Circle Lord "Cogs" Too Perfect?

I entered my "Star Wars" quilt that I quilted using the "Cogs" template in our local quilt show.  Big surprise at judging; the judge rated my piecing, color, design, quilting all superior.  Good news, right?   Unfortunately, she thought the quilting was computerized because it was "too perfect" and so I only got an Honorable Mention.  So, good news, the Cogs is Perfect; bad news, the Cogs is Perfect!  Oh well, my son loves his quilt, and I loved that the Cogs template was just the right touch for this quilt! :o

http://circlordcogs.blogspot.ca/

We had that happen at a local show. A friend of mine had quilted Baptist Fan on a quilt using circle templetes and it was beautiful. They disqualified the quilt because it was in a noncomputered category. The judge must have known something was up because after we finished judging she asked the room captain about the quilt and was shocked to learn it should not have been disqualified.

Got to love when you are so accurate that they think you have a computer. I think you should take it as a compliment of a job extremely well done! :)

You have my sympathy and also admiration of your skills!

If the quilt was entered in the correct category, the judge shouldn't second-guess the decision made by the intake staff. That's condescending to the entrant and calling you a liar/cheater in a subtle way. And why would a beautiful quilting job lose points because it was a computerized design? I don't get it.

Simalr thing happened to me-I was told I would have had the blue ribbon except my cornerstones were "fussy cut" .  They were NOT-they were appliqued!!

Why did'nt she look closer?  She would have seen the raw edges and stitch lines!!  I keep the comment form with my 2nd place ribbon and giggle at it every so often!! B)

My daughter said my applique was so perfect it fooled a judge-Just another way to look at it! :D

I vote it as "Best of Show."  :D

I saw it during conception and knew you would do a stupendous job!

Love ya Vickie!

You're a sweetie, Tonilyn! I guess it helps that both our families are Star Wars fans! The staff at the quilt venue voted it "Staff Favorite", and people came in both days of the show, and asked , " Where's the Star Wars quilt?"  Forgot to say, Love ya, too, Tonilyn!!

Cathy, I can't post pictures right now; it's on the Circle Lord site under "cogs" .  The link is in the original post at the top.

I LOVE IT!

That took alot of planning and careful placement to "interlock" the Cogs as you did and the piecing was great (love the colors you chose), what thread did you use - you can really see the great quilting design without being too distracting on the prints?

I LOVE IT!

That took alot of planning and careful placement to "interlock" the Cogs as you did and the piecing was great (love the colors you chose), what thread did you use - you can really see the great quilting design without being too distracting on the prints?

Thanks, Cathy!  I used Glide thread and Classic Magna Glide bobbins.  I moved the Cogs template dozens of times to make the design appear to overlap and rotate through space.  Lots of work, but it was worth it.  It gave just the effect I was looking for!  I used my 25+year collection of sky, stars and galaxy fabrics to go along with the Star Wars print.  Thank you for your kind comments!

Archived