30's Daffodils-FINISHED!!! W/pics

Am I lucky!! The blocks in this top were made and given to a friends grandmother by her great-grandmother in 1938. My friend sashed and bordered it and brought it to me to quilt! It is a gift for her aunt--a surprise. I am loading it now and will post finished pics when done. Wish me luck!!

post--13461900241281_thumb.jpg

I guess the photo was a little fuzzy. Here is a close-up. There are blue dots as a quilting guide still visible. I will be ignoring those and know they will not wash out. My buddy did a great job on this and I think her addition of the narrow black border really made a difference.

post--13461900241711_thumb.jpg

Linda, what a privilege to work on that. I've seen that daffy before, and was told I was dreaming when I said it really looked like a real daffy, not a fake.

I know you will do great things for it.. and waiting to see the picts of finished top.

RitaR

For Renee and anyone else wondering, these blocks were made from a kit. The outline and details of the blooms and the leaves were stamped with blue ink on the fabrics and the white blocks have the outlines for placement as well as the blue dots to use as a quilting guide.

"Supposedly" the blue would wash out after assembly, but as we all know now, when it has been in the fabric this long it is now permanent.

It is charming as it is and I hope it will be treasured when I finish. I am working on the flowers now and will post a pic soon. Thanks for the interest and wonderful encouragement-- I have a lot to live up to!!!

Just an idea - having just read the thread about using razzle dazzle thread and doing bobbin work. If you were so inclined, you could do some kind of couching or bobbin work and hide those quilting lines . . .

Sharon Schamber has a video (You Tube?) or her own website about couching.

Beautiful Linda. Love the sashing strips. Is that leaves & a rose bud? or leaves & a swirl between then? Also did you do a small meander or is it pebbles? I guess I need my glasses changed or something!! And I love the way you quilted the daffodils & leaves. Very nice. Your customer should love it! Can't wait to see you in just a couple of weeks. :cool:

Patty Jo---

Here is an easier-to-view photo of the sashing design and the stipple. The sashing is from a Grace Anderson class I took last year at Innovations. She has great designs and several self-published books available on her site and at her classes. The meander is my own "cloudy" design that I use a lot on 30s repro quilts. It is friendly and more interesting to do than a regular stipple.

post--13461900290095_thumb.jpg

Archived