Your Starts and Stops!!!

There is a lady in my church that has been in the hospital for the past 6 months.  She has RA really really bad and is in a wheelchair and her little hands are drawn up so bad she can barely write her lesson plan each week.  She ended up with some type of really bad infection that almost killed her twice.  I've been filling in for her for those 6 months.

I decided to make her a prayer quilt.  It's a scrappy string quilt.  I used my left over stash and made the colors as bright as I could so that it would be cheerful when she looked at it or used it.  Once quilted I'm also going to put the string ties on it so that her class can pray over the quilt and tie a knot in the thread.

In the red 4" border I'm just doing a simple stippling.  In the large blocks I want to use circles within circles.  I have a jig (copied after one of my woodworking circle cutting jigs) and it works great for different size circles.  This brought a question to mind.

Typically, to stop I normally take the 3 or 4 very small stitches to lock my stitches.  I know for show quilts you hide the stops.  My question is do any of you (for your own quilts) ever backstitch to lock your stitches as they do in garment sewing or do you just take the usual 3-4 short stitches? 

With these circles within circles that's going to be an awful lot of starts and stops.  I'll probably still use the 3-4 short stitches but now I'm curious what you folks do.

Thanks

David

I feel like I can knot and bury almost as quickly as I can reduce stitches, unless of course I'm in manual mode.  I just pull the bobbin to the top, tie a knot as close to the quilt top and then bury it.  I use the easy thread needles or the side load needle, I think called spiral eye.  I guess I'm just used to it.

Lol.  I agree with Libby.  I'm so nervous my stitches will come out after a few washings and I'd hate it.  So I too do tiny stitches forward and back, just to be safe.  I don't do a lot of drastically different thread colors yet as I gain skill and confidence.  I mostly use blending thread, so it doesn't show much and I feel secure.  

Beth

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of the Spiral needle but I like the sound of it as I knot and bury everything as I go along.  It seems they are only made/available in the States (I'm UK).  Postage is quite high at approx $10 - it can only weigh a few grams!!

Anyway can anyone who uses them tell me which size I should buy?

Thanks

Chris

Archived