My Sheepdog Quilt

Here is a sheepdog quilt I made for my husband's 50th birthday last month. I found the pattern at a quilt show earlier this year. I embellished it with beads, buttons, flowers, yarn, etc. It was alot of work but fun and creative to make.

I made it mainly as a quilt to remember our 8 yo sheepdog Harrison, who has cancer and won't be with us much longer. He has a fibrosarcoma on his mouth/snout area and it is quite large now. He has gone through 2 rounds of radiation and chemo, but it has only prolonged his life a while longer. But, his spirits and appetite are good, and he is still the alpha dog to his younger brother Oliver.

Susan

post--1346190014319_thumb.jpg

Oh - that is special. I feel for you and your impending loss. Those who aren't "dog" people don't understand the connection and affection we have for the furry members of our family. The day we lost our 11 year old lab I cried like a baby and I still get teary when I come across a picture of her. Hug and cuddle that sweet sheepdog as long as you can.

Mary Beth-- Sometimes I'd like to post "Free Sheepdog" with the way they carry on.... The picture I posted the other day is the last picture we have of Harrison before the tumor developed and he lost the hair on his face because of the radiation treatments. I look at it often to remember how beautiful he used to be.

Susan

Love the quilt. I keep thinking I'll do a boxer one in memory of our beloved Jake. We had to have him put to sleep the day after Thanksgiving last year and boy, was that a tough time. He was my special friend..with me all of the time and his last night was horrid as he walked the floor all night long. I sat up with him and every time he made the round of his walk he would come over and lay his head on me and whimper. Tore me up and I still have it so fresh in my mind. The last words he heard were me telling him how much I loved him.

I love dogs and we now have two again...a Yorkie and a French bulldog. The Yorkie(Rusty) is 10(same age as Jake) and was Jake's little buddy. The Frenchie (Bear(spelled Bere) is 5 1/2 months old and is a clown and a holy terror. Rusty has to get pretty snippy with him at times. Keeps us on our toes.

Anyway give Harrison lots of smooches and enjoy your remaining time with him. Sorry I got teary-eyed on you.

What a wonderful quilt. You did such a good job on catching his beautiful face. I am so sorry about Harrison. Our pets become members of the family and it is hard to lose them. Enjoy your days together. We will all be thinking of you.

Oh I know about loving a pet and trying to understand why we only have them so long.

Our Lab Cash has been ill for one month and one day. The Vet said it is diabetes. It has been an uphill battle to get him to eat and get everything balanced. Today however cannot get him to eat, taking him in this afternoon and praying a small miracle will happen and he will get better. We have three dogs, all fill my days with joy. So sorry to read about your wonderful friend, Susan. I know you and your husband will treasure that Work of art for all time.

Ginny Snowden

Love your quilt. I am a wimp...with tears in my eyes already. I know what it is like to have a pet not well. My cat has Chronic kidney failure and it is only a matter of time. :( She is holding her own on SQ fluids every night and 2 meds twice a day.

Susan, your quilt is beautiful and will surely be a cherished gift. I'm sorry that Harrison has been stricken with that dastardly disease. I'm convinced that the chemicals used on lawns contribute to our pets getting cancers. We lost 2 Labs to cancer and my sister did also. I will never put another chemical on my grass if I get another dog. In fact, I told my husband we won't be doing it anymore after this summer as we have grandkids and granddogs coming to visit.

Virginia, I sent you a U2U.

Archived