Arms Hurting

Sometimes my lower arms get sore from about 1/2 way from my elbow to just about my wrist.

It's nothing a short cup o tea break can't fix, tho.

I find overdoing it effects my neck and shoulders.

Especially if I'm doing real dense work.

Edit...I just thought to suggest rubbing Topricin on the sore areas.

I experience pretty bad pain in my thumbs quite frequently and this helps me a lot.

possibly wear a tennis elbow brace or one on the upper arm.  Over the years of me doing repetitive work I have gone with pain/numbness from my fingers and up to the shoulder.  When I fixed the outermost extremity, it would move to the next level up!  I would wear the braces (Walmart or other store) and take Aleve in the morning (I always forgot the night dose since I didn't hurt then). 

I do like the heat treatment too.

There are wrist braces available at Walmart, Walgreen or Kmart that will hold your wrists in a neutral position. You probably need to adjust the height or position. When my carpal tunnel flares up, ibuprofen, sleep in the braces. I sleep on my hands wrong sometimes and mine flares. I have had surgery on both hands as well as one elbow for cubical tunnel. You need breaks and go rotate and rest your hands. The braces should help you learn a different position to hold your hands. You may be using a death grip also.

Shirley

I had carpal tunnel surgery 4 years ago on my right hand.  Prior to the surgery, I would get pain in that arm, but found that if I controlled the machine with my fingers, instead of gripping the handles that helped immensely.  I no longer have any issues with pain from carpal tunnel.  Good luck!

I too have wrist, shoulder and facet nerve problems.. the Topricin is pricy and worth it. 

It helps the shoulder and hands, mainly thumbs.

I'd rather use it than put more pills into my body.

Usually just a few minutes break, maybe 15 min, has me rearing to go again!

(Time for half a cuppa, bottle of water, etc. )

Prayers that all who are having this trouble  can find permanent relief.

I try to take a break every 1-2 hrs for about 30 min.  This seams to really help me with back, shoulder, arm and hand pain.  Of course the next morning my hands and feet are swollen, but that can happen with normal quilting/piecing too.  So, I make sure I drink lots of water and move around more.

I am going to look for that Topricin...have never heard of it before.  Where do you get it?

Any pharmacy should have it.

IMHO, I like the cream better than the lotion.

I try to take a break every 1-2 hrs for about 30 min.  This seams to really help me with back, shoulder, arm and hand pain.  Of course the next morning my hands and feet are swollen, but that can happen with normal quilting/piecing too.  So, I make sure I drink lots of water and move around more.

I am going to look for that Topricin...have never heard of it before.  Where do you get it?

I would shout a resounding yes, sewing of any kind can cause carpal tunnel issues!  Been there done that.  I had surgery on the right hand more than twenty years ago. I am right handed and managed to put off the left hand until last spring.  One can delay having that done by wearing good splints to bed every night withour fail.  It makes a huge difference.  I also get the typical neck and shoulder issues.  Good stretching can make a real difference.  It might be worthwile to spend a few sessions with a physical therapist to get good, effective exercises to do regularly.  I need to keep reminding myself that PT only works as long as one actually does the exercises regularly.  I have benefited from them and then dropped them after a while only to have the pain come back a while later.  If you could have an ergonomics person evaluate your work station it might be worth whatever you would have to spend in terms of doing the most you can to make the job as easy as possible on your body.  I recently learned second hand the mouse I had been using was just about the worst in the world from an ergonomics perspective.  I have a new mouse and my hand feels quite a bit better.

Kathy  What mouse are you now using.  I use a wrist rest under my right wrist when using a mouse - keeps it elevated and stops soreness..

Sylvia I have all of my fingers and thumbs on top of my handles when using the machine.  Learnt  from 4WD training - you shouldn't have your thumb on the inside of the steering wheel either.

Well kids.  I've been at it for nearly 20 years on a longarm and you just have to get use to it and stop quilting and stretch.  Stretching is the best thing for your shoulders and neck.  You do know that the tunnel syndrome starts in your neck and wrecks your wrists.  You might have to go to a massage therapist and get your neck rubbed out.  That's the only way to clear up this condition, not surgery.  You can also invest in a pair of vertical handles for the front of your machine.  That's what I have on my machine and it reduces the pain and stress a great deal.  I find that the muscle in my wrist like this position much better than bring horizontal, this takes the stress off my muscle in my shoulders.  This is just my thoughts for you, my quilting friends.  Regards,  zeke................

Archived