ARRRGHHH!!!!!!

I hate cheapskates. My husband took a phone call for me while I was at work today, a lady wanting a queen size quilt done. He told her I would call her back as soon as I got home, which I did. She was a very nice lady and she was very excited by the fact that I could quilt her quilt on a professional longarm machine and have it done in only 2 weeks. We discussed quilting options, batting choices, and backing requirements. She decided an edge to edge meander would be good since the fabric was quite busy. She was all set to meet me at the fabric store this Saturday to drop off her quilt. Right before she hung up she asked me for a price so she could get the money from her husband. I figured it out 90x108. $97.00, then I offered her the customary 10% new customer discount, so it wound up being right at $87. She got irate, insisting that she had never heard of paying that much to have a quilt done. I explained to her that I have a professional machine, have had professional training classes, and have had quilts accepted into national competitions, plus winning several smaller local awards for my quilting. She just went on and on about how she could get it done at another lady for $25. I tried to explain that I know that the other lady uses a DSM on a wooden frame, which is a nice setup but doesn't really compare to the longarm. She finally just said, "Okay, I'll think about it and call you back". Experience has taught me that she most likely will not call back.

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I get any customers? Here I am trying to convince my husband that we need to upgrade machines and I can't even get a simple meander quilting job.

I'm disgusted and depressed again.

Sorry for the whining, but it gets so D*** frustrating.

Teresa,

Move to Michigan. I would have charged her $121.50 and I am booked until November. I got 3 new quilts in today and put 2 other customers on my list to call when I get to their name. I am NOT complaining or bragging :), just saying I have those type of customers also and fine they want a $25 dollar quilting job that is exactly what it will look like. They want their creation to be great then that is what you will do.

Hang in there girl. You do a great job and I wish you were closer, we could quilt the world!

Or, move to California.....I would have charged even more!

How long would it take to load that quilt, quilt that quilt - even with a large meander - take it off, clean your machine, do the paperwork, etc?

All that is time and wear........

My dh tells me I don't charge enough! I agree but we do have to be reasonable and go with what the market will bear.....also, I am still getting my feet wet in this business.....

Good luck and hang in there! You deserve to be paid for what your time is worth!

Sheryl,

I can't move to Michigan until I retire, and at the rate this quilting is going I'm never going to get to retire. Next time we drive up for a visit I'll have to stop by and see you. My MIL tells me the little yarn store in Big Rapids has a Gammill with a Statler and they are booked up for months at a time.

Maybe when I get my new machine I'll get more business.

YOU ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG!!! Get that out of your head. That's a customer you don't want. I wouldn't worry about it. In the Atlanta area longarmers are charging much more and there are many of them in my area. She will get what she pays for and I wish her the best. Hang in there!

Yup--if you are a serious quilter you do not want that type of client. You just DON'T want that, so don't even think about it anymore.

By the way, I would have charged her about $145($.015 per square inch).

DO NOT go after low-end business. They'll tell all their low end friends and you'll work really hard and make peanuts. Believe me, there are tons of people out there looking for cheap, cheap labor. DO NOT cater to the low end! You will hate yourself for that. Better to have 1 or 2 quality clients with creative opportunities for you than several lower end jobs where you have to scrape to achieve $3 an hour.

God Bless.

Jill Kerekes

I agree with Beth...that is a customer you don't want. The woman who is quilting for $25 is cheating herself. There is no way in the world she is making any money. Unfortunately, she isn't smart enough to realize that she is working for pennies and when she does...if she does...she will probably kick herself.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Remind this woman (or this type) that we are not working in sweat shops in the third world countries. If she wants a proffesional job done she will need to pay for it! Those poor women and children slave away for mere pennies and the more they do, the more pennies they recieve which of course leads to infierior quilts and continued dreadfull working conditions!! And they all go on sale at department stores!! You are NOT doing anything wrong!! These are all learning expierences you are "getting out of the way" now. So WHEN (not if) your client list appears you can just dive rite in!!!!!!

Sewhappy

Thanks for the reminders, guys. But I'm dying for business right now. I have done 13 quilts this year, only one for a paying customer. I'm going to stop doing QOV quilts since I'm spending a fortune on batting (even using the cheaper polyester).

On the up side, I have had two people where I work approach me this week about doing quilts for them. I need to talk to them both a little more to make sure they actually follow through, but it's a positive start.

I totally agree with the above responses - you don't need a customer like that!

No matter what you do, she has it in her head that $87 isn't a "value". You will NOT change her mind. Much better to send her off to the $25 lady. (I can't believe there is such a person who would do that size quilt for $25 -- INSANE.)

Keep showing your work at shops and guilds and someone who wants QUALITY will search you out. ;)

Guest Linda S

I would have just said, "well, you get what you pay for!" and left it at that. You do not need that customer. Trust me -- you don't want her either. Don't deal with people who are going to nickel and dime you to death. You know what you're worth. Demand that you get it.

Linda

Originally posted by Linda S

I would have just said, "well, you get what you pay for!" Linda

Teresa,

That is just what would also have fallen out of my mouth as well....you get what you pay for....

I know its been hard to deal with these types, I too have had a few....and it does make me feel sick to my tummy when I loose a customer. But then I slap myself and realize that I didn't need her or the headache that would have come afterwards.

:PSmile at this....at least someone knows you are out there....otherwise the phone wouldn't have rung. I just wish my crystal ball wasn't broken...I would tell you that it will ring again real soon, but the darn thing is on the fritz. Silly think always bails when I need it. You aren't doing anything wrong, just hang in there you are worthy.

Another idea, when you first start talking to a customer, ask her what her budget is. If she says $25, you can talk about your minimum fee (whatever it is, mine is $50), explain why (time spent consulting, winding bobbins, loading, paperwork, dropoff....), and then offer something that's within her budget or at least as close as you get.

Talking design before fee is a negotiating trick that serves the customer, not the quilter. She can hook you in to wanting to quilt her quilt and get you invested in quilting her quilt, both with the time you spend talking to her and your mentally wanting to quilt her quilt, and that's the best time for her to dicker you down.

She wanted to work with you or she wouldn't have called you in the first place. She already supposedly knows the person who can do it on the cheap.

By stating up front what your price range is, you put her on notice that you value your services and she should to. Some people are master negotiators. Maybe their circumstances require them to be. Respect that, but become better at negotiating yourself. Think of it as just another part of your job.

Give yourself some room in your price structure for people who want it cheap. And make sure you have something more expensive "for the people who want to pay a little more for something that really highlights their piecing." You'd be surprised how many people there are who shop based on price---the other way, bragging about how much they had to spend to get something, "but it was worth it."

A line I kept hearing at MQX: "It's not your job to make their hobby affordable." If they really wanted to cover their babies affordably, they'd be buying the mass-made comforters at the big box stores.

Martha, I agree that I probably should have asked her the price range first, but I figured a penny a square inch was plenty cheap enough. There is no way I could do that big quilt for $25 or $30. It would take an hour to load and unload, then quilting time. Even with a simple meander it would take at least an hour to quilt it. The lady who does it for $25 has a DSM with a wooden frame (no brand name bashing). That big of a quilt would be a real headache to do on a DSM, all that bunching and cramming. I can't even imagine it.

I agree, you are not doing anything wrong the lady that is charging $25.00 is why you are not getting the bussiness. But if this woman called you instead of going to the other woman maybe the other woman is taking too long getting quilts done or perhaps she isn't taking new ones in right now...one can only hope.

I,ll start praying that this other "SO Called" Quilter will loose use of her machine permantly so she will no longer be able to undercut you and others so much. ;) Your only other option is to keep trying to get your name out there and educate the quality you can offer. And maybe even have a heart to heart with the woman who's charging $25...perhaps she is not aware what the going rate is for quilting and should be informed.

Hang in there.

Joann

Hey Teresa,

I have seen your work posted and you are worth way more than the $87 you were going to charge her. I am not even half as good yet and my fee would have been more than yours with a 15% discount. For some reason people are paying me. Keep your chin up and keep at it. You are such a talented quilter. As stated be before you don't want that kind of customer, my guess is you wouldn't be able to please her no matter what you do. Don't sell yourself short just to get a customer. Otherwise others will expect the same rate. And you can't work for peanuts.

Happy Quilting!

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

Hey Teresa

Here are some hints to increase your client load. Show your quilts at your local guild in show and tell. Join more small quilt groups and show your quilts. Take an ad out in your local guild newsletter. Give a $50 gift certificate as a door prize or better yet as a raffle prize at your local guild. Keep gettin your name out. Give everyone your card. Give 2 or 3 to customers. Tell customers you give discount for new referals. Good Luck!

Patti in Estacada:)

Teresa,

This is a difficult industry, I don't care what anyone says. I read a post last week of someone who had just had her machine for a few weeks and already had 3 quilts and everything looks rosy...but as we know, it is not always that way nor does it stay that way. Honest truth.

I wish I had some magic wand to wave to help you. You would think that there would be tons of quilters in your area that would want a very good quilter quilting their quilts. You may need to try to market the out of state people, how to do that I have not clue. Other than dropping your cards in every fabric/quilt store outside of your state. If your web address is on your cards, then they can see what you can do.

My business comes and goes like the wind! One week my phone is ringing off the wall, the next 3 months I don't have one single call. I wish it were consistant so I could quit my real job and do what I love doing. Not at this point. At least I have calls and about 3 consistant customers. I hope you can come up with something that works for you. If I think of anything or hear any great ideas, you'll be the first to know.

Good luck

MB

Yep she is definatly a cheap skate! I would not have wasted my breath explaing to her why your machine is better than the lady with the wooden frame though. Just know that your competition with that wooden frame is going to corner the market of those that just want cheap quilting.

My best advice is that you just take the customers that do come your way and treat them wll.

What I did in the beginning was to give out 25% discounts to everyone. I did not make alot of money but I did do alot of quilts and gained alot of experience. Then the discounts went to 20% and now they are pretty much gone. I have even raised my allover meander price from .7 cents per square inch to a whopping 1 cent a square inch. People are not knocking down my door yet but I have had a steady stream of quilts comming in so far this year and have heard that people really love my work.

I live in a place where the is alot of competion and also there are not alot of quilters. I get some of my business by mail and it has been slow. Some people like those in California have people knocking on their door from day one. Just take it one quilt at a time. When you have no customer quilts work on your own stuff and make it knock your socks off georgous...................then you have something to show for your work.

Believe me you lost that customer before you started. I usually try to bring up cost at the beginning of the conversation as I do not want to have them run away after I have spent all my energy going over all the details and then drop the price on them at the end.

Originally posted by chickenscratch

Right before she hung up she asked me for a price so she could get the money from her husband.

Some how, I think the above comment is the root of the problem. But, hey, if she thinks she can get a great job for $25, go for it.

Gail

Teresa,

Here's a thought from me: I have a hand made quilt that was given to me about 10 years ago from my dear MIL. This is before she knew better about mailing quilts to complete strangers who are longarmers (she knows better now). Anyway, I think she shipped it to someone in the L48 who advertized in a magazine that quilted for "cheap." When she got the quilt back, it stunk like cigarette smoke. :(

And guess what....after many years of much love and use by me, I have this beautiful hand-made log cabin quilt (that I still love dearly) that is quilted with a very, very large/widely-spaced/huge meandering wave-like design pantograph. To give you an idea about the size of the meander, in looking at the pantograph, I can't imagine it took more than 20 minutes to quilt the entire quilt (it's King sized). And, I think the thread that was used to quilt it was probably low quality (not meant for topstitching) as I see many places on the quilt where the thread has dissintegrated and broken.

So, if this "customer" wants to get her stuff quilted cheaply, there are people who provide that level of service. She'll end up with a real wide extremely boring (no personality) meander (like something you'd get from a cookie-cutter factory mass-production line) and in a few years, the topstitching will start to fall apart.

Eventually, if she's got half a brain in her head, she'll learn that with a few extra dollars invested up front, it will help to make her quilt last for many many decades of wear and tear and every-day use.

So, that said, I can suffice to say that this "customer" is either: 1) uneducated and doesn't know any better; 2) is too cheap and doesn't really care about her quilts; 3) only has half a brain in her head; or 4) all of the above. :P;)

I only have a mid-arm, and no way can I compare my work with what a long arm can do. But for that size quilt 90x108, I would have charge a min. of $117 for simple merandering.

I can only image what kind of quality I would recieve with a $25 dollar job.

I have often wondered that myself....you see ads in the back of magazines all the time that offer any size quilt for $25 or $35 dollars which generally includes the batting and postage as well. I have way better things to do with my life than to waste it on someone else's quilt that I will only make MAYBE $10 on...Postage on a queen size quilt can run up to $20.00 across country.

If these people are thinking that they are doing the customer a favor.

I don't think so, but until that customer has a quilt done by a real quilter they will never understand the difference between quality of stitches and the mastering of a longarm. So until then I guess we just pat these types on the head and say poor you. what a waste.

Don't get me wrong....I use my DSM for some customer quilts as well, but trust me that aren't getting them for $25.00 and the ones I do use it on are usually just wallhangings. I treasure my shoulders way to much to man handle even a small twin size quilt, so for me its not worth the aches and pains for only $25.00.

Archived