Poking around for new sewing machine

So my current machine is about 12 years old, and while I love it, the accufeed has started not performing as well as it used to (just got it serviced a few months back). I've been poking around looking for new sewing machines, and since I have the longarm, I would only be using the walking foot and such for when I do binding.  I've been kinda looking at the Brother VQ3000 but they're pretty darn new, and I have not seen a ton of reviews.  Does anyone have one, here?

thanks!!

Hi Mandy.  I do not know anything about the Brother machines, however, I bought a first edition Viking Sapphire and had nothing but trouble with it.  It was before I had my longarm (haha, it still feels weird to say that...) and I wanted the larger bed for quilting.  I had this weird problem where the thread would get caught on the feed dogs during freemotion quilting, as well as tension problems. drove me bananas.  no one else seemed to have the issue and I had joined a yahoo group to figure it out.  It seemed that people either had tons of issues with them or they ran like a dream.  It might be due to the "newness" of the model.  Personally, I wouldn't get a new model of machine in the first year that they are out, but that's just my experience. During all this, I had a quilt that absolutely needed to be finished asap, so my friend let me borrow her Bernina.  I loved that Bernina so much I didn't want to give it back hahaha, so I bought one and haven't looked back.  It was a Bernina 430 and I don't think they make them anymore, but I believe the replacement model (500 series?) would be just as good (and I think they might have been out for more than a year).  Don't know if that helps you at all.  I think if you had your heart set on the Brother and get it from a reputable dealer, any issues would be easily taken care of.  happy shopping!  Melissa  

Hi Mandy,

I have the Bernina 440.

I love it.

In my world, Bernina is best.

The embroidery unit is not the greatest, but I rarely (never) embroider.

I got an email yesterday Gloversville sewing center has the floor model Berninas on sale now from the Vermont Quilt Fest.

A more affordable line is BabyLok.

I've a few friends who have them and are quite happy.

Since you have your LA, I wouldn't get any model with the larger throat space.

It seems that no matter what the brand, they give you trouble.

Good luck picking.

Give us a review when you finally decide.

I'm also a Bernina fan. I have a 160 and a 440. I have the embroidery module but like Meg, I would not buy it the embroidery part if I had it to do over. There's nothing wrong with it and it does beautiful stitching but I just never use it. I love both my machines. I have a Gammill Optimum Plus and usually put the binding on with the longarm so my DM don't get used a lot. Good luck in you hunt!

Hi Meg,

I got that email, too, and was considering running over to check it out (they have a location just down the street from me in Saratoga Springs!).  I also got to teach a class there a few weeks back, and they definitely know their machines.

I haven't had a chance to sew on any of the Berninas for more than a minute or two (had the whole fam with me at the Vermont Quilt Festival), but will be trying to get in some time on them soon.

Keep the suggestions coming :) thanks everyone!

I have a Bernina 630 and Vikings D1 SE....none of these are current models...but not too old....all of them work great for putting bindings....both the 630 and D1 have 5.5 mm feed dogs...which some folks think feed the fabric a tad better for staight stitchining then the 9 mm ones...none of my machines have the the dual feed feature like the pfaff....but when doing bindings....I use my walking feet .....I like my Vikings for doing doing applique or anything that requires pivoting the fabric like binding corners because the foot automatically rises to a pivot position when I stop stitching and I can tell it to stop with the needle down.  my Vikings seem to be able to handle more fabric layers a little bit better than the Bernina as it has a sensor system and the needle raises a bit higher....both are great...probably have more features than you need for binding....I would take some mock binding with you and try out the various machines....and don't forget to look at the service and closeness to you as DSM  companies don't have the great online and by phone tech services that APQS has for any problems that may arise....Lin

I'm a Bernina girl too but, if you are looking mostly for a machine to do bindings, I can heartily recommend the Brother 1500S.  It it one of their 'quilting' machines.  It does a straight stitch only.  It has a 10" throat and a pin feed feature which acts like a walking foot but without the clunky hardware.  The pin feed makes it terrific for applying bindings and also for piecing.  And paper piecing where the built in thread cutter comes in handy.  It takes an L size bobbin so I use it instead of a stand alone bobbin winder to wind the bobbins for my George.  You can find them for under $700.  No zig zag or decorative stitches but it is simple and a real workhorse.   Nancy in Tucson

I have 2 babylocks one travels and one stays home. I have really worked them I only had one problem once and shall we say it wasn't a machine problem but me. I have had them for about 6 years. I make a lot of quilts on them. What I really liked was the price and hubby didn't collapse after seeing the price and they have a lot of features. Of course I only use a fee of the features regularly.

My friend also has two one with an embroidery unit and she runs them both at the same time a lot. So they are good machines.

I would say test drive and find a reputable dealer. I get mine serviced regularly and I look at it like an oil change on my car but I use them a lot.

Good luck with your search.

I know you are going to be overwhelmed with the Bernina and Janome encouragers, but wanted to mention the Pfaff with the dual feed.  I have had Pfaffs for years and have used the dual feed for almost anything that I am working on, cottons, satin, chiffon, velvet type, knits, denim.  I would not choose to have a machine without that feature.  The fabrics feed through together and don't give me stretch and distortion.  I am a very relaxed piecer and my quilts come out pretty much square mostly because of the dual feed when making them.  The dual feed on the Pfaffs is in the back and doesn't hinder the sight at all, it also makes no noise.

Good luck finding the right one for yourself.

I have a  cheap Brother (less than $200) that I bought from Walmart. It has the quilter expanded base and came with  walking foot.  I do all my piecing on it and use it to attach bindings too.  It is about 4 years old and has held up great.  I also have a Euro Pro that was several hundred dollars that never really worked right so I finally just gave it to my oldest son Sunday and told him to see if he can find anybody to get it working right and if not just stick it in a closet.

I'm a Pfaffie too! Although I don't think I'd buy a new one. Mine are oldies, probably 25-30 years old, made in West Germany. I've bought several on E-Bay for my 4 granddaughters because of the built-in dual feed foot. Even those little girls get absolutely perfect piecing with those machines! My personal favorite is the Pfaff 1475 CD. An oldie, but goodie! I've never even been tempted to TRY another, newer machine.

I am also a diehard Pfaffie( good word Darlene!) and will be very very sad when I have to replace.

I think the dual feed is absolutely essential!

Now that the patent has run out on the built in dual feed and other machines, including Bernina, are incorporating it, I would consider them. I have not heard much good about Pfaff since it was sold and the machines are no longer made in Germany.

Yep, I'll admit it, I'm a Bernina die hard!! And like Meg, love the 440. If you do look towards a Bernina, try and get one that comes from their Swiss factory. I have 2, 440 machines. One from the Swiss factory and one from a factory in Asia and in my honest opinion, the Swiss 440 runs WAY better than the other one I have.

Happy Hunting for your new machine. :)

Another Bernina girl here!! I have the last two TOL, 730E and the 830. Loved the 730 so much I wouldn't even trade her in on the new 830 just in case I didn't bond with the new girl. That was silly, 730 is only used for classes now. Last week at Bernina University, they came out with the new 880 TOL. These machines just keep getting smarter and smarter. 

I also have the Brother 1500S - a very serviceable machine.  Changing the feet is clunky compared to my Bernina 170, but it has a knee lift, needle/up/down, thread cutter, slightly larger throat.  Great for FM quilting, and anything requiring just a plain straight stitch machine.  As Mrs. A says, very reasonably priced.

I always said that if I could buy a machine with those features, plus a zigzag and a blind hem stitch (which I use for applique), I'd be a perfectly happy camper.  Like others, I have the embroidery module for the Bernina, but rarely use it.  Rarely use all the hundreds of fancy stitches.  I have used the lettering to make labels, but these days you can just photoprint them.

I have Bernina 640 and am very happy with their walking foot. I just added the embroidery module to it. Never thought I would but am having fun with it. It is not a dual feed so I have to attach the foot but for the cost of the machines with dual feed I could replace my walking foot a lot of times. If you don't feel the need for a wider zigzag so you can use wider twin needles the 440 would suit your current needs.

I'm a Viking girl, have been since 1972.  Loved them all.. still have the Designer 1 USB,

And it traveled thousands of miles in the motor homes, and was used in dry, damp and even dusty, sandy areas, and is still going strong.   I did have embroidery problems, which a friend who owns the same machine came over and helped me with that.

Rita

PS, I only traded up 3 times, no 4, and loved all the advances, and features from what I had before, and I was ready for an upgrade when I did trade in.

Archived