From Woodworking To Quilting!!

I mentioned when I first joined this wonderful forum that before quilting I was a woodworker.  Had planned on doing that when I retired but health problems decided differently and that's when I chose quilting.  I get the same satisfaction from working with fabric as I did working with wood but I do still miss my woodworking.

Thought ya'll might allow me to post some of my instruments that I made over the years.  I mainly made musical instruments.  Had a pretty good part time job going to dulcimer festivals teaching autoharp workshops and selling my autoharps and dulcimers.

The last picture is a picture of my wife playing her custom dulcimer to our new grandson that was spending the night at our house in his new swinging crib I made him.

David

post-66081-0-81226500-1430567787_thumb.jpg

post-66081-0-64772800-1430567788_thumb.jpg

post-66081-0-04684600-1430567797_thumb.jpg

post-66081-0-39929900-1430567974_thumb.jpg

post-66081-0-39139300-1430567997_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work.  My son dabbles in woodwork and has made some beautiful furniture and accessories of which I have some.  I even got him to make me a combination shelf/quilt hanger from a picture that I took at a quilt shop once and he has made me a quilt ladder.  I think if he profession ever falls through, he could be a great woodworker.  

David, my husband is a woodworker, too, so he really understands and appreciates my quilting hobby. :) We have a Dulcimer he made in his high school years on display in our living room; pretty cool. Yours are absolutely stunning and beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Just to keep from getting you confused picture #1 and #3 are autoharps....the last picture is a mountain dulcimer.....the next to last picture has both mountain dulcimers and autoharps.  The short instruments are autoharps.  The long hour glass shaped instruments and the one teardrop instrument are mountain dulcimers.

Thanks for all the nice comments.  I leave Wednesday with my camper for 5 days to stay at the Lone Star State Dulcimer Festival here in Texas.  Workshops, music on stage all day and into the night....sitting around the RV's and playing music with small groups.  Very laid back and relaxing.  Been doing it for over 25 years.

David

Mamu

It's possible there might be a dulcimer club around your area.  You could google dulcimer clubs and see.  We have a great club here in Houston.  I have two more weeks of being it's president for the 5th time in 26 years and then I get to pass the reigns over.  Then maybe I can go back to playing instead of making sure everybody else gets to play.  LOL.

It's a lot of fun and the dulcimer is really easy to learn to play.

David

You are right David there are two clubs in Montana....both quite a distance from me.  I will try an contact the closet one and get information from them.  I really want to learn how to play one of these amazing instruments!  of course would have to purchase one first...... ;)

Archived