New Millie

My Millie was delivered a few weeks ago! I have done a few practice sandwiches and am looking forward to the beginner class with Dawn next month. I decided to load a quilt today and just go for it! It is a quilt for my daughter who has been patiently waiting for it. I think I need to adjust my tension as the top thread is loose when moving to the left and there are loose threads underneath as well. I think it is also possible that I might have the quilt too tight. Many things to experiment with! I am looking forward to learning from everyone on the forums!

It's like jumping into a cold pool - just do it and you'll be glad you did and wonder why it took you so long to get in!  You will feel more comfortable each day and get to know your  machine better…and the more you feel comfortable, the more you will focus on the quilting and not the machine and really enjoy creating quilts!

Yeah, until you get the feel of the tension thing...... I suggest using the hassle free threads like So Fine 30 on top and bottom. It will make your life less hectic.

So that stated, the main issue with new longarm quilters is they don't have their top tension tight enough. 9 times out of 10 that is always the problem. So, get your bobbin tension set and then only tweak the top. Keep practicing on a scrap fabric quilt until you get the tension set right. Then move to the real quilt. 

Don't fret too much. Just experiment.

Our machines are industrial machines but........they are made for us to use and to adjust.

Domestic sewing machines were made to be adjusted too, owners felt if they sewed with the automatic tension they would have no problem.

Do you use the same comb to comba baby's hair, elderly hair, afro hairstyles, no you adjust the comb.

As sewers we have to adjust the tension to accomodate different threads.

As Shana suggests get the bobbin right, use the one that came with the machine.....  then adjust the top tension until it looks and feels good on the top and bottom. 

I also like to mark the tension dial with one tiny dot at 12 o'clock before you start to adjust so you are aware of how much you need to turn it.  15 minute increments not 5 minutes.

The screw inside the tension post is almost level with the outside of the tension dial when you receive the machine.  If you have to wind it in or out lots from there then check your thread path.

Thank you everyone! I am using Glide. I need to switch to So fine- my perference so far. I will work with the tension until I get it! I appreciate everyone's comments- I am sure I will have many questions to come! I still walk into my sewing room and can't believe I own a longarm!

Congrats!!! Go for it.  You will find your comfort zone in no time.  I prefer Glide thread and bobbins and Sew Fine is my back-up choice.  I think King Tut is great thread but a bit of a challenge for tension.  I use bottom line bobbins with King Tut.  Breathe and have fun!.

Archived