An arctic sunset view from my quilt studio

I spent today quilting away and having fun. We\'ve been experiencing some cold temperatures in the "way up north country" but with those cold temps, it\'s always clear bright blue sunny skies, which helps immensly! ;)

This photo was taken at 4:30 PM today and the sun was just lingering above the horizon. Now remember that in the arctic, the sun sets and the sun rises very very slowly...it doesn\'t drop in seconds as one would see near the tropics... our sun rises and sun sets linger for hours on end. Not sure when sunset was here today but probably close to 6:00 PM. :)

post--1346189917553_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Shana! You are such a cutie! You\'d be a ball to be around!

It was blizzardy and sunny and blizzardy and sunny and terribly windy and COLD here in Ohio.... it\'s 5 degrees, and the wind chill, well, it\'s -15 at least. I couldn\'t see across the street today - everytime I got ready to go to the store another white out ocurred. it\'s gonna be a cold week!

Wish you were here with those great sun sets! LOL

But, but, where are the moose and caribou???? With snow like that, in Alaska, there should be wildlife!!!!

Oh, wait! You are the wildlife!!! LOL!!! Rock out, girl!

Isn\'t that just the best stuff to quilt to?!?!?

Beautiful view, beautiful sunset. You are lucky, indeed!

Nice sunset...love the snow too.

All we had yesterday was an extremely windy day and evening. Our power went out at 2 pm and came back on last night at 1:15 am...a little chilly since the low was around 20. Somewhere a tree fell on the power lines. Got out the cards for some games by candle light and by the warm from a gas fireplace (thank goodness, I upgraded so we can turn it on without electricity).

Cheryl

Lovely shot, thanks for sharing. Today\'s paper said that yesterday was the annual "worst day of the year" bike ride. Traditionally, Feb. 10 is the worst weather day in the year. It was sunny, not too cool, but I don\'t know exact temps. We\'ve certainly had worse bike riding weather. Not that I was out in it, I was quilting!

Beth

HI Shana!! Beautiful!! It\'s really cold here too....5 I think with wind....burrrr! We\'re supposed to get between 5 and 9 inches tonight and tomorrow. I love snow, but this time I don\'t want it cause on Wed. Myrna is going to be in Chillicothe teaching and I am supposed to go and get my beginners class. Hope the roads are clear by then!! I have been looking forward to this for a long time! I would love to look out on what you do!!! uummm!!:) love it! linda

Originally posted by seakitten

Here is the view from my studio. I have not posted a photo before, so I hope this works. Aloha

Oooh, Catherine! I think it is soooo cool when shadows are cast on to the cirrus clouds! Your photo shows a SHADOW of the big cumulus clouds on to the cirrus clouds! How extremely cool is thaaat? :cool:

In certain special weather conditions, I\'ve seen our very large mountain (Mt. McKinley) cast its own shadow on to the cirrus clouds as the sun sets behind it. It looks similar to your photo, except instead of a cumulus cloud, it\'s a big mountain. It\'s an awesome sight to behold! :)

post--13461899178228_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by sandradarlington

Shana...save a sunset like that one for me....and an aurora.

Hey Sandy, last night as I was leaving my studio to go back into the house, I looked up in the sky and the aurora was dancing around. :) That was the first aurora I\'ve seen in quite a while...

I\'ll do my best to speak to those in charge of sun sets and auroras to ensure they schedule some "spectacular ones" while you are here visiting me -- in a couple of weeks you will be here! ;) Fun to be had.

Catherine,

This is a photo my DH took in Ft. Yukon, a small Athabascan village on the Yukon River. It\'s a pretty cool photo because it has the big dipper in the center and it\'s surrounded by two swirls of aurora. Do you see the dipper?

And, when you have time, here is link to just a small sampling of the auroras my DH took a few years ago. He has many.....not all of them are listed here.

http://kl7ac.com/aurora.htm

post--13461899178582_thumb.jpg

Now, two weekends from now Me & Sandy Darlington will be sitting at the bar at Chena Hot Springs\' ice hotel having ourselves a margarita, a bloody mary or a cosmopolitan or hey..maybe even a tequila sunrise? Heck, we might just do some shots of wild turkey or Jägermeister ... ;)

This bar is made of ice. :) We like to have fun in Alaska... it\'s so cool it is HOT, baby ... yeah!

post--13461899179002_thumb.jpg

Here\'s another one taken at Chena Hot Springs Resort (stole this one, too...)

Of course, this is taken at night, but do you notice how BRIGHT it is (almost like it\'s daylight)? Do you see shadows cast from the people and the vehicles on to the snow? See it? Well, that shadow is caused from a FULL MOON shining brightly above!

I\'ve seen some of the most amazing spectacular aurora during a full moon, but not always. You would think the full moonlight would obscure the auora colors, but it doesn\'t. I think that the gravitational pull and magnetism from the full moon has a big effect on the activity level of the aurora.

post--13461899179062_thumb.jpg

Stunning views from your studios ladies!!! Thanks for sharing. I doubt that I would get any work done if I had beautiful views to look out to like that.

I\'m grateful for the good size sewing area that I have but unfortunately it\'s in an unfinished basement. There are only three TEENY windows in the entire basement. :( I dream of the day I can have a large studio with numerous windows with glorious views like yours!

Archived