Not about the quilting!

So. The quilting is nothing special, but the quilt is.  I started this quilt a few months back as a Christmas present for my grandson who was 15.  It took a lot of time and thought and I changed the design a couple of times. I also had to plan a move back to the west coast.  Moving forward, I got the quilt finished on Thursday and quilted it on Saturday, took the machine apart and on the moving truck today. Sheesh. Nothing like the last minute.  I would have liked to custom quilt it but I am not up to it and did not have the time.  About the quilt:  My grandson turned 16 today, which is when I gave him the quilt. He is a guitarist and very talented. The quilt is a Nan Loose pattern that I took apart, reinterpreted and made my own.  The guitars have strings on them made of a very fine yarn with silver threads,  except for the yellow one which is pearl cotton. Who knew you are not supposed to run pearl cotton as a top thread through your DSM?  I did it anyway and it worked beautifully.  The pictures are of 7 of the top 10 guitarists I found on several lists, printed onto colorfast inkjet and appliquéd to fabric.  On the inner border, I printed out the names of 8 leading guitarists and pieced them into the border.    The binding is a beautiful variegated I happened to stumble across as I finished packing. The backing is the softest yummiest red minkee and I used a dark burgundy thread that looks good. I might have gone with something different if I had a bigger stash but I only had 8 spools to choose from , and it turned out fine.  There is only one decent quilt shop and it snowed 8 inches that day so no way was I getting there.  My grandson's reaction:  OH MY GOD GRANDMA.  Did you do all this for me?  And I got a huge hug. Actually several.  He cuddled up under it and watched a movie.   Ladies, that's my story and I am sticking to it   

post-1949-0-30119100-1424831679_thumb.jpg

post-1949-0-14389100-1424831693_thumb.jpg

post-1949-0-73397400-1424831705_thumb.jpg

post-1949-0-19152200-1424831725_thumb.jpg

post-1949-0-41282800-1424831740_thumb.jpg

Thank you everyone.  I will be crying for the first 1000 miles of my very long 2842 mile road trip but at least I know he has a piece of my heart with him forever.  He already said his quilt is going to college with him. He was pretty speechless as he looked at everything.  It was so cool to reach his heart like that.  Hard to do with a teenage boy sometimes.  This child is the spitting image of my late husband so we are especially close anyway.

Thank you again for the kind comments. Now I am hitting the road to come home.

Oh my, the last sentence just brought tears to my eyes.  What a treasure you have created for him.  It's a beautiful quilt and your grandson sounds like a dear for appreciating such work you did on this.  I'm sure it was a labor of love.  Wonderful memories you are creating!

Archived