what to invest in next?

I have a little money in my account and I think I need to get some templates to start learning custom work. 

Do you have any recommendations?  I know people have talked about the groovy rulers. 

Ideas would be appreciated.

I think next is going to have to be some big boards but I don't have the funds for that right now.

Thanks,

Joan

Joan...

My advice is that if you aren't sure what you want, don't get anything.

There are many choices of tools, and until you get your 'groove' you really don't know what you'll use.

I got a few tools early on that I never use.

And they just take up previous space in he studio.

Try and sew so more to see if you like working from the front or back before you buy.

JMHO.

Merry Christmas!

Joan,  do you have a small ruler with a straight edge so that you can stitch in the ditch.  

Before using any ruler however, you need to have an expanded base so that it will rest flat.

One of the first things you need to learn well for custom work is stitch in the ditch.  I have Jamie Wallen's little and big ruler, I prefer the big one. It is only 6" long.

The rulers have to be thicker than a cutting ruler, or they get caught under the hopping foot.

I think they are 1/4" thick.

I agree with the others, I'd not buy anything more until you have used the basic machine for

a few months.. maybe as much as 5-6 months.  See just what you can do and how you improve

and what you think you will need then.  That will be the time to make future investments.

Good Luck,

Rita

Joan, have you taken Kimmy Brunner's template class on Craftsy? It will probably be on sale over the holidays and she shows you what you can do with just a couple simple templates; good starter stuff. Her class is called Machine Quilting with templates - Creating Design Perfection. Might give you some ideas for simple designs that look great. She has some good border techniques, too.

I only have a short, straight ruler (about 5 inches long) and a set of circles. I use the straight ruler for 99% of my freehand custom work. I rarely use the circles and never use them for actually making circles, just use them for curves. I never bought any other specialty guides and have never wanted to. For circles I used my Gammill circle maker - the original style. (I have a Gammill machine)

Do as everyone else has suggested and wait a while. Get a short, straight guide and an extended base if you don't have one, then after a while you'll understand what you need.

Thank you for the replies. I should've mentioned that I have both of Jamie Wallen's rulers & an extended base.

I know that I want to make the cc's but beyond that I don't have a clue.

I'll check into Kimmy Brunner's class. I've been waiting for the classes to go on sale.

This weekend I will be practicing pebbles. Woohoo!

Thanks again,

Joan

Mandy, I have your long arm class in "My Craftsy" and plan to take it next! I received a link to it through my AQS newsletter and sent it to a couple of my friends; I didn't make the connection it was you until Lisa E told me! Congratulations!

Lisa, I'm not seeing Mandy's class in Craftsy.  Can you tell us the name??  

It's in the "Free Mini Class" section.  It's for how to overcome being new and nervous about your machine, or get back into using it after being away, with some games for loosening up and reminding ourselves that we can have fun and sometimes mistakes can lead to good things. 

I admit, I have been nervous to share. I know the tension is off in the beginning :/ we had to film that section in ten  minutes before the machine was packed up and and moved to a different state, so we made a tough decision to leave it in place because it is, after all, a class on working through mistakes. I was OK with it because I wanted to show you can still practice *something* even if it's not perfect, and for so many of us as we started out, this moment can become a real wrench in the works.  It becomes"I broke it/don't know how to fix it/it's not perfect and I'm so discouraged I'm not touching my machine again for months" moment.  In my area, I know 7 longarmers who *still* have someone else quilt their quilts because this happened to them: they're so afraid of their machine and it not being perfection they won't touch it.  I wanted to share with people that it's ok to be with practicing and over time they can get to the point where they can get all the details in balance at once, one aspect at a time.  My goal is to help people be joyful in their practice!  What we do is awesome and fun and rewarding, and what's the point in having a machine if we're not going to use it?  :)

Gosh you know what - I had myself pegged all wrong when I first got my machine.  I have had it a year now, and I knew I'd do some custom work...but I really thought I'd want boards and rulers and templates and pantos and all of it!  I have discovered that you really don't need much to do a lot.  I've been quilting on my long arm for about a year now, and I'm kind of a bare minimum type of gal anyhow - but I'd say as long as you have a ruler base, a straight ruler, and some curved cross hatch rulers you can do a TON of custom work!!  :)  I personally like to invest in books and inspiration (or classes!) over a lot of tools or gadgets that I know I probably won't use.  That's just me though - I know others LOVE their gadgets and doodads.

Just viewed your class, Mandy!  Wow, you did a great job, and you look so natural in front of the camera!!  The simple exercises are great reminders to warm up and stretch your limits.  I, too, use the body stretching exercises to keep myself limber and ache-free from long hours of quilting.  Great hints for every level of quilter!  Way to go, and would love to see more of your techniques!!

Joan,

I'd wait awhile until you buy rulers, too.  I took Kim Brunner's class at MQX, but I don't like doing all that ruler work on a quilt.  I prefer to just freehand it.  So my cc's may not be perfectly rounded, but that's the charm of the quilt.  I do like DeLoa's curved crosshatch rulers and I have the quiltazoid for crosshatching and circles, but they aren't making them anymore.  I use DeLoas itty bitty and castle ruler for ditch work.  I like the design of them.  But now Jamie Wallen came out with ones you hold differently.  That's the problem.  Someone is always coming up with a different design, so wait until you're positive you want and will use the ruler.  If you keep saving that money you might want to use it for a computer system, then you don't need any rulers.

I have bought lots of goodies and gadgets over the years, but there are only a very few that I use over and over again.

My flat, ruler base.  I keep it on the machine 90% of the time.  I have a tiny 2" x 4" ruler that I use lots.  I have a couple other rulers that I rely on... a 12x12 square, a 6 x 12 square, and a 6x 24 rectangle.  I use my CL long boards often.  I rarely use the actual Circle Lord, even after getting the front template. I have a few pantos and a lot of stencils.  Those also rarely get used.  One thing I keep thinking I'd like to have is the spool holder for the front of the machine, but then I realize I probably wouldn't use it much either.  I bought the TOWA gauge after everybody recommended it. I have used it.. NEVER.

I guess what I'm saying is this>>>> Think about the kind of quilting you do.  Do you do pantographs or custom?  Freehand or templates and rulers?  

Get what YOU will use most.. not what others recommend or what the latest trend is.   

JMHO

I've been thinking about what I use most, and it's not a machine gadget.I realized that I really love my centering tapes, and I have a couple, for measuring things off the frame.  I lay them out one on each side, and get a good feel for what is going to crop up later (and also because I'm always forgetting the numbers I just read, or leave my pad and pencil someplace un-handy).  I have different ruler sizes, but think I am going to get a small one and one for applique next.

If you can make it to a show like MQX or one of the shows where there is a chance to play with the machines, you may be able to find an opportunity to see how they work in person.  

Archived