Where to learn curved crosshatching?

My favorite hint for curved (or straight) crosshatching is to mark the lines using the template to make sure you're happy with the spacing and placement. Then stitching, also using the template, is a breeze. You can crosshatch any shape you want, but drafting it first so you know where to begin is a logical step. If you want to hatch a rectangle, draw one on graph paper and use the arc template of choice to practice.

I imagine that stitching curved crosshatching in a large area like a border would be difficult and tedious. Better to divide the border into stitched triangles, diamonds, or melon shapes and stitch the hatching within a more confined area. If you echo the shapes once, it builds a border around them, makes the design more formal, and really defines the crosshatched area. Outside the shapes you can feather, stitch a favorite overall, or even stipple. Just a thought.

I've done  lots of curved crosshatching on borders.  Mark as you would for beadboard, and use some sort of curve.  I have the nested ovals that work well for borders that aren't much wider than 6 inches, and blue masking tape works well to tape a straight  edge onto a template if needed.

There are lots of rulers out there, I have Deloa's boomerangs, Rhonda's curves, and I bought about a year ago the ruler demonstrated in the video above,  all of them work well I think you just have to try them and practice...

If you are interested in doing a border, I believe there was a quilt that was shown on here several years ago that had beautiful curved stitching in the borders, it was a fall or leaf quilt…I'll try to find it….

After watching the vids and doing a little practice, I find that I, too, have some questions about style-type things.  Is there a rhyme or reason to where the curved crosshatch starts and stops?  Does it come to a point, ever, and when would you use that?  I started longarming the year that there were all the classes at MQX for it, but I wasn't anywhere CLOSE to being ready for them, and now there are no more classes on it! Sigh.

Oooooh I asked for that Gadget Girls ruler for Christmas...I'd never thought of doing curved cross hatch with it...yay!  :)  Thanks for sharing!  I do curved cross hatch but I'm not sure what the "appropriate" way is.  I've noticed some people like to have a "start and a stop" point where the cross hatching slowly begins...while others like all lines to cross perfectly with no variation in the size of the space created.  I kind of like that very uniform look myself.  Karen McT's book is on my list...she is wonderful!

I sure do and did.   I need to go back and watch Jamies again... one thing is confused in

my brain.  He is such a sweet man, and thorough teacher.  He hits all points.. just my

brain didn't retain one part.

I try to not go to you tube much, just because of the addiction to watch the next, and the

next.. it is a great site when I'm in the hospital or just not anywhere near par before and

after the hospital stays.

Then I forget where, who's video, I saw something I wanted to try out, and can't find it again.

rofl.. that's the truth and I'm sticking to it.

Rita

Most of the echo rulers are only 10" in length which means you can cross hatch up to a 6" block on the diagonal.

If you want to crosss hatch a block any larger than that you will need to break the block up into quarters.

Maybe the designers only make them this size because you need to have good control of you ruler through the hole arc.

the 22"  of Renee's refers to the size of the final circle if you traced around them end to end.

I am going to stick to DeLoa's Boomerangs...   I have always had problems holding a ruler

in place, and the pressure on the extension table would of course mess up the stitching..

I've found that those red fingercots.. the little rubbery type pieces that just cover the end of

the fingers, help me hold them in place, and no need to use pressure to do so.

The other thing I do is use a painters glove.. like the hemostat gloves, just heavier, also lets

me get a nice grip on the rulers and not slip around.   Happier stitching for sure.. when I can

do so.

I found out Thurs./Fri., that I now can quilt in some designs, like crosshatch, and not have to use

the computer.. but the computer is my fav by far.

It will be a while before I will have time to do some curved cross hatching.  Wish I could do it now.  lol

Rita

Archived