Batting questions...again for a newbie

I'm still contemplating which kind of batting to order. I don't know why this has been such a hard decision. I want to order the batting on a roll and wonder what you gals do. Do you order 96" or 108 " wide? and if you are using Hobbs 80/20 do you use the cotton blend or the bleached? I really hope these are not stupid questions. My studio is still in the works and my machine is still in boxes :( I'm hoping to have things up and running within 2 weeks and would like everything ready. I really like the quilters dream batting so I just feel stupid because I can't decide which batting Hobbs or Quilters dream, and what size roll when I do make up my mind. Thanks for letting me rant and little and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tracie in Idaho

I use the QD Batting......all are on rolls. I buy the largest roll I can get because some of my customers have very lg. quilts. I also carry the black from QD .........the kinds I carry are Poly which is very white........and the 70/30. QD is like quilting thru butter......I love it! The wool is very good too.

Renae

This is a personal view more than a view you might get from the others on the forum....

We all have only a certain amount of space to store items, and as batting is a staple in our needs, do you really require that bulky roll? I use to have my customers bring me their batting, and I would quilt on whatever they provided...yes, that does cause troubles, and with a bit of education I was able to turn them towards, Hobbs, Dream Cotton or batting of equal goodness....this eliminating my lack of storeage space.

BUT more so than that I didn't want to have to hassle with the tax forms of resale...and keeping all the paper work that goes with the gathering of the tax and paying the state their share. And as I was a service only studio, and not a retail store of ANY KIND, batting, threads or whatever else one could use. I didn't have to report any tax. Now if you are in a state that makes you tax on services, then that is an entirely different situation and it wouldn't make any difference, ya still have tax reports to deal with each month, so sales tax forms wouldn't be a big issue.

I was licensed only as a service shop, nothing else. I even bought all my supplies retail, no wholesale purchases for me...:(

QD is not my favorite batt to use because it stretches. Although the heavier weights are not as bad and neither is the 70/30. I do like the softness of the QD but found it a pain when trying to make sure it was smooth. I like hobbs heirloom (100 percent cotton with scrim...soft like QD...not stretchy) and hobbs 80/20 (it has a little loft which I like for quilts that I don't want totally flat...this batt doesn't stretch, stays where you put it, and I never have problems with wrinkles in the batt like QD). It is a personal choice and everyone has their preference for different reasons. Don't be afraid to try different batts that is the only way you will figure out what you like.

I, also, am not a fan of polyester batts...just because I like more natural products...again personal preference.

Size...most of the time I order 96 inch wide batt. Usually, that covered 90% of the quilts I got from my quilters. I always had at least one roll of 120" wide to accommodate the larger quilts. With my customers...most of the time a natural color batt was just fine.

I would keep one or two packaged batts in white, a queen and a double. Sometimes a customer really needs a white batt, bought a natural batt with out thinking about the effect it will have on their quilt.

Make sure you are not stepping on your LQS toes. Some shop owners are not fond of the LA'ers selling batt because it cuts into their sales. That is also one reason that I stocked different batt from the LQS and I had customers who didn't want QD. I do believe in supporting the LQS, but quilters also need a choice in batting.

Cheryl

Bonnie is right, a lot depends on the tax structure of the state where you live, & I know nothing about yours. Where I live it does not matter, we have a "general excise tax" on all products and services, which may be more expensive, but it is easier. I buy everything I can wholesale, and include thread in the price of the quilting, therby simplifying my math.

I stock only Quilters Dream battings. Their mail order service is excellent and quick, and they have no minimum order. You have to phone them to get your account set up, then you can order anything you want either by e-mail or pone -- no on-line shop. However, they do have good product descriptions on their website, so you know what you're getting. I keep a roll of the 96-in and a roll of the 48-in (crib size) 100% cotton, plus a roll of Dream Puff poly, on hand at all times. I have very little need for anything larger, and if I do, you can order the king-size by the piece & it will be there in 3-5 days. Ditto the black, wool, or any specialty batt. If the customer wants another brand, they can bring it themselves, but many people like the convenience of not having to select it themselves, and of course I make a little money for that service.

For thread, Superior Threads is excellent. Again you have to call to set up a wholesale account, but after that you can order online, & it is usually here in 3-5 days. There is a $300 annual (cumulative) minimum, which is not a problem for most of us.

I have experienced nothing but excellent products and service form both these companies. I am sure there are more like them also, but only dealing with the two has made my life easier. Good luck on your new venture.

First of all you need to ask yourself if you have enough space to house the batting (carrying several rolls can take up alot of space).

I used to carry batting (Hobbs 80/20 non bleached in the 96", and polydown also in the 96").

I stopped carrying both in Jan 2008 because the cost of shipping started getting too expensive for what I was able to charge my customers when they used my batting...sure the convience of me having the batting available was great but when I started loosing $ on it, it had to go. My customers have gotten use to bringing their own now and they usually bring 1 of 3 brands...Hobbs, quilter's Dream or Warm & Natural/White. I am fine with all of these so it has worked out good for me and my business.

Have any of you ever had to tell a customer that you would not use the batting that they have provided? I have'nt yet (with only doing 4 cusomer quilts sofar), but was wondering how you handle that. Also, I have an account set up with Quilters Dream, so of course, I get it wholesale. (I have a tax #) What do you charge for the batting to your cusomer? Do you double it? Isn't that what it would be in the store? I don't need to worry about the LQS, cause there is not one even close around. Thanks for the info!!:) linda

Originally posted by lindasewsit

Have any of you ever had to tell a customer that you would not use the batting that they have provided?

Yes, I won't work with polyester batting. I'm a cotton purist. I know from personal experience that you will never get the nice drape with polyester that you will with cotton, and with repeated use and washing, polyester batting just dies and gets flat.

I've only done four quilts of my own so far. I'm at the PPP stage. I used Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon for the first, and that shows the quilting nicely, although I know from personal experience that while MMBR is very nice for a lightweight quilt, it will become very flat and not do justice to our work. But I wanted a lightweight quilt.

For the other three, two of mine and one charity quilt, I used Fairfield Soft touch, and it quilts up very nicely with a nice loft and I am very happy with it. I don't know how it stands up to wash and wear, but it presents a pretty picture for pickup.

A friend offered some of her quilts for me to practice on. (I think she was expecting me to do them for free when she offered them.) I refused her, telling her that I had enough UFO's to keep me busy. But then I didn't count on how long it was going to take me to finish those UFO's to get to the quilting part, so I told her that I would do a quilt for her, for practice, for half of the regular price. (I refuse to work for free.) I was hoping for one quilt, and she brought me four!

She brought Warm & Natural for all of them. I finished the first quilt, and I understand why someone in one of these threads said, "Yuck" or some such comment about W&N. I have used W&N in the past and like it real well, warmth- and handling-wise, but it certainly doesn't show up or show off our wonderful quilting. I did a lovely panto and it turned out nicely, except that the quilt is so dark, and with practically zero loft batting, the quilting hardly shows at all.

In answer to your question, it's your business, you are the boss, and you can decide what batting to quilt with or refuse to use a certain batting. I'm just going to say that my machine doesn't work well with 100% polyester (and that will be the truth because the operator has negative vibrations with 100% polyester) and tell them why any other fiber would be an improvement. If they insist on polyester, there are other quilters. (I also plan to advise against W&N, but I won't refuse it.)

Hi Tracie,

I am also a newbie and honestly after taking some classes and talking to lots of people, I have decided to buy bats of several different battings to try and learn for myself what I like and dislike about each. Everyone seems to have their own favorites and "no way" battings. I have been pairing smaller battings with good quality muslin for practice pieces - kill 2 birds with one stone - learn about the battings while learning to LA. You can buy craft & crib size in most bats so you won't have to waste alot of money.

Good luck and welcome to the group,

Meg

I'm still at the newbie stage, but have used all kinds of bats--pieces I have had on hand, and whatever customers have brought to me. One lady brought me a quilt, a back, and then pulled out a "bat." She said she didn't know if I could use it--as it was half a bat. She had actually been able to split a bat in half, poly I think! It worked--it was pretty fragile...but Miss Millie gently worked through it! I'm not so flush with customers that I feel like I can turn someone away because of the bat. Maybe someday!! Jane

I felt just the way AnnHenry does about poly batts, until I tried the Dream Puff. Now I am a fan. It is soft as down, & just puffy enough to really show off the quilting. I DO like the thin Dream cotton, it is the prefect weight for our climate. Warm & Natural I find just too heavy so, like Ann says, the quilting just sits here. My LQS carries only Hobbs, I carry only Quilters Dream, & try to price it similar to hers. That is a serious consideration; you don't want to undercut someone who can throw a lot of business your way.

We all have our what we will use and what we won't use battings....but I have to say, that if a customer is bringing a batting to you, and its a batting that won't fall apart when you sew it (there are some that are just so fragile that they fall apart when you look at them. amd those yes should be turned down with a bit of explaining of why we can't use them) then I feel you shouldn't turn the quilt away.

(again this is my personal opinion) Our machines don't have a clue if its a good batting or a fair batting or even a crappy one, it goes through and the quilt is done....I have found that the few that I did turn down, I NEVER saw the customer again, and heard later that I was to fussy with what I would or wouldn't do, so I wasn't worth the trouble to have quilt their stuff. Word of mouth advertising is WAY worst than fighting a simple batting. ITS not our quilts, that we are quilting...its a customers quilt, as long as we are quilting for them they are the boss, and they are our paycheck....and they are what keep us in this state of mine of enjoyment, and just maybe they do like that batting and like the way it draps for them....who are we to tell them they are wrong, when its only our opinion that the batting is a crappy one. NOW IF it is then gently tell them why its not a good batting for a LA...explain to them why it just won't hold up to the pulling and pushing we do to it while making the sandwich....with explainations and showing them we educate and then WE GET our own way and we then get the battings we like to use. ;):P Ya gotta make them think its their idea, and not just tell them you won't use a certain one.;)

Everyone is correct, it is your preference. I use Quilter's Dream, and my "gator" loves it. I prefer cotton or wool but use the "Dream Angel" for children's quilts. I just purchased a few packages of "Dream Green", made from recycled soda bottles. It feels great but haven't put it on the machine yet.

I'm also a little partial to QD because it's here in VA Beach so I have no shipping charges, I just give them a call and drive over to their warehouse and pick it up!!!! I also buy their "irregular batting" for practice and a few other things.

Thanks for all your help!! I called QD yesterday and have ordered some samples to try. I have used thier 70/30 in hand quilting and loved it, so I thought I would get some samples and see how I like it using the LA. I thank all of you for your advice it really has helped me in getting on my way!! I can't wait to start, my machine in boxes and the studio still in construction, makes me feel like i have ants in my pants :o;), i just can't wait to get started!!

Tracie

Archived