New Iron

Don:  It depends on what she'll use it for.  At our sewing studio we use a gravity feed commercial steam iron.  It's set up in a specific location (pressing table), and it is used almost exclussively for quilting activities.

We replaced a Rowenta steam generator with it (BTW it's a Paciffic Steam) because the Rowenta didn't hold much water, and it leaked and sputtered.  The Pacific Steam has solved those problems.  That being said, it is by no means a portable iron.  Has to stay where it is because the water supply needs a heavy duty hanger, and is quite large.  It is heavy- some of the sewers like that, and some don't-  It will produce all the steam you want, and it does not leak or sputter.  For our application, it is outstanding.  Unless she likes to press clothing like they do at a laundry, I don't think I'd recommend it for that.  They're industrial, rated to go 24/7 and are re-buildable, so durability isn't an issue.  We've been using it for nearly two years now and are quite satisfied with it.  Jim  BTW I think I paid about $170 for it.

I gave up on expensive irons. I wanted a dry iron as I don't use steam for pressing while piecing and I did not want an iron that had auto shut off. I had purchased several of the Continental dry irons which I loved but they don't last more than 6-7 months. They are not built to stay on all day. I found an iron at Wal-Mart for about $10 that is a steam iron, but I always use it dry. It does not have auto shut off. I have had it about 7 months and so far it is doing a great job. My only complaints are that I wish it would get a tad bit hotter than it does but for $10 I think it is great and I wish it had a flat sole plate with no holes. I guess I can't get everything I want for $10 :huh:. In the past I have had a Euro-Steam (boiler inside), Rowentas - they all began to leak, Oliso - died after about 8 months, EuroPro, and others. This $10 iron beats them all!

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-Stiromeglio-Compact-Ironing-Pressurized/dp/B000B76MEA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391821436&sr=8-4&keywords=steam+generator+irons.  I have had it for several years and it has been a great buy.  It does not have auto turn off and creates lots of steam when needed.  The only negative is that it does take several minutes to heat up.  It can be used either with steam or as a dry iron.

Vickie:  Looking at the photos that come up on Yahoo, I think it's a PSI 5E.  It's gravity feed, and not steam generator (the steam generators are a lot more expensive).  There are other gravity feed irons out there that might serve as well.  If you order one of them, make sure it has a heat shield.  These irons get hot.  A friend bought one without the heat shield, and she has to wear gloves to use it.  They do not shut off automatically, so you must remember to turn it off when you've finished using it for the day.  One other thing, the iron sits flat, you do not stand it up.  Comes with a teflon tray you sit the iron on when you're not pressing with it.  Jim

Archived