In your business: How much thread is "enough"?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Linda S

Oh dear! I have to count? Well, I could do that. I know I have every color of So Fine, so that\'s 100 right there. I also have most of the King Tut, lots of Rainbows, lots and lots of Bottom Line, and many cones of Arc Poly. I also have a few (very few) of Signature Cotton. If I had to hazard a guess, I\'d say I have at least 250 cones. I\'ve always been a threadhead.

Linda

I support all you thread poor quilters...except for my embroidery machine, my stash is quite embarrasing low. I pulled out my Superior Cards the other day and throught I\'d place my order.... by next month I hope to add a about 400 (dream)--still doesn\'t match Sue\'s. Ask again in 5 years!!

I love it. I love it. I an on a self imposed 12 Step program for quilting fabric but not for thread. I am in love with King Tut variegated. Can\'t wait for MQS. It is so much fun reading about other\'s love of quilting. I can\'t even go on a vacation without taking a project to work on. Here\'s a hint on an easy to travel with project. I trace fusible appliques and iron them on the fabric and then cut them out. I only use wonder Under. It is available from walmart for $1.25 a yard

. when I get back they are ready to iron and start stitching.

OMGoodness! You are my hero, Sue!! I can hardly wait to go shopping. And I printed out your pictures for my hubby, he thinks I have way to much thread already, little does he know! :D

This is great encouragement for a newbie. . .

Martha in Destin, FL:cool:

I\'m just starting out, so I have less than 100, but I do admit that I have every color of Superior Rainbow variegated thread. I filled in my missing holes as a Christmas present to myself...

I\'m now thinking about all the Superior King Tut threads... a long-armer friend of mine says she uses them almost exclusively and just loves them. A lot of my clients love the bright colors of the Rainbow, but sometimes a more subtle look is good, so I\'ll be looking at King tut. Color without the shine of a trilobal poly...

I must say that I too love colors and like to have every color available...

Julia

Yes my boot stash is not so bad!! Although last year I did go a little crazy by adding 4 new pairs in one year. I have already done a 12 step program for that feddish LOL Will have my new one on at MQX ... had them made from a guy we met in SD last summer, bought Jon and I both a pair, we had our feet measured and wraped then desided our own looks... mine of course are patch work style... I will try to post pics, we just got them in the mail a week ago!!! Next years I will quilt on the leather on my longarm and then send back the pieces of leather for him to stitch together... I CAN\'T WAIT!!!:P OK as for my threads... You have to admit I use alooooottttt of thread on each art quilt. The one on the frame in the pic is a show quilt that I have been working on forever!!!!! The outer borders alone used 8 cones of threads, I have the thread art on both front and back of the quilt. I will post a few pics, I am hoping to have it at MQS, keep your fingers crossed for me as I still have a weeks worth of background fill to do and I am stumped on my thread choices. OK lets see just a quick look...

I did this one a little different then I usually do... I quilted much more of each design then normal. Although it worked, I suggest always to quilt such heavy thread art in stages, about 10-20% of each design at a time, then rolling the quilt back and forth repeating this until the quilt is done. This is the front

This is why I just can\'t bring myslef to take the 24 step program.... :( Soooooo I will just have to keep stock piling thread until I run out of room on my shelves....:P Yaaaaa Right:D If I run out of room I\'ll just buy more shelves LOL;) Besides everyone knows that quilters come with lots of baggage.... so mine is all full of threads:P

Wow , fantastic quilt and wonderful thread stash. Looking at your first photo you could fit additional shelves in between each existing shelf and there would be sufficient room to fit cones of thread and then you could double your thread stash without taking up any more space!

I tried additional shelves in between last year, I went out and bought the high school locker shevles and placed them in each of the squares and started piling the thread in.... the only problem is that I couldn\'t see the cones at the back because the top shelves were full of thread... I have to be able to glance over the shelves and see every cone when I am pulling colours for a new project, I think the answer is a bigger studio, one that will fit more shelves and more machines... is there a 12 step program for machine collectors?? I only have two at the moment, my Freedom and my Discovery, you konw one for home and one for the studio, but I really missing the two I sold, had to do it to take a year off with the kids. But know that I am working again two is just not enough LOL But once we find that larger studio.... look out!!!

Sue, I hope you do a DVD on thread painting. I know there is a embroidery cd but I want to learn to do it free hand. I guess I just need to put a piece on and practice. I just love love love your work. It just makes me smile.

Do you use same color thread top and bottom?

PamH

Dear Conehead Queen (I mean Sue...LOL!)..dang, cant even shorten it to CQ, (Compu-Quilter) LOL......ok.. CHQ (Cone Head Queen) LOL!!!

I am printing the pic\'s of your thread stash\'s to post in my quilting room, so that my hubby will Never, and I mean NEVER say a word about how much $ is spent on ANY QUILTING stash items, thread or otherwise!

Also, im currently using the spatula to pick up the rest of my face that fell on the floor over your current thread art quilt!

I also vote for a DVD to be made!

Archived