those little gifts and probably every one of her customers got one! LOL :rolleyes:

It never occurred to me to give a discount for multiple quilts. Too often I have technical or mechanical issues that slow the quilting progress. That makes my hourly wage drop each time something happens. I like to think my customers come to me because of my sunny personality! Ha!

We asked for an estimate for tree cutting.  One was $400., the next was $350. and the 3rd on was $300., and all had to be

cut and taken care of at one time, not spread over days..  That was only One out of several we have talked to.

I sometimes give discounts on batting.. not quilting though, except for  free quilting for Quilts of Valor from QoV org, or out of our guild.

Rita

The only person I give a volume discount to is the owner of my LQS. To be honest, that is because all of the quilts I do for her hang in her shop and I look at it as advertising. Since most of my "regular" customers come from her store, it is a far trade. She can afford to have me quilt most of the quilts for the store and all her customers see my work. From the amount of calls I get I know they are referring customers my way. I actually give one other person a huge discount, but since she gave birth to me, I would do them for free if she would let me. Other then charity quilts of my choice, I change for all the quilts that I quilt. Every once and a blue moon I can sneak a free one into my Mom's stack. I have never done a discount on batting and won't because I purposely privacy mine to be the same or a little higher then my LQS. Over half of my customer buy batting from me, but if we are in the store and she has a package the that meets my customers's need I will have the customer buy it there and take it with me.

Well, I guess I am red faced here because I do give a discount.  Actually, I keep a file with each person I quilt for on a card.  I keep track of ea quilt for that person and what was paid. Then on the eighth quilt done, they get a free E2E lap top or smaller quilting, my choice of design and they supply all materials.  This discount has to be used by them within 6 months, not during Holiday times and I write it out on a business card of which they have to submit with the quilt.  With all of the ladies I quilt for I have only had four ladies take me up on this offer!  One was for a table topper, baby quilt, wall hanging, lap top quilt.  They really like the idea of being able to have a 'freebie' to use, even if they don't use it.

I think you have to do what works for your area and for the people you quilt for.  Since I am very rural and in a financially depressed area, this just seems to work well for me.

This is a very interesting topic.  I think we have all been tempted to offer discounts or incentives in order to grow our business.  I know I have toyed with the idea not so much to grow my base but just simply to show them how much I appreciated their business. 

I have not done it because my gosh I know I already don't charge enough.  I have raised my rates gradually but you know you are too cheap when your customers tell you it isn't enough! 

I have thought about purchasing bags with my studio name on them to return their quilt in.  Nice for them and good advertising for me.

I do discount but never on custom..  it has worked for me so far.....  but I play it how I want to play it....  do what works for you and if it doesnt work stop doing it and try something new.  What works for one person may not work for others.  Just be,aware there will always be that one customer who will abuse the system of discounts...  like I had a customer whos daughter suddenly took up quilting... of course I could tell it was the mother who made the quilt..  this was to utilise two show discount vouchers where it was one per person....  just take a mental note of who those customers are for future reference.  

I too do this as my business and not a hobby. Although I am very fortunate to have a husband with a great job and benefits that IS the breadwinner in the family, I help out with my business.

I give a discount for customers that once they reach 50,000 square inches quilted by me, I give them a discount on another quilt that is not custom work. after that quilt is done, I start with the next quilt. When I run extra specials I don't count that towards my club.  I do it as an appreciation for their business and to encourage them to keep bringing me their quilts. It has worked out well for me in my rural area. I  think many of my customers would bring their quilts to me anyways for other reasons, but this works for me and I still do well with my business.

Each knows their own area and have their priorities for their business. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here.

Archived