Favorite Domestic Sewing Machine

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my New Home Memory Craft 6000! New Home is now Janome. My machine is almost 25 years old. Never been in the shop for any work. It does so well, I can?t justify updating. But I keep looking and drooling and the newer Janomes. I?ll stay with them when I do get a new one someday.

Catherine

Yay, Linda Ramona and Linda Stellar! I'm with you. I've owned a Singer, and White and before both of them I learned on an old cast-iron (or whatever metal they're made of) Singer my mom sewed with. No, it didn't have the treddle. That was my grandmother's White. I traded in my very first machine, my parents gave it to me for my 17th birthday, for the White. I went with White then because my Grandma's machine was a White, and she'd been a professional seemstress once.

I bought my Bernina in 2002, when the new one was the embroidery model, and the 153 and 163 were going out the door. I chose 153QE because it was the less expensive with the sale price, and because I didn't really think I needed all the extra of the 163. I just wanted to sew quilt tops on it, and possibly quilt them too. Then I didn't get to it until this year, so now it's a dinosaur in Bernina's eyes, but I LOVE it. When I was looking for a new machine I told them "all I want is a machine that doesn't jump off the table when you sew fast". I was sick and tired of plastic machines, that's how I ended up with Bernina. The only complaint I have is that my Virty is sometimes rather finicky, but that's usually when I've pushed her too hard in a direction she doesn't want to go, LOL! Lately she's been a dream, even quilting that big donation quilt (only a twin, but huge to Virty!).

But she is truly too small for serious quilting on anything larger than a placemat, in my book. Love my Virty, still wanna Millie!! Whine, whine, whine.

It was nice to see you pro's also use my machine. :)

I have had two Elna's in my lifetime. The first mechanical one is still going strong, and it is here for out-of-town friends who come to sew. I traded up....at least 10 years ago, I think....for a Quilter's Dream Elna. It is wonderful. I have a local dealer (fingers crossed), but I have never needed them (fingers crossed double). Reasonably priced, reliable machines, in my experience.

Sounds like there are a lot of good choices out there.

I had 2 Bernina's in 25 years from 1979 forward and still have an 830, a work horse...BUT I bought a Pffaf Creative 1475 in 1992 and love that machine and wouldn't trade it for the world, it finally gave me trouble last year and needed new brushes..well it probably had about 500,000 miles on it..so that wasn't sew bad :D

I LOVE my Pfaff 2140 (upgraded to a 2170) and I LOVE it!!!! Did I say that already? When I was going to purchase I asked my dealer and long time friend why go Pfaff and not Janome; she gave me a long list of reasons but told me to take piecing and just go sew on a Janome. Long story short, the Pfaff won hands down and I kept my old Pfaff (think its a 1475?) and my kids piece on it when I am using my machine and love to still have it around when I am using my machine for embroidery and so I can still piece. I did some major sewing on my friend's Bernina and after the first 1/2 hour I was quietly wishing for my Pfaff. The Bernina didn't move fabric nearly as well and the most frustrating was getting the bobbin case to seat in properly. On the Pfaff I just kinda throw it in (much the same as on my Milli) and I kept on having the thread all bunch up underneath because the bobbin case wasn't put in "just right". I sew with lots of ladies that all have Janomes and invariably they all say they wish they had Pfaff's walking foot. So there, that's my opinion. Go try out all the machines and then choose.

Cher

I've had a Bernina 440QE for a little over a year now, and it has transformed my sewing/quilting. (Prior to this I had a Featherweight and an early electronic Singer.)

Not only is the stitch quality from my 440QE absolutely perfect but the little conveniences that are built into it make sewing a joy. I have the BSR (came free with it) and I use it frequently. Recently I added the embroidery module but haven't had time to use it yet. I use my machine for both quilting and sewing clothes. I will forever be a Bernina fan and evangelist.

I have the Husqvarna Viking Designer SE which is my machine of choice. I get scared taking it out to classes so I bought a white for that. It would be a REALLY bad thing if something happened to my Designer SE. *sob sob*

I also have a Necchi which is more of an industrial machine for when I have to sew new marine vinyl pieces for our boat.

I also have the Husqvarna Viking 936 serger which I LOVE. I couldn't justify buying a serger at first expecially having such an awesome sewing/embroidery machine. I am really glad I did. I use it for everything including making the zippered leaders for my Ultimate I.

Just a side note -- I read somewhere to use water-soluable thread to attach the zippered leaders and it works awesome!

Have a happy day! :)

Marge

Ultimate I

I am so glad this topic is here. My poor little Baby Lock Essante has a bad case of being overworked and has died. It is goin to cost a bundle to fix it and the dealer is trying to talk me into going for a Pfaff. I have been happy with my Essante but he says I work it too hard so I guess I am going to have to re-read this post and make a list of everyone's favorite and see who wins. any special hints you can give me would be appreciated as far as ease of embroider editing, etc.

My DH did the research for me on which machine came in for repairs the most often. Brother won hands down on the most repairs and the most complaints. Bernina had the least repair problems and the least complaints. Then my DH surprised me with a Bernina. I have loved it ever since and recently upgraded to a new Bernina (sorry, forgot the number). I previously had a Singer Futura and my DH said the reason he did the research and bought me a new machine w/o even telling me was because he was sick and tired of hearing the bad words coming from the sewing room.

Patti

in Estacada

Bekah,

Listen to your doctor...uhh I mean your DSM dealer! Your Baby Lock Essante enjoyed a good, fulfilling life, and now it's time to let it go... let it go... let it go. ;)

Well, I personally have a Bernina 165 and I think I have over a million stitches on it, last time I checked. It takes a licking and keeps on stitching! By the way, I should get it in for a tune up. It's been over a year now. I love my machine.

Both Pfaff and Bernina are very nice machines. You would be happy with either one, but go and do test drives on the ones at your local dealers in Portland area. Some of the local dealers have used machines for sale if you want to consider that, too.

I have owed a Pfaff since 1992 and it is the best move I made. I purchased a 1475 the strongest reason being I wanted the built in walking foot. When the 7570 came out I traded up and still own that machine I love it. Then I had a chance to get a hardly used 2140 which is the same as the 2170 and I really love it. If I could afford it I would be trading up when the new machine comes out in September (with 42 new features), but I will probably stay where I am and still be happy. The best way to decide what you won't regret is to take the time and go to the different dealers and sew some different fabrics on each machine you are thinking about and see how you like the way the handle and how your stitches look. If you can take a class at the store where they are providing machines that is a good way also to see if a particular machine was made for you.

Anita

Olalla, WA

Ult 1

Three Berninas, a Singer and Serger live at my house. The Bernina 170E for piecing keeps her single needle throat plate in place, Bernina 930 has been doing workhorse service since 1983 and wears her evenfeed foot all the time to help with heavy jobs and apply binding. Baby Bernina lives in my car trunk so she is always ready for Quilt Bee and classes. Singer is the 1973 model back-up and "Sergio" always has work to do cleaning up ragged edges and securing quilt top edges that do not have a border.

I love my Berninas, but have also sewed on other fine Pfaffs, Huskys, Janomes, etc. I think I would always make my decision on machine choice based on availability of quality service. My Bernina Tech is approachable, helpful and friendly. He is the only other "man in my life" (unless you want to count the UPS guy!)...... never mind.

georgia

I have a Singer Featherweight and a Singer Treadle, a Janome Gem, a Bernina 1530, an Elna serger and a Brother PQ1500 and of course my Freedom. Each of them has a favorite feature so I "need" all of them;) My favorite for piecing is the Brother! Can't be beat for speed and its straight stitch is the best. I also love it for applying binding...it's got the best walking foot. I've had it 3 years and it's never needed repairs. Works for me!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

Originally posted by LynnQuilts

I have a Brother PQ1500, sews 1500 stitches per minute. I love it so much that I have two of them, one at each end of the house!

I have 2 Pfaffs, 2056 and 2044, a Bernina 440QE, a Designer SE, and a Janome 6600. These are split between 2 homes. Nothing pieces better than the Pfaffs...walking foot. The J6600 also has the foot, just has a heavier feel to it, and I prefer the Pfaffs. For overall use, I like the B440QE, has lots of intuitiveness in its features, and has the stitch regulator, which I'm still debating whether or not I prefer it to regular free motion quilting. The Designer SE is mainly for embroidery. So they all have their high/low points. The J6600 has the widest space to the right and is great for freemotion quilting and SID, and goes fast.

Georgia, LOL! I have the same convenient service available at my LQS for my machine, which was another reason I chose Bernina. I'm not sure I know where to find the other machines... except Joann's in Tigard does have some Husquies, I think (I never know how to spell that...) or some Pfaffs... But I'm not really looking so I wouldn't know.

Archived