do you use the built-in thread cutter?

catsigler

Being new at this, I don't see the value in having a thread cutter that leaves tails that must be trimmed off later. Soooo, I thought I'd ask what others who have been at it awhile think of the thread cutter. And if you don't use it, did you leave it on the machine or remove it? (I don't even know if that's an option.)

I never use it. If it wouldn't mess with the warranty and if I wouldn't have to buy a new extended base (that would fit w/o cutter) I would remove it.

I bring the bobbin thread up and snip it there or in most cases bury it. The last thing I want to do after finishing a quilt is clean up all the tails!:P

Patty

After some hassles with the cutter and wanting to lighten the load I took the cutter off of the Millennium that I used to use and did not miss it (except the weight). Then I was able to use a slimmer better base extender that I just left on all the time. Just one view of the cutter.

Some people who find the thread cutter a necessity are the pantograph quilters... because the stitching ends in the binding area, so they are not concerned with the hanging threads. The thread cutter eliminates the need to reach across to the front to pull up the bobbin thread.

That being said, I never use the thread cutter myself....Maybe because I am too lazy to do any additional work to the back of the quilt after I unload it!!:P

I pull the bobbin thread to the top and snip both at once- Even if I am leaving tails for the piecer to bury knots (Notice that I do not bury knots for my customers - Yep, laziness again :o).... I still pull both threads to the top.:D

Never use it. Like Tina I like bringing my bobbin to the top. It just comes naturally to me now.

In fact my thread cutter isn't working, probly need a new blade or something. I just haven't cared to address it.

I hate the threads hanging on the back and I'm lazy too and don't want to go back and clip. YUCK!!

I do not like burying the knots too much and would want my customer to do this due to time contraints. I'd rather be working on the next quilt.

Nope - never use it. I tried it a few times - didn't like it. I do as the others

have mentioned, stitch a few locking stitches, "pop" up my knot / bobbin

thread will then get cut with the top thread. I do not like to have to look

over the whole back of a quilt - shouldn't have to.

My favorite is to work with pantos but I would never return a quilt to a customer fringed all along the edge with thread tails. I believe presentation of a quilt should be as professional as the workmanship and always trim threads. That being said I haven't used the thread cutter because of the short thread it left but may retry the cutter with some of the ideas presented here. Always such good ideas and so much to learn from you gals.

Archived