Fabric - what genre or designers do you like?

I'm not so sure I have one particular type I do like.  I tend to stay away from mod

prints, very large prints, don't like what I call smudged flowers etc.  I want to see

what my eye wants to see, not what someone else wants me to see.

I love batiks, but not those with designs in them, such as flowers, leaves, fish, etc.

just the beautiful, simple combinations of colors, unintentionally put onto the fabric in

a random way that becomes beautiful to the eye.

I'm not much into themes.. I like animals, but not all cats, or dogs, horses.. give me

some out in the pasture, flying against the sky and trees, or grazing in a meadow.

Not much for things like windows with various things setting on the sill or hanging by it, or outside

view of things.  Make mine more unencombered.

I do love cats and dogs, chickens, well, can't say I like a skunk much less love the odors it

can emit, but de-skunked, they are so cute, gentle and loving.

Any how I look at fabric, it all depends on the use.. clothing, household, curtains, quilts, use durability,

color, etc.

Isn't it wonderful though that most of it is loved enough by someone to keep them making more

and changing colors, etc.

Rita

Interesting topic, Anne. It all depends upon the types of quilts we make, doesn't it?  My taste is pretty eclectic...I make traditional quilts and original quilts.  I love every color except maybe brown.

I just got inspired to reduce my stash...after 30+ years of collecting, it was time to get real about how many more quilts I will actually make in my lifetime.  I decided to free half of the fabrics so that they might be used by other quilters.  What I got rid of: almost all the novelty prints, reproduction prints both civil war and 1930's, most of the multi-colored prints or 'focus fabrics' as they are often called.  What I kept: the hand dyes, solids & batiks...most of the dots and half of the stripes & plaids...some large pieces of busy prints for backs...and lots of tone-on-tone prints as they are the most useful workhorse fabrics in anyone's stash.

I'm also wondering if people have a formula for how MUCH they purchase of each fabric (when they are just stash building & have no idea how the fabric will be used).

Where to start? I have amassed a roomful of eclectic quilt shop quality fabrics that I actually use. The range of my interest is very wide from traditional to contemporary & almost every technique in piecing & quilting I do & teach. Ten years worth of collecting/ spending, I am a blessed woman, thank you Jesus for answered prayer.

Someone wrote somewhere that fabric is what's paint for an artist. No formula for me, just buy what I could afford and I also trade with some friends if I could afford to let go. Very handy with scrappy quilts.

Years ago, a friend came by with her husband to pick up the quilt frame and machine she bought from me, she asked her husband if he wants to see my fabrics stash, they followed me to the fabric room with DH along. DH was shocked & said "So this is where our retirement money is going!". And we all laugh, I have a good husband who spoils me.

Someday when I am semi organized, I will take pictures to post.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there are some fabrics and designers out there that I don't even know that I like and need yet!  I seem to like everything but am usually not crazy about panels or novelties, but the novelty prints look great in kaleidoscopes.  I don't like too much Robyn...too many roses and I don't care that much for oops, I can't remember the name right now.

My favs are about any designer that mixes and matches well year after year, like Kansas Troubles.

Joan

My taste leans more towards earth tones, muted colors, but there are exceptions.  My favorite designers are Holly/Taylor from Moda, more northwood theme. I'm a fan of Batiks as long as they are not too bright and I love marbled fabrics.

Well, I should stand up and say my name and admit to being a "fabricholic".  I LOVE it all and think I have to have it all.  Some days I just sort of pet it and dream of what it might become.  It doesn't seem to matter how much I have of it I always have to buy a few more pieces for any quilt I'm starting.  I've gone through my stash and given a large amount to my DIL who later gave it to a good friend of mine because she decided she just didn't want to sew right then which was just fine because my good friend has taken up quilting and she's very good at it and enjoying every piece of it.  That's a win-win situation.  Then I gave a large amount to my DGD who decided to start sewing/quilting and is having a blast with it.  She's becoming quite a little quilter herself.  This is good for me because I get to buy more. 

My tastes change according to what I'm working on I guess.  I collected Halloween fabric for almost 10 years.  I never made the original quilt, but I am half way through with a Spider Web quilt using these Halloween fabrics.  I had to add a couple of new fabrics of course.  Not my color scheme usually, but I'm liking it.  I'll post a pic of how far I am now.  The blocks aren't sewn together and it's only half done, but you'll get the idea.  This pattern is also a great scrap buster. 

I love anything with a rich Oriental theme.  I love neutrals, earth tones and marbled.  Don't care too much for really bright batiks, but interestingly enough I happened to buy a brightly colored batik layer cake and gosh it made the cutest owls on a baby quilt I did. 

I found that sometimes I buy something out of the box for me and I end up finding a great pattern that uses it beautiful and I'm always happy I bought it.  I have a bunch of 30's reproduction fabric I bought for Doodlebug's 30's swap then didn't do the swap so I have the fabric sitting there waiting to become something.  She just posted her blue ribbon quilt from that swap so maybe I'll do one like that. 

My suggestion is if it grabs your attention and you really like it then buy some of it.  If it's on sale or you have a coupon...buy more of it.  I try to buy at least 1½ yards because it nothing else it will make a purse or tote.  I've been known to buy 10 yards of something I REALLY like or something that will work with a lot of fabrics as a background or something.  It's all personal choice and usually dictated by finances available at the time.

post-4696-0-79582300-1375995691_thumb.jpg

Vickie I have all types of fabric too! I love the challenge of thinking that I will use it all SOMEDAY!

It is funny though, how you can start a quilt from your stash but then you always 'need' to buy at least one more piece...

I used to be a project person and only buy for the project I was about to start and finish...I would listen to others talk about their stashes growing exponentially ...and now I am one of them! Oh well like I always say I don't smoke and I don't hang out at bars and I don't buy a lot of clothes....so fabric it is!

Mrs A - a formula for fabric buying...I usually buy a yard if it is for my stash, but if it looks like it has potential for a border, I buy 3 yards. Of course if it is on sale I might buy more!I don't find fat quarters that useful. I always wish I had more yardage of the print!

Anne I so agree with you!!

I've learnt from past experience, if you like it, buy a minimum of 3 yards. I've lost count of the amount of times in days gone by that I loved a print only to realise 1/2 a metre wasn't going to be enough. This would always happen when I decided, (mid project mind you) that I wanted that particular fabric for the borders!! Fat quarters I only buy, if I'm auditioning a colour in making a sample block.

I tend to favour the vintage/ old fashioned look, although sometimes too many roses can be too many roses! I love French General & Anna Griffin. But tastes change and develop, so I am also now leaning towards a more modern bright vibrant print. And of course the plains. Where would we all be as quilters without the plains?? They are the understated, unassuming superstar in the fabric world. I never ever tire at looking and buying plain fabric, in its amazing diverse range of colours that manufacturers now offer us. :)

I tend to really like the florals and softer colors or the bright bright ones. I don't care much for novelty fabrics. I use a lot of tone on tone and solids. I went through a neutrals phase and now have a ton of stash of browns and tans. I'm currently on a grey kick. the only ones I'm not really a fan of are civil war, 30's prints, or anything green. I usually buy 2 yards of something that I like and I buy a lot of charm packs/layer cakes. I LOVE hand dyed fabrics, especially silks. Wish I could find some somewhere! Any suggestions. :)

Peggy

Fabric we all love it don't we? When I shop for fabric I always love the saturated colors of the batiks. I also love black and white prints.Michael Miller is one of my favorite brands - I love their funny style! How about you?

OMG, Anne!

This is exactly how I would answer.

I love the French general reds, too.

I'd be interested to compare stashes with you...I bet they are very similar.

So interesting!  As a relatively new quilter, my tastes are still evolving.  I love brights for splashy quilts (i.e., Me and My Sister) and have recently fallen for Batiks.  I also like the brighter 30's fabrics.  I am in a stage where I am playing with color, using lots of brights in design on white or mixing black and white with a single bright (often loud) color.  A little novelty goes a long way but I do play with those occasionally, especially in the seasonal quilts I have been making to throw over the back of my blue denim sofa.  And French General--ah--if I had a lover, he would be a French general , , , , ,  otherwise I largely avoid the muted historic-y stuff, which bores me right now.

editted to correct typo

I love the soft, girly romantic lines like Moda's Paris Flea Market and Maywood Studios Wild Rose by Marti Michell.

I remember waiting for the new version of Paris Flea Market to come out. It felt like an eternity. I bought a FQ bundle of it and haven't cut into it yet, not sure I ever will as it's just too pretty and ohhh, the pop of the soft red is yummy! Anne, this was one of those lines that was "reintroduced" and I didn't know about the first version, fell in love with it online and had to wait for them to print it again, so I know what you mean about falling in love with something that is hard to find. I hate it when that happens!

I also love Bonnie & Camillle's lines. 

I like most all colors and most prints.  But the other day I checked out my stash - I mean really checked it out -  and I have mostly fall colors, bright colors, and black and whites.  I have very few browns, no grays, and few creams.  Now I wonder why that is?  I buy what I like and I like bright - I guess. 

Archived