An arctic sunset view from my quilt studio

Hi Shana,

Thanks for posting the aurora pictures. I loved the one your DH took with the Big Dipper in the center nad the aurora coming up both sides. I also love the ones you "borrowed." As far as the ice bar at Chena..."right on!" I think I\'ll start with a frozen Marguerita, maybe move on to an Alaska Amber, well you get where this is leading. I\'m not driving:) Maybe we need to pack along a couple of overstuffed Big Agnes bags...just in case. :)

I am really getting excited as the time gets closer. We\'ll have a blast! We\'ll have to post some silly pictures for everyone\'s amusement.

Sandy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH Shana!! Those pics are AWESOME!! I saw a thing on TV a couple of weeks ago about those lights and I told Randy that before I die, I want to go to Alaska to see them up front and in person!!!! Oh my!!! what beauty!!! When we do, we will come visit!!! Do they serve Pepsi at the ice bar?:P That\'s my beverage of choice:D Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures!!!! linda

Originally posted by seakitten

WOW, Shana your photos are awesome. Thanks for sharing. I admit I don\'t see the attraction of the ice bar, but would happily join you for the Margaritas anyway. Have a MaiTai for me! Aloha, C

Catherine, the attraction of the ice bar is simply this: Why be normal? It\'s just a "touristy" gimmick thing at a local hotel. Actually, this is the only "ice bar" that I know of in Alaska. It\'s purely for fun and say "been there done that." Most of our bars up here are just like bars everywhere else... bar stools, booths, dudes hanging around with smooth pick up lines... the typical bar scene -- you know. ;)

Beautiful Shana! Oh and the sunsets are too!

Catherine, my 30 anniversary is coming up next year and we\'re thinking about going to the Hawaiin islands, but want to go to an island that isn\'t all about bikinis! (As if I\'d be seen in one! Hah!) We like floura and fauna, mountains, tide pools and maybe hike a little bit. Any suggestions? You can email me privately (and anyone else that wants to chime in!) at kathybradbury@yahoo.com

Thanks!!!

Looking out my studio window, all I see is my naked neighbor doing his daily jog. Don\'t get too excited--he\'s bald, looking very old and is quite nasty! But, he is almost naked!!!!

Thanks for sharing the gorgeous photos with all of us. We\'re looking forward to some sun and almost 60º here in western Washington this weekend. Hard to quilt when the sun\'s out!;)

Wow. I guess living in Santa\'s back yard had better have some perks!! What a stunningly fantabulous view and pictures!! I\'m from the big city of Houston originally and moved to San Diego about 21 years ago and I thought our sunsets were just the best thing I\'d ever seen. Certainly they are better than we got in Houston with all the smog. I could sit here all afternoon and look at those. Weather here just north of San Diego is kinda cold (for us), it\'s in the mid 50\'s and very windy and a little rainy. We get so little of that I am really enjoying it!

Robin Kinley

Rockin\' Robin Quilts

Vista, CA

This one just took the blue ribbon for machine applique in our local quilt show. (OK, so I organized the show & got to pick the judges, but I did NOT cheat!) The sky and ocean are actually purchased batiks. I have tried hand-dyeing but so far have not gotten anything that brilliant. It is a real place -- Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, Baja California.

Archived