A Pic of Traceys quilt

the title says it's Tracey's quilt, and Sue downloaded it for her.. It's not whole cloth.. it's some kind of stack and whack, or kaleidoscope pattern, far too labor intensive for me.. Way Too Far!!! lol

Beautiful Job Tracey, My eyes squizzle from looking at them too long, but I can honestly say I still think thats a beauty.

RitaR

Yep, I see that it's Tracey's quilt....Tracey who?? And yep, I see that Sue downloaded it, and she seems to still be online. And yep, it appears to be a stack and whack....so we are all clear on those things....Sue...where are you?? And is it quilted?? If yes, can we see a close up??

Hay everyone I have emailed Tracey to let her know that I got it up for her... she will post answers to all your questions I am sure once she gets her email or signs on and see's it's here... all I know is she is quilting like a crazy women and doing an Awesome job!!! I am just glad I was able to get the post resized and attached for her so you could all see what a great job she did on it.... I think it is a one block wonder quilt design but she'll have to take all the questions from here...:cool:

Originally posted by JoleneK

a One Block Wonder. Same concept as Stack N' Whack only the fabric is cut in strips and not fussy cut. Uses all the fabric instead of ending up with holes throughout.

Did I miss something in my Stack N Whack class....we lined up the fabric as per the Stack N Whack book....matching each layer to the repeat 6 layers in total.... then cut in strips and then made our triangles each triangle pile becoming a single block.....using ALL The fabric....what class teaches to leaves holes in your fabric...that would be a waste and I wouldn't want to do that....fabric is to precious to me to leave holes in it....:(

Hi Everyone, the quilt Sue posted for me was done by a friend at the quilt shop where I work part-time. I want to do a really amazing job on this because it is a sample that will hang in the store. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for how to quilt it? Thanks in advance. I am slower at the 'knowing what to quilt" than I am 'how to quilt" Sue has been awesome and I really appreciate the help. Hopefully I will get the log cabin pictures up. It turned out really good. Not bad for a newbie. Although I will probably look at it 6months from now and think.....ughhhh!:):) What the heck was I thinking??? OK, back to Sharon's one block wonder, what am I gonna do?

Tracey

Little Britain, Ontario

Hi Tracey,

Well one thing to keep in mind is that this quilt top is "very very busy" so any quilting will be difficult to see. Don't spend many hours doing something really detailed that blends into the fabric.

Perhaps try to find inspiration from something that's in the fabric print and emphasize that? Use a solid thread that goes well but still shows your quilting. Perhaps do something that has a circular motion/spinning effect creating movement to it that emphasizes the WBW quilt blocks themselves. Know what I mean? Rather than small quilting designs, go bigger (like something that fills the entire WBW block). That will show your quilting better in the busy top.

Hey!! An idea that just popped in my head... Grab your copy of Sue Patten's freehand filler book and flip through it. You will surely get some ideas from that book...I always get great deas from Sue's book! :D

Shana is very right that the fabric is very busy and isn't going to show much of the stitching so I would go after texture. If you use a poly batt you will see more of the definition. I would choose some of those stars to really accent and make them pop and then stipple down the back with something. It doesn't have to be stipple just something to push that background back and make the stars pop more. When I really look at it I see diagonal rows of stars so I would highlight those stars and push the rest back.

Hi Tracey,

I've pieced and quilted 2 of the one block wonders (in the book of the same name) and I did an E2E on one of them and CC'd the 2nd one. I was partial to the one I cc'd but they both looked great.

This quilt is very nice. Can't wait to see it quilted!

Hi Tracey - your quilt is beautiful. I can't add anything to how to quilt it cause I think there is some really good advice all ready given here.

Bonnie B - thanks for the explination of doing a stack&whack without holes everywhere. I needed that for some fabric that I've had for a very long time. Now maybe this will be project #10 that I start and put into a ziplock to do someday!!!:cool:

Shana is right, with that pattern and fabric your quilting won't show...it's all about the piecing on these quilts.  I did one for a customer and tried to tell her that and she was pretty disappointed when she got the quilt back.  However, there was on at MQS a year ago that the quilting did show up on and it was way cute.  I'll see if I can find the pictures of it.

post--13461900258424_thumb.jpg

Tracey & Phyllis, These two quilts are just gorgeous. Thanks for the pictures. I missed seeing the moon in the one pic until I went back and looked again. The sun face is really cute. How cleaver, and well done.

Tracey, be sure to bring us up to date with pics of the finished quilt.

Archived