Tips on sitting and quilting with Millennium

Hi Mercedes,  I have you tried a saddle chair?? I recently purchased one, and have used it quite a few times. I use it mostly when I am working in a certain area or doing SID, anything that I really have to concentrate on.

When I am standing, I use a gel mat, since by laminate floor is on concrete, and is sooo bad on my lower back. 

Hopefully some other quilters will chime in with some other ideas.

Karen

Yes, I have a saddle stool and a regular chair that moves up to the height of the machine.  I think my problem is that I'm moving across the quilt and seem to be stretching all the time to reach where I need to go.   I don't seem to be able to synch up the quilting with the chair movements.  I have to stop continually and move the chair.  Talk about uncoordinated!  If there are any exercises to practice how to synch these two up I'd love to try them!

I have carpet (over concrete floor) and then I have an anti-fatigue mat on top of that when I stand.  It helps some, but I cannot scoot my saddle stool on either surface.  I've been having to use it more than I'd like to lately.  I have to get off it every time I want to move it, too.  I know that sounds trivial, but when you're in pain to begin with, I know it's not fun.

Cindy:  Have you thought about a hard surface mat to use under your stool?  That would let you roll.  They used to use them in offices that had carpet - haven't been in an office in so long I don't know if they still use them or not.  The office kind wouldn't be the right size.  If I were to set out to make one, I'd get some laminate flooring and glue together a section about 3 x 12 tht I could roll my stool on.  I'd probably slide it under the table when not in use.  Just a thought.  Jim

Heidi, what is the brand name of your saddle stool and where might I order one? Sounds like I would use that stool. I had a lumbar fusion in December and still can't play on my machine without having my back screaming at me! Thanks.

Becky

Becky I got mine a long time ago and have no idea where I bought it from.  I bought it online.  Jamie Wallen uses one he loves.  I can email him and see if he can tell me what brand it is.  

Becky - I had a three-level lumbar fusion and I love my saddle stool.  I think I got my saddle stool from bizchair.  When you look at them, make sure you get the one with the ring around the shaft above the wheels.  At times, it's really nice to be able to adjust and put your fee on that instead of on the floor.  I notice that many of the stools don't have that.  

You have my sympathy as a survivor of fusion surgery.  It is definitely not a pleasant thing.

Becky:  I just checked, my staddle stool is a Star ST205.  Christina uses the same one I think.  I'm satisfied with it.  I think I paid $120 for it a couple of years ago.  You can find them offered online for a bunch of different prices.  Shop.  BTW, it comes with the steel foot rest ring others have ID'd as a feature to get.  Jim

Thanks to all who took the time to help me decide on the saddle stool-don't know how to respond to individual posts-I am going  to order one from  Biz chair with the  ring today. I am not ready to just give up my quilting . Hopefully will be able to gradually  stay at it for longer periods of time- just not as patient as I should be. I don't quilt for the public anymore so that's a plus. Did sell my Millie a few years ago after my back injury but DH had a nonSR older Freedom and it sews so well that I can still "play". Thanks again.

Becky

I have been researching these saddle stools since hearing about them on forums.  I have had 2 neck fusions and really need upper back and neck support when I use my sit down machine.  It seems that saddle stools have no back on them, do they?  Not sure if they would work for me.

here's one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057CMQZ8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3O22IH78W1BYK

but not currently available and no foot ring...

Archived