Binding Barb's way

Our own Barb Mayfield teaches a class on attaching bindings. No glue, no weird methods, simple and straightforward and fool proof. I just used her method yesterday to machine stitch on a binding--it\'s not a show quilt, it\'s a fundraiser-- and wow, I am impressed. Looks like I am a pro at bindings, which I usually hate doing. From now on, I will be using this method when I do not have to hand stitch the binding down. I don\'t know if she sells the class materials or gives it away, but I am completely impressed. Now back to weed whacking.

:D:D

Nancy

Nancy can you put up a picture of the new way....I sew mine on with a DSM and a decorative stitch if its a charity quilt...always looking for a new way... And Barb if this is something you are getting ready to launch...let us know about it?

Ricky Timms puts all his bindings on this way as he demonstrates in one of his DVD\'s.

His argument is, it\'s not a wrong way, just different and if it\'s executed well, the method is just as valid.

He also uses a thin piece of piping (not piping cord, but no 3 embroidery thread) as part of the process, set between the binding and the quilt which I thought looked quite striking.

Barb is off skin diving in a place called Bonaire, which I am sure I have spelled wrong. It\'s in the Caribbean. I hope she is having some major fun with her hubby. I don\'t want to post her binding instructions without her approval, so we\'ll wait til she gets back.

Nancy

Chris, I sent you a U2U right back, girlfriend. Watch your snail mail.....

I went to a Ricky Tims seminar last year and learned a ton! I love his bindings. They look great. I just wish I could have learned how to do them during the seminar!;) I\'m supposed to be on a list for a class on these types of bindings. I was given the info. by another quilt instructor. According to her, if she could machine sew bindings that looked that good, she\'ll never hand sew another one! Sounds good to me!

Nancy, You spelled it right - we were in Bonaire, way down by the Venezuelan coast, for two weeks of scuba diving - celebrated my 55th birthday underwater!:P

Anyway, my "binding technique," which isn\'t really mine, is just a modification of something I learned in a class last year. It goes real fast and is very secure, so it\'s good for quilts that will be loved, used, washed, dragged around, etc.

I would be glad to post the instructions, or send a printed copy and a sample to anyone who wants it.

There\'s nooooo place like home......

Ricky Tims is from my home town of La Veta, CO. I sure do miss those mountains. Thank you for the handout, will try on one of my next quilts that I have to bind. Try not to bind if I can help it, but once in a while, you have no choice.

Went in to Ricky Tims studio last summer while I was home, he had a bunch of quilts from one of his seminars on display.

Barb,

Thank you so much for sharing! The directions are printed off and waiting for me to try. They seem plain, but then ?\'s may come along. :o

Glad you had a wonderful birthday. It IS good to be home. I am home for the last of June and July (school\'s out) so may be able to try the binding soon! Maybe on a feather sampler like Shana did...that girl ROCKS!

Thanks again.

Barb,

Thanks for the instructions. I will try them on some quilts. I like the look of the hand stitched bindings but I am so sloooow.

It sounds like you had a great birthday celebration. It has been some time since I have done any scuba but it was a lot of fun when I did it. My diving was in the Marshall Islands in the middle of the Pacific.

Pamela

I love this method of finishing the binding! I stopped hand stitching bindings a long time ago. My previous method was to attach the binding to the back of the quilt, bring it over the top and top stitch it down from the front, but I like this reversed method much better.

Besides, it seems to me that if a quilt is machine pieced and machine quilted, it doesn\'t need a hand-finished binding. I only hand bind hand-pieced or hand-quilted quilts, and chances are getting slimmer and slimmer that I will ever make another one of either!

I\'m sooo glad there are those of you that enjoy this "shortcut" for one of the more tedious tasks we face in completing a quilt.:P

I do want to say, again, that this is not intended to replace the time-honored tradition of hand-stitching a binding (got a scowl from my LQS owner when we talked about this!) - but it makes a quick, durable binding for those quilts which need it.

When I\'m doing a quilt for myself, only two so far, or for Community Service, I bind them the way I want. If it\'s a job, they have the choice, do it themselves or I do it all by machine.. I think the themselves will win for a while. Gotta love that, binding is the one hardest thing for me to do, not because it is hard to do but because my hands cramp so tight I have to force them open. Need I say they will PAY for my putting bindings on?

For anyone to insist others do things the way they want, instead of letting them have the choice in THEIR projects, to me is just plain narrow minded and mean.. For goodness sakes.. let people enjoy their crafts in their way, not ours.. makes more fun, less ulcers, ill feelings, tempers, etc. for all.

Besides, look at all the innovations we have because someone wanted to do it their way~~~ Have to love that, too.

RitaR

Archived