Top Piecing Gadgets

What are everyone's essential gadgets for piecing quilt tops? I'm particularly curious about flying geese templates...there are several systems readily available.

Alternatively, what have you bought that didn't work out for you?

I'll start it out...

Essential - I use two 24" rulers for precision rotary cutting and measuring. I straighten the edge of the fabric on my right (I'm right handed), then use the second ruler to measure over from that edge. I position the cutting ruler to the measuring ruler and make my cut. Very accurate.

I finally laid my hands on an 8"x 24" (not 8 1/2") ruler that I use only for folding fabric. Since I roll my fabric, it cuts folding fabric into less than half the time. This ruler is so rare that if a fire happened in my sewing room, I would grab it first. Kudos to my dear husband, who hunted it down for me.

Waste of money - I bought a square in a square template before I made my first quilt, and failed to realize that each block has the biases on the edges - talk about unstable!

I also was severely disappointed in the Char Jorgenson Mariner's Compass template set. Being in a hurry (I had about 1 day to enter a quilt block in a contest, and wanted to make something impressive - beyond my skillset), I cut everything out and pieced it according to directions, and found on the last seam that there was no way this thing was going together with perfect points (everything to that last seam appeared to be perfect). It may be fast, but it's not accurate. I haven't yet gotten around to seeing if sewing it together in a different order will make it right. (I'm also wondering if the way to go for accuracy on the Mariner's compass is with paper piecing.)

Regards,

Sharon

Guest Linda S

My piecing gadgets are fairly simple. Electric Quilt software, a printer, and regular old paper. I paper piece nearly everything. You can't beat it for exact points. I have, however, recently learned how to piece-lique from Sharon Schamber. That is an ultra cool technique. Almost like paper piecing, but without the paper!

Linda

I love the Quilt in A Day geese rulers. The drawback is they only have 2 sizes per ruler and there are only 2 rulers. Still, they are so great and the geese so perfect, I have resized an entire quilt so I could use the ruler. The sizes available are also very common sizes so they can be used in most designs.

I love variety in the quilts I make so I have all kinds of gadgets in my sewing space.

Most used is my sewing machine, rulers (I have quite a few in different sizes), rotary cutter and matt.

Other things I use are a stileto (this is my seam ripper or a flower head pin), compass, freezer paper, straw needles for applique, computer EQ program, paper,and printer.

I also have a varitey of feet for my machine and use my quarter inch mostly but also use my open toed foot when I paper piece. I have an extra throat plate with a small hole for piecing as well.

I agree that paper piecing for very sharp pointy points is the best method; especially with something like the mariner's compass.

As far as piecing gadgets for me, well I'm pretty simple. I love my Triangulations software for making half square and quarter square triangles, I also have EQ software and that is fun to play with. I have a foldaway cutting table that I love (saves space) and my stand alone Ott light is wonderful, too. I have a pair of little scissors (that I love...would be sad if they were gone) that I still haven't lost; even after all these years and most of all, my "Big Mama" ruler -- I have had this thing since I started sewing. I love to use this ruler to help square up my fabric. My dear FIL made me a little "ruler rack" to stand up all of my acrylic rulers...love it (thanks, Pop!) And I have this inexepensive little plastic "gadget case" that has a bunch of little compartments in it and it has a snap shut lid. It holds all of my sewing feet, scissors, thread, bobbins, spare needles, marking pens, machine oil, safety pins, etc. This lives right next to my sewing machine at all times. Oh, and I love my magnetic pin cushion and I love my "extra fine silk pins" -- I have to have these extra fine silk ones for piecing! I can't stand those big thick pins to hold my pieces together! (whew! that was a lot of stuff!)

Prob not the best piecing gadget, more like the favourite un-piecing tool I have is a surgical stitch cutter. It's kind of a small stainless hook with a very sharp blade that slips nicely under the stitches and un-sews when I've made a mistake. I use this often ;) lol

I also love my eq6, and the usual rulers and cutters. Do have a good collection of them all as I love gadgets. I collect old needle-work tools too!

For flying geese: Flying Geese x 4 No Math Ruler by Lazy Girl Designs, LLC. I won't do flying geese any other way. You make 4 at a time and the ruler makes 12 different sizes. A must for me.

Other rulers are Omni Grid, especially the Simple 7/8. It is marked so the the 7/8 line is the darkest and makes it simple for cutting if you like to do half-square triangles the traditional way.

Iron: Love my Oreck.

Stilletto: The Purple Thang. Cute little tool that works to turn corners out or help guide fabric through the machine and has a 1/4" marking so you can check your accuracy quickly.

For me it's the 102 rotary cut quilt block card set. Show's me what size pieces to cut for about 4 different sizes of the same block, plus how many rectangles and squares I can get from certain amounts of fabric. Some of us are math challenged, and computer illiterate, so this saves me.

Beth

Sharon,

This is a terrible plug for my own product....and I don't even know if it is allowed on this site.....so sorry if it isn't....but you asked ;)

I designed a tool that help draft radiating lines and circles. It is PERFECT for drafting whatever Mariner's Compass type block you can dream up. .....And yes..to get those perfect points...I think foundation paper is necessary. You can see the Renae's Mini Rays tool at www.renaequilts.com. In the "Customer Gallery" section there is a whole album with a tutorial on how to draft a Mariner's Compass. There is also an album with quilts that some of the people who have bought my tool have made.

There are many methods to use foundation paper..explore them and find the one you like.

Renae,

We allow plugs...it helps us make up our minds...but you need to stick around on this site - just in case we have questions or just in case we love your products and start singing your paises!!

Welcom to the site! Enjoy...oh yes, and we love pictures :)

Wow, how would we exist without our gadgets??? Besides my rotary cutter, mat, and Omnigard straight edges and squares, my new favorite is my set of Marti Michell's Perfect Patchwork Templates. I used to think this kind of stuff was for the birds, but not any more. They have the points off of the squares and triangles so that they fit together perfectly instead of guessing if you have it right. Like the square in a square block, I used to paper piece it because I had trouble getting it right. With these there is no guess work. Oh no! I sound like an infomercial! Also, my walking foot on my machine is something I won't do without.

It's my Olipfa Edge ruler, it's 35 in. long 4 inches wide and the lip on the edge holds it straight for rotary cutting and also my Kwik Squares ruler for making 4 perfect 1/2 sq triangles, any size, all at one time from 2 opposite squares of fabric. I love 1/2 tri's for a border and now I have to find the flying geese ruler of choice as I love those as a border too.:D

My favorite quilting tools that I just can't live without are...

24"X36" rotary cutting matt, 45 mm rotary cutter, omnigrid's 6"X24", 6"X12", 12 1/2" sq, 6 1/2" sq rulers, 12" add a quarter ruler, index card, EQ software, the grabbit extra long straight pins, steam iron, computer, printer, paper cutter, seam gauge, Bernina's #37 1/4" sewing machine foot, #20 open toe applique foot, walking foot, (want to get the #57 1/4" foot with guide so I can do accurate 1/4" curved piecing), Craftsman 16 ft tape measure, embroidery scissors, flower head pins, lint brush, carpenter's square.

I have alot of other little gadgets but they don't get used much, alot of them were one time only type stuff which were bought to do a specific quilt. But the above is what is used ALOT!!!;)

Joann

This bag has saved me many times over. Took a class from fellow quilter also named Vicki. Cool name. ;) I got the directions wrong in making my quilted fabric and it ended up being a monster bag because I didn't want to cut up the quilted fabric. It holds absolutely everything but my sewing machine - even a 24"x36" mat, 24" ruler, pockets on the inside for all the notions. In this photo I don't have the wooden dowels attached yet, but you get the idea.

Love my little iron that looks like a dolly's iron, in red. Love red. There are other colors. The cord comes off the iron and I can take it to the wall to press an applique in place. Great size for putting in my tote. Need to check out your tools and add to my arsenal.

Vicki

post--1346189814997_thumb.jpg

Cool bag, Vicki! :)

I have a new favorite, which I used today for the first time: a 48-in. combination T-Square and rotary cutting ruler. Aside from the obvious uses for a T-Square, it allows me to make longer cuts without folding the fabric and getting the dreaded "V." I love it! It came from Quilters Rule.

Hester, I got my Lazy Girl ruler at Checkers, haven't tried it yet as I really still like the my Quilt in a Day ones but I checked out the Kaye Wood website video on using the no math ruler and it looks really simple with no fabric waste. One more fun thing to try out. I love the way everyone jumps in and is so willing to help everyone. I have learned so much about my Milli and quilting on it! Now I have to look up the ruler that you mentioned and figure it out!

Cher

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, I printed this thread before I went to MQS thinking I would look for some of these items...but I was like a kid in a candy store - forgot my list and went hay wire!!

Also, Sherry or someone posted one time what their favorite ripper is...I was going to remember that too....forgot:o

Archived