First "Custom" Quilt Attempt

This is my very first attempt at custom quilting on my Millie. It was all freehand, no marking or rulers (well, because I don't know how to do either...yet). I hope you can see some of the quilting in the photo, but basically, in the cross-stitched blocks, I stippled around everything. In the sashings, I just quilted with curves. The border is just meandered.

Any and all feedback welcome - positive or negative - I can take it...I really want to learn!

post-63356-0-47292900-1402937256_thumb.jpg

I looked at your blog and just love the hand quilted patriotic star quilt!  You did a good job on this.  Now for the constructive criticism part...  I would recommend getting some curved rulers if you don't have any.  Rulers were much easier for me to learn to use than learning to smoothly follow a pantograph. I would recommend that you take the time to find the center of each of the squares and mark that with either a chalk pencil, purple marker, or frixion pen.  The curves will then intersect in the center.  I'm very picky about my quilting, as are most of the customers I quilt for.  After longarming for 6 years, I still prefer to use curved rulers or something to make sure my curves are uniform.  Bead board lines in the outer border would also have worked well for this quilt. 

Very nice, especially for your first time freehanding! 

Marking is easy with blue water erase markers (test on a scrap first, to make sure the fabric dye won't run), purple air erase markers, chalk pencils, etc.  I used to be so intimidated by rulers, but Kimmy Brunner's class on Craftsy really helped, and I highly recommend it.  You will need a base expander to use rulers, but if you want more precise shapes, they are great.  Freehand curves are also nice, just a matter of what you (and your customer, if you are quilting for others) want.  I agree with Debbie, rulers are easier for me than doing pantos, which I still don't do!

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments!

Debbie & Betsy, I do have a Hartley base expander as recommended by Dawn and a couple of rulers (one 12" straight and one made by HQ with a straight edge and curved top that a friend gifted to me). I haven't even tried to use them yet and will have to watch a few videos, etc to even learn how! I did consider marking this quilt, but I was so intimidated to try anything that I just jumped in and hoped for the best?!?!?

As for pantos, I have tried a few and have had good luck with them. I can also do a decent meandering rose, stars, loops, etc freehand. I'll post a few pictures of those soon, but being such a newbie to machine quilting, I've been pretty intimidated to post here. I'm also working on that!

Peachy  Do not be intimidated by what you see on here or want to post.  we were all beginners at one stage and like you were hesitant to post.  Some of us have posted so much that we no longer have the space to post pictures :(

We still like to enjoy the journey of all the newbies and help them along their path to quilting.  PPP  and more PPP helps.

The more you quilt and force yourself to quilt things you are uncomfortable with will help you greatly in your quilting career.  At least, that's how it's worked for me. :)   Most of all, don't get discouraged, and don't compare your work to those who have been doing it for years.  Rather, compare your work in six months to what you're doing now.  The forum is a great resource for quilting inspiration and what to quilt in various areas, etc.  I consider myself "still learning".

You are well on your way to being a marvelous quilter. Great first custom!!! In order to improve on the kind of quilting you have done here, I would recommend that you get a couple of curved rulers and also make some registration marks with chalk or something so those cc's can be centered and more uniform.

Great job :)

Jess

Peachy, if that is your first custom, you must have been quilting in your dreams.

My trying to find diff quilt stitches for diff blocks is the most challenging! 

I just don't get the ideas..

You have done great.. love your quilting selections.

Rita

This is beautiful.  I use Pam Clarke's stencils for registration lines.  I have one with 1/2 inch, 1 inch, and the diagonal.  I just use a foam brush, some white chalk and mark, then wipe off and finally use the air compressor. No more chalk marks.  

Archived