Work full-time and quilt? How do you do it?

This question is for quilters who work full-time outside the home and still try to quilt for hire.

Sharon Whittlesley (countrystitcher) asked this question over on the MQS 2008 thread. I thought that it was so important (and I need some ideas on this, too ;) ) so I started a new thread with Sharon's question.

I have a back log of 20 quilts and just said yes to piecing 5 quilts and then quilting/binding them. Am I crazy!!!! I think I'm going to have to learn how to say "no". I like your idea of saying no until you get somewhat caught up. It's so hard when you want the business.....but working full-time and trying to expand my business is not the ticket. I'm going to have to re-evaluate my time schedule. How do others out there that work full-time handle a good work-flow? Help!!!

I know I can not answer this question either because I quilt full time. With the amount of work I do, I don\'t know how any one can build a quilting business and work at another job full time. Kudos to those of you who are success doing both.

Paperwork is not my favorite side of the job either...boring, boring and more boring.

Cheryl

I\'m afraid that this will come out sounding like a whine but here goes.

Monday - Friday: I get up at 4:15 (yes, Bonnie, that is 4:15 AM) and leave for work about 5 AM. Commute 47 miles and start work at 6:15 or so. Leave work at 4, get home (without any grocery, mail, other errands) about 5:30/6 PM. I prepare dinner/eat/cleanup, fix tomorrow\'s lunch, set out clothing for tomorrow, check my mail, make personal phone calls, and bathe. In order to be able to get up at 4:15, I go to bed at 9 PM. I know, this is quite an exciting life I have carved out for myself. Somewhere in there, I sometimes find an hour to quilt.

Needless to say, I do most of my quiting on weekends. I can spend my lunch time cruising thru a quilt book. Since I work with computers, there is some \'wait time\' during my workday while I am waiting for a product to finish installing on one of my servers. I take that opportunity to check this forum and think about what I will do on the next quilt in the stack. I also doodle as much as I can. I use paper and pencil and my Fisher Price Magna Doodle. It helps.

We all only get 24 hours in the day. When you spend 18 - 20 of those hours working and sleeping, it is pretty hard to stay motivated enough to grow your business. I find that I get so tired, all I want is another day off (or 2 or 3 or well, you get it.)

Is there anything that can be cut out? or shortened? Would your employer allow you to work at home one day a week? Your commute takes alot of time out of your day. You could bathe once a week......maybe not! You need some down time too. Do you have any?

JudyL gets all of her meals for the week fixed one day and freezes them, etc. Does your DH cook? Maybe slow times at work you can prepare your menu for the week. Maybe he could help prepare them also. Can you return calls at work during the slow times? Carryout is looking better and better all the time!

Emily Barnes has written some books on this type of thing and has really great ideas. I don\'t think I\'ve been any help. I hope you figure out something that works it out for you.:)

Linda in Ramona,

Don\'t worry about the sound of whining---I completely understand.

I am a newbie, just getting the biz started, not many clients (a few client quilts come to me occasionally), but that\'s OK right now I am still learning my skills and the word is starting to get out that I am quilting for hire.

Well, I work a FT job outside the home. I work a 9-80 flex schedule so I get every other Friday off, plus weekends. I work 9 hour days over the two weeks. My commute to work is 20-25 minutes. I leave the house at 6:30 AM to be there at 7:00, an hour for lunch and drive home at 5:00 PM; usually home by 5:40. If DH is not home (working out of town) I try to spend the evenings quilting. If DH is home, I make a quick meal, or we have leftovers. Last night after work, he ate the leftovers so I spent the whole evening doing SID around my guild raffle quilt so I can start doing the fun freehand quilting (I want this thing finished by next Thursday prior to our guild\'s weekend retreat on Jan 26-27). So basically when I can, I just quilt on the occasional week night or weekend.

You are right about it being hard to say "no" or rather than saying "no" find a positive way to fit these customer quilts into your schedule. Regardless of who you are or what your schedule is, don\'t try to do it all and make it all fit. Make sure it is fun and enjoyable and not a chore. The day this becomes a chore for me is the day I will start to pull back on the reins and evaluate the bigger picture.

Ask yourself this question: In 100 years from now, will it really matter that you beat yourself into a frenzy getting Suzy Smith\'s quilt finished by her deadline of February 1 2008? If the answer was no, then act accordingly... ;)

Wow Linda. I\'m exhausted just reading your schedule!!

I work full time and decided last year to limit myself to 8 quilts per month. When a customer brings me a quilt, we schedule a month for it to be complete and I work on it ONLY in the month it is scheduled. I tell the customer that they are guaranteed to have their quilt back by the end of the month it is scheduled. Then they at least have an idea of when to expect the quilt to be done. This worked out great for me, because I could usually get all 8 quilts done in the first 3 weeks and have a full week of free time to do my own stuff.

Things went wrong when I started getting a lot of customers wanting custom quilting and heirloom quilting. The customers were willing to pay, but the quilting was taking anywhere from 1 - 3 weeks to finish. I was spending 4-6 hours after work quilting, quilting all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday just to get the custom quilts done and get all of the other customer quilts done by the end of the month.

Now when someone brings me a quilt, I schedule in extra time for custom and heirloom quilting. My prices for custom and heirloom quilting have also gone up so that it doesn\'t end up being a $10 an hour job. If they don\'t want to pay the higher prices, then we find an alternative that is less costly, but still gives the customer a nice quilt.

I also looked into CQ at one point in time as a means of saving time. I decided that it wasn\'t for me until it had some of the features I wanted to see. I would possibly consider Intelliquiter and I intend to spend some time looking at it at MQS this year.

At the moment, I\'m booked into late spring/summer and they keep coming. So far, no one has complained about having to wait for their quilt to be done.

Debbi

Linda, Your story sounds just like mine, except that you actually do have a few customers.

I get up at 5:45, leave the house at 6:35 to be at work by 7:30. I work from 7:30-3:30, do drama club until 5:30, then drive home. Usually I\'m back home by 6:15 or so. I do dinner, dishes, laundry, etc.; until about 8:30 or 9:00. Then, if I have any energy (or if I\'m really caught up in a project) I\'ll piece or quilt until about 9:45 or so, when hubby gets up to get ready for work. I make sure he gets fed, put his dishes and the pots and pans in the dishwasher, switch out the laundry and go to bed. Usually about 10:15-10:30, when he leaves for work. Because my brain is racing around so much I usually read until I get drowsy. Then do it all the next day.

I wish I could quilt full time. I just don\'t have the customers that I need. If I could make half of what I make now by quilting, I\'d quit my full time job and quilt while working a part time job.

Debbi,

You are a beautiful quilter so most people would be willing to wait to get a quilt done by you --- I\'ve seen your work in person!!! I\'ll muddle thru my list and Shana is right, when I\'m 95 will it all really matter. My DH is really considering letting me do my quilting full-time. He just took on a new position with his work so we will let him get adjusted first and then re-evaluate my situation. I hope to one day soon put on a "happy" post that I\'m a full-time quilter.

Love this forum and all the advice.

Sharon.

Linda....your crack me up....JUST CUZ I don\'t see the AM hours (getting up I do know they are out there, remember I\'m the one that use to quilt 24 hours straight and falls into bed)....hubby gets up anywheres from 3a to 3:30a huge commute towards NYC and stops to go to the Gym before he hits his chair....and thats on the days he is in the office...otherwise he is flying or driving some place.

Years ago I too was working a full time job and then worked in my studio till midnight or 1a and then fell into bed and back to work after a few hours sleep. And like Teresa, all the house chores as we all have, my hubby grumbles when asked to take the garbage out, but he has learned that sometimes he does need to use the washer or go naked to work. But most importantly he does know how to use his can opener and the microwave oven.

When I got more than 5 quilts on a steady stream I started to plan to quit my day job, but one week I got 9 quilts and I didn\'t know how I was going to get them finished by the due date...2 weeks.(Honest story) I looked up and said to the good Lord, I don\'t care which I\'m to do; this or quilts, but I need a sign as to what I need to do and then I\'m going to need a bunch of help getting through whichever you decide. THREE days later I was taken into the office and it was explained to me that they were down sizing and that my position was being elemenated....that I didn\'t believe because 2 weeks earlier I started to train a much younger (I was 41) girl to do the same thing I was doing, but at the office across town.

It came that they combined the two offices and cut back on all the higher paying postitions to save money and stopped offering insurance to new emplyees, after that they had to work for 1 year to get insurance. At this place the turn overs were fast, in the sales department....it got so I was just learning names and they would be gone and a new batch was moving in.

They did me a favor.....I have been quilting now 10 years, with the last three just for me.....which leaves me time to take classes and have some fun.:)

You\'re gonna think I\'m crazy, but I\'d like to be busier.

I\'ve had my machine about 2 months and am loving it! I have had one customer quilt in so far and am doing my mom\'s.

My goal is to do 2 quilts a month just to make the payments on the machine. Finding time for me is quite easy as I am a stay at home mom. when my two are napping is when I do my quilting, but when the three school children get off the bus, busy, busy, busy!

My DH used to work nite shift, so I don\'t care to quilt when he is in the house, I\'m savoring my time with him that I missed out on for 5 1/2 yrs :)

Carmen

Bonnie,

There are some statments in that post that I don\'t even want to picture:)

Linda,

You have a terrible schedule. I run out of energy really quick. I would probably sleep on my commute home :D Then be like Super Woman - Judy L and have all of my meals for the week prepared ahead of time :D:P (That made even me laugh!). I liked Jeanne\'s idea about bathing once a week, after all they did it in the old days!! There are some very helpful post here that you could use ;).

My day is not nearly as packed as the day you all have, I just get bored. My mind starts playing tricks on me and I day dream. Focus!!

You guys crack me up. Mary Beth, I DO sleep on the commute home. I\'m the driver for the trip to work so DH sleeps. We love where we live, but no work there thus we commute.

Actually I did hear some good ideas here. Not your once-a-week bathing, Jeanne. Ewwwww. :D

Debbi, 8 quilts a month, huh? Maybe I am just pushing myself too hard. I really like to get them quilted and out the door so my turn-around is 2-3 weeks max. Maybe I need to spread that out so I have some "me" time. I love to piece but there does not seem to be enough time for that.

I really think that I need to build a schedule and book people using a date book, instead of the hustle method I have been using.

About organizing.... Santa Claus brought me Machine Quilters Business Manager and the Organized Quilter. As much as I wish that included Mary Reinhardt and Page Johnson coming to my house to organize my studio, it is really computer software. I know, you groan when we talk about paperwork. There is a learning curve on this software, you have to build your customer and supplies database based on your business.

But once that is done, you can track your batting, store photos of pantos and stitchouts of pantos, make a shopping list, look up what you did on SuzyQ\'s 2nd border 6 months ago, even save a photo of SuzyQ\'s quilt and print an invoice with your biz name and logo. It is pretty cool. And I am taking the 2 Mary Reinhardt MQBM I and II at MQS. Woohoo. I am going to be so organized. My studio will still look like a disaster but nobody sees that but me.:D

It is good to know that others are struggling with this balancing act between work and quilting. You know, misery loves company. :D In 2 years, I\'ll be able to quit working when we leave California. I am so looking forward to that.

Linda,

MQ Business Manager has a waiting list feature that is great. I put 8 open entries in for every month and fill them up as the quilts come in. When they are full, there is no more that I will book for that month.

I\'ve starting using the comments in the waiting list to document if the quilt needs custom quilting and how much. If so, then some open entries will be dropped off for that month, or the quilt will move to a month where I can get it done without killing myself.

Debbi

Up until the first of September I was working 35 hours a week. I managed about one quilt a week. Now I am so lucky to be working at the same place but only 5-7 hours a day. I start at 5am and am done by 11am or so. It is a short commute (8 minutes--sorry ladies!) so I get groceries, head home, take a half hour nap and hit the studio at about 2pm. I stitch until the hubby gets home at 6pm with breaks to start dinner, etc. On my two days off I usually quilt one day and play the other.

I had a hellish Christmas rush this year with a little subtle pressure applied by "friends" who wanted holiday quilts done but had neglected to get in line. Never again.

I am loosening up and learning to say a gentle no. My back log is quite large (for someone who only gets to one quilt a week) and any customers are now told "summer sometime". Deadline quilts are turned away and I feel so much better and I am enjoying the process again.

I\'m sorry for you out there that are struggling to build a customer base. My situation (the day job with benefits) allows me to look from a different perspective. I will continue to take in tops "part time" until I retire--5 years-- and I do not know whether I want to even do more than one top a week then. I\'m gettin\' to be an old lady and now have an excuse to be cantankerous!!

As an aside---please don\'t give up if you are struggling. It is so exciting when the phone calls start coming in or the Guild members discover you. And you get to see and work on the most glorious tops.

Teresa, I asked a recent deadline customer if she had ever considered mailing a top to be quilted and she said she would consider it but her deadline was a week away!! Some people plan so well! If I can send some business your way, I will. Hang in there!

And Linda Card--you are an inspiration to me--full of such good information and advice--and computer savvy as well! You must be so well organized to accomplish what you do. And I have said it many times--I love your blog!!!

Linda,

My day is similar to yours but I go in a little later and work a little later, if I get out on time. There are times when I have to work extra hours. I am trying to be a good girl and go to the gym 3 days a week for an hour on my way home. The trade off for that is I don\'t do dinner. Fend for yourself is what I tell DH or he can get take-out! I try to get my quilting in at least 3 nights during the week and spend 1 -2 hours. By 9 I\'m useless but in general hit bed by 10 or 10:30. I dedicate one day of my weekend to quilting and the other to catching up on the house, dealing my mother, mother-in-law and other things. I don\'t always get to do that since we live in the northeast those darn snow storms require extra work! Wouldn\'t you know that out of the last 4 hubby has been gone for 3!!!! I think he has a magic ball. That means an additional hour drive to my mil\'s plus shoveling or snowblowing. Yes it is exhausting but I so love my machine I\'ll do it. Oh yeah I almost forgot I also try to teach one day of the month at the LQS! I just need more hours in my day for sleep! :P:P:P

I worked a fulltime 12 hour shift job my first 15 months of owning my Millie. My schedule was like this. Four Days, off 7, Four Nights, off two, Three Days off one and three nights off 3. Of course you loose time sleeping between the switch of days to nights if you can imagine. I worked probly of my 14 days supposibly off probly half on overtime ( loved time and a half lol ) most occasions and have went 8 weeks on straight days without a day off. I quilted until midnight and would get up at 4:30 am to do a12 hour and sometimes come home and do it again. On Nights I would get more rest and less quilting. I took my tops and backs to work to put on zippers and took all the measurements. Would do my layouts on my laptop and prepare what designs I would use so I could load and just do it. It almost killed me but I\'m just alittle high energy of a person. I go go all the time. lolol With my fulltime job I made over $12000 my first year and Uncle Sam got a chunk of that. This year I had no job and made alot less as I spent more time on doing some projects myself, Educating, Educating and testing some techniques out. Little money made but lots of practice and a few techniques of my own. My best month was $4200 Christmas before last . I have stopped taking quilts except for a few I cannot help but want to do and I do help the local shop when the need arises. Since Christmas I have done I think 10 quilts for the shop. Now back to digitizing and more education and practice. It\'s going to be a very POOR YEAR for GRAMMIE. lolol

I am enjoying myself more doing less but I do miss that great pay check when quilting fulltime. I may start taking quilts again but right now I don\'t think so. I do wish you all the best in getting the number of customers you desire and the success you desire.

I remember those days.....

I no longer have an outside the home job, but I now homeschool my 6 and 7 year old and babysit my 5 month old grand daughter all day. trying to find time to quilt during the day is practically non existent... but I am working on a plan. I will have normal business hours posted. While I may only be able to carve out an hour on one day (enough for the dreaded paperwork) I will shoot for 4 hour blocks.

True, some of that time might have to be before they get up in the morning (I\'m an early bird morning person) or even (shudder) after they go to bed, but my goal is to get it done. My husband is still undecided, but promised if I can come up with a plan he will give it a shot... we\'ll see..

Jeanne Morris

Monroe, Ga

(where it is snowing!)

Hey Ladies,

the amount of energy you have is amazing!!!....I am still a newbie and just got my first 3 months in with about 12 quilts done, and plan to take next week all week for practice....I just got an accountant who will do my taxes, and that takes a load off my mind....would like to have some quilts now as I have hit a lull and need to get the word out...I\'m here!! got to get into some guilds that I know of. I have been getting alot of organizing done here at home but would rather be doing clients quilts..quit my part time job in Oct. so some days wonder if I made a mistake, and forget the feeling of certainty I had about changing over to this artsy job at home. I need to trust my instincts and let it happen....all of you who talk about being so busy make me envious about all the quilts coming in but on the other hand, I need my straight eight of sleep so can\'t imagine doing full time work and then quilting besides....I\'d be so cranky I even wouldn\'t want to live with myself.....Anyway...I am grateful this forum exists, that the machines exist, and that we are all here to talk about it! Life changes and that is the only certainty we have...haha.....and it is nice to talk to people who understand!!!!!! Denise

I have been considering getting a full time or part time job just to help make the payments on my machine. (Actually put in a application today for a full time job.) In the process of redoing the loan just so I can reduce the payment a $100.00 a month. Hated to have to do it but the business just isn\'t here. Although I have 3 quilts right now and for me that is great. Joined a guild last May. In December I got 3 from members and so far 2 this month. I am so greatful that they are giving me a chance. Hate to have to get a job. Hubbie works nights and so I like to be home when the kids get home and to send them off to school. I tend not to go to bed until 1:00 am and I am up at 6:30 am with the kids. There is always something that keeps me from getting a good full day of quilting done. This computer is one. I have one hour a day that nobody is home, and needs me for something.

Angela

I spent the first two years working full time, being a single mom to 3 children and quilting for clients. Even after I decided to quilt for clients full time I then had to manage my children, my 50 or more client quilts that sat on my shelf waiting to be finished and juggle my travelling and teaching on the road. It\'s not easy and I would say that back then I was lucky to get 4 hours of sleep a night. I do not quilt for clients any more and I travel very little compared to what I use to. In 2005 end of May I made up my mind that no matter what happen I would take a year and spend more time with my kids. I do earn money in other areas of the industry now with my patterns and book and stuff, but the bottom line is ... every now and again you need to take the time to figure out what you want, whats most import to you and where you should aim to be a year from now and 5 years from now. Everyones answer will be different but it seems to me that you have two good incomes right now and you need only to decide which "job" you want to put your time and energy into. Good Luck... Remember if what ever you choice today stops working for you down the road.... you can always try something new:cool:

Gosh ladies,

your timing is perfect for posting this question. Having had a "meltdown" at work on Mon, then took the rest of the day, and 2 more off for mental health reasons. Feeling better now, but still overwhelmed. I agreed to work full time (32 hours at the hosp) until I get my girl paid off. Then there\'s the 7 hours scheduled at the shop, plus teaching and quilting for customers. I thought I was busy, but you guys certainly beat me! Thanks for the perspective.

Beth

Archived