Here we go again!

Please pray! This new storm is headed right in my door. I live right on the line of the projected path. Smack in the middle of it! They are saying Cat 1 hurricane or maybe Tropical Storm, depends on how long it sits out there. I may be taking my Mom over to my sisters house. She's about 15 miles straight north of Galveston so not directly in the path. We'll see.

Well, I'd gladly take my machine with me but it hasn't been born yet! :D

We are about 15 miles from Galveston as the crow flies, (or the storms fly...?), so we are somewhat inland. Here's the deal, We are in the Gulf Delta area. It's very, very flat, practically sea level, so water doesn't drain very fast. And this is bayou country. I'm not thinking this is going to be much at this point. We'll have big thunderstorms, tornado watches, and flood warnings, a little wind but altogether not too bad. There are thunderstorms going through Houston right now that have tornado watches and flood warnings and the storm isn't even here yet. The build up to a storm is always the exciting part for me, and ya just never know for sure where it's going to go in, or how strong it will get. It can always just peter out and go away with out doing anything!

And then again it could be just the opposite! We've been through so many through the years, I've seen tropicalstorms that ended up hanging around for a week (Allison, about 3-4 years ago), that did as much or more damage than a low category hurricane that just blew thru fast. It's always interesting, tho!

Take care of yourself and family. We'll be praying for y'all. I'm the belt & suspenders kinda gal (I'm hopeing that I never caught with my pants down), so I would be hot footin' it out of there trying to get out of the delta and onto higher ground. :cool:

Well, it's not a direct hit, and it's going to put us on the dry side because it's to the east, but it's still close enough to us to be dangerous. We are going into work today. Please pray for those on the border between Texas and Louisiana. It's going kinda like Rita did. Here's a link to a local stations Doppler. If you click on the Galveston county map it will bullseye a close up and you can see Alvin to the left of the map, that's where I am. Kinda interesting.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/doppler?section=weather/doppler&id=5750607

Kenna, I remember Allison because my late husband was going through chemo and we lived on the 38th floor of a high-rise on the edge of Hermann Park. When Allison finally left us, we were left with no electricity, water, or sewage service. All the medical center flooded and since we were downstream of them, all the medical waste came into our building and flooded us. What a HUGE mess!! Everyone lost their storage (located on the 2 basement levels of the building) and my saddest memory is that all my 26 years of Christmas decorations and bulbs (including my latest Christmas quilt-just finished 2 weeks before) were destroyed! But at least at that time I still had my husband and we were ok.

I don't live in Houston anymore, now I'm much safer in Destin, FL! HA-HA! That's a whole 'nother story! Good luck Kenna, I think ya'll are going to be okay with this storm. We'l pray for ya!

I too will take earth quakes.. after living on the west coast in Wash. Or. and Ca for most of my life... all but 10 years in fact.. but, no earthquakes when I'm on a bridge, in a tunnel, on the water, or in a tall building.. LOL.. in otherwords.. not when I'm there.

so glad all the prayers worked, now keep them going for Grammie Tammie.. her absense is evident.. and we need her back..

RitaR

Archived