Quilt Glide

OK, I checked the APQS website, and can't find a mention on Quilt Glide.  What exactly is it?  I'm guessing it is manual stitch mode that is movement triggered.  When you move the machine, it begins to stitch in manual mode, and when you stop the machine movement, it stops stitching.  Is that correct, or is it something all together different?  Currious Jim.

Its a secondary form of stitch regulation. When you are in Stitch Regulated mode, it keeps the needle moving at whatever speed you select by turning the dial, from very slow to more rapid cycling. As you move the machine, your stitch regulator will take over and over-ride quilt glide. So, as you are quilting, you don't get the jerky sounding (and feeling) surges from the starts and stops when you are doing very small work, like micro stippling. If you are comfortable doing non-regulated stitching, you may not need it. I personally like to have more precise control while using micro-drive handles for fill in small spaces, and I do a lot of heirloom quilting. It was something I particularly wanted and I am not sorry I chose this extra option.

Hi Jim...

I have quilt glide...so I'll try to answer.

It's controlled by a little knob on the front of the head.

I was told to use it when doing micro work.

I don't do a lot of micro work, but when I have used it, I noticed a difference.

It keeps the needle cycling in SR mode even when you stop moving the head.

You can determine how fast or slow the needle cycles by turning the knob.

It lessens that hesitation between stop and start when in SR mode.

And believe it or not, that really helps to keep the quilting line smoother when you are moving the machine in a different direction after one 1 or 2 stitches.

We'll see how my explanation holds up when the experts chime in.

Jim:

I will copy what is said in the literature:

"For years, longarm quilters have been trying to make detail quilting easier without sacrificing the benefits of stitch regulation.  APQS has found a way!

The Quilt Glide gives you the slick, fluid motion you like when stitching in manual mode, and simultaneously keeps the stitch regulator engaged to give you consistent stitches, even when moving slowly for detail quilting.

Available on the Millennium and Freedom SR machines, the Quilt Glide feature combines manual sewing mode and stitch regulation mode together to give you accuracy and consistency without that "jerky" feeling that can happen when trying to do detail quilting in regulator mode alone."

Jim, I have quilt glide and would not be without it! Yes, the needle keeps moving, but it moves at a much slower rate than if you are in simple manual mode. It allows you just enough time to engage the brain for the next direction without the panic of having to move faster than you are comfortable. The best thing is the smoothness, a perfect blend of stitch regulation and manual mode.

Heidi, I have both and bliss and glide, you will extend your quilting years by investing in both, especially with the type of quilting you do, they allow longer sessions without the arm, and neck fatigue. It seemed unreasonably costly at the time, but I am so glad I did the upgrade to Bliss, I am not sure if glide can be added later to a machine.

Jim, I have quilt glide and would not be without it! Yes, the needle keeps moving, but it moves at a much slower rate than if you are in simple manual mode. It allows you just enough time to engage the brain for the next direction without the panic of having to move faster than you are comfortable. The best thing is the smoothness, a perfect blend of stitch regulation and manual mode.

Heidi, I have both and bliss and glide, you will extend your quilting years by investing in both, especially with the type of quilting you do, they allow longer sessions without the arm, and neck fatigue. It seemed unreasonably costly at the time, but I am so glad I did the upgrade to Bliss, I am not sure if glide can be added later to a machine.

Shar I'd have to trade in my machine and get the new head because I missed the model change by less than a month that would allow me to upgrade without a new head.  I just can't justify spending that much money and I think hubby would have a heart attack.  If I win the lottery I'm upgrading!  LOL

I'm a newbie and have used Glide on the last couple of quilts I've done.   As I was doing the fine, small work at one point I thought -  holy moly I'm so glad I got this upgrade.   I notice an immediate, distinct difference in quilting smaller areas.    

Archived