DONE: Venetian Tiles Kaffe Fassett

and a closeup picture of a block that I quilted.

I used the advice from Linda Rech and did the melons and filled it in. So Fine! on top and Bottom Line in the belly.

This one gave me good practice with rulers! Lots n lots of Ruler Work was done on this quilt. It's 115"x115" (huge) and I spent between 25-30 hours quilting this baby...

I wanted the piecing to be the "star" so I chose a thread color that would blend in and just give the quilt a subtle texture...I didn't want the quilting to compete or overtake the piecing (which is busy fabrics anyway!)

I used an arc ruler for the large melons (CCs) in each block, then filled with a design from Sue Patten's book!

Then, I went back and did the straight ruler work inside the inner blocks. I wanted to emphasize and help make the 3-D illusion of the inside block pop up even more, so that is why I chose this straight line design in the inner block. I hope it looks OK.

For the border, I did feathers and then filled in between. Sorry, I don't have a photo of the border with the feathers.

post--13461900255435_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Bonnie

Looks like you had fun with this one.

LOL! Well, it was "fun" for the first 10-15 hours...then it got really tedious! I am glad this big bad boy is finished! Whew!

She chose Quilter's Dream Cotton batting. It feels so nice and soft under the batiks!

AND IT WEIGHS A TON!!!

OK, that said, all you seasoned pros: I need your advice... I've not done a 115"x115" quilt with a majority of ruler work before... what would one charge per square inch for this type of work on a quilt this huge?

Here's a another block.

post--13461900255721_thumb.jpg

Shana,

Funny because I was just thinking about this quilt and wondering if you had gotten it done. I found a picture of it in my photo file this morning when I was doodling design ideas. You did a fantastic job! Did you get a picture of the back? I can imagine that it weighed a ton! I would charge a minimum of .03 per sq. inch. I think it is would more realistic to charge .04 given all the hours you have into it and it looks like you did a ton on it. It came out beautiful! I'm sure she will love it.

First, let me say that I love this quilt. You see up and down aspect of this quilt partly because of the fabric used but your ruler work really adds to the dimensional effect. That was a lot of work. I love the puzzle piece fill.

I don't know what you get for custom up there in the north land but I would say at least 2.5 cents an inch; our folks are cheapskates here. It is beautifully quilted.

Well, that's my 2 (and a half) cents worth.:D:P

Really? .03 or .04?? .03 would = nearly $400 and .04 is over $500 for the quilting! Do you think she'll fall over and faint?

The back is a busy leopard print (batik) and the thread blends in so it's difficult to really see it unless you are up close.

Linda, thanks for the words about the "puzzle piece" fill. I was truly perplexed what to use as a fill on this... I wanted to do something with a curve design filler to help offset the strong straight lines in the piecing.

Shana,

Don't sell yourself short. At 30 hours for .03 you are only making $13.23 an hour and that doesn't cover any overhead! At 25 hours you are only making $15.87 an hour. To get to the $20 - $25 recomended hourly rate you would have to charge .04. At that rate you would make $21.16 an hour for 25 hours work and $17.63 an hour at 30 hours. I know all areas don't get you to a decent hourly rate but you can't just give away your free time either. My starting rate for custom is .03 and up.

Originally posted by seakitten

Well I am not a "seasoned pro", but you have hit on the reason I always give the customer a ball-park price up front -- it takes the ambulance at least 20 minutes to get here.

Your quilting is fabulous!

I'll have to remember that one! LOL I too give my customers a ball-park price. Normally they want to know what it is for e2e and then custom and I let them make up their mind. If I'm going to work for pennies then I'll just quilt my own things.

OK thanks. Good advice. I will charge her the $.03.

I did give her a ballpark price before I started.

I know that she can afford the bill (shes's got money. she's not old money wealthy, but she's does run a successful business) LOL! She knows quilting costs a lot... she's not new to this. She's a sister of a dear friend of mine, and I have a hunch I'll get more business from her in the future. She told me that this quilt will be on her bed for many years, so I know it will be used and loved.

Shana,

The quilt is absolutely beautiful. Love the ruler work.

Now I'm going to play the devils advocate:;);)

Did you and the customer discuss a price? I would think she needed a heads up prior to the job being completed that the price could fall between $400 - 500. If she said to do what ya want and spare no expense then thats a different story.

She specifically wanted custom work. She saw the design that Linda Rech proposed with the curved ruler work and she liked that. She said "go for it!" so that's what I did...

Yes, she knew it was going to cost between $.025 and $.03 --- about $300 or more for the job. She can afford it, trust me!!! :) I guess I was trying to be "nice" and maybe a little conservative? That's why I hesitate.. not that she doesn't know the cost...just that I feel kinda bad charging so much!

But, she will pay whatever I bill her; she's a cool lady. :)

PS: Our local quilters would probably charge minimum $.03 for this type of quilting, so I am not out of the ballpark here.

Originally posted by mrmquilt

Beautiful Shana, I can't help you with pricing either. Around here I might get .02 to .025 per inch.

It is amazing how different parts of the country can charge more.

Michele

Michele,

You're so right it depends on the area. You are down to around $11 an hour. I'd not do a heavy quilting like Shana did for that price. I think in my area my prices are fair. There are some that charge less but their work sucks!:P:P:P Even as a newbie I can do better than they can. I know one girl that does nothing but a very large meander. I think it is up to the customer to choose.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

She specifically wanted custom work. She saw the design that Linda Rech proposed and she liked that. She said "go for it!" so that's what I did...

Yes, she knew it was going to cost about $300 or more for the job. She can afford it, trust me!!! :) I guess I was trying to be "nice" and maybe a little conservative? That's why I hesitate.. not that she doesn't know the cost...just that I feel kinda bad charging so much!

But, she will pay whatever I bill her; she's a cool lady. :)

Shana,

If I feel like I need to give a discount because she is a family friend or even a guild member then I always put the full price on the invoice and list a discount. For guild members I give them a 10% discount. That way they know what the price is and there isn't any problem. Don't sell yourself short! You are very talented. I doubt that a mechanic would charge a lower rate...lol not even with a family discount from my husband's cousin they still soak us and a whole lot more than $25 an hour!

Thanks, Heidi. You are right...

The "issue" was with me charging her too much...

The "issue" was not her balking at what she would pay. I already know she will pay me whatever without batting an eye about it. I know that; I just was "selling myself short" and thanks... I should not do that.

I will do the invoice and give her my guild discount (her sis is in my guild so that counts, right???) LOL

Heidi, I'm glad that you got into Shana's dish, because I was so going there myself..... ;)

Shana....please don't ever think you are just a quilter.....not even...you do beautiful work and should be paid accordingly....Your talent shines with each quilt. Don't take a back chair to others just cuz you don't feel worthy...I'll personally come to Alaska and kick your boot to Nome...

Shana your quilting is beautiful and you did a lot of work on it....Ruler work is not easy and you did a lot of fill in......I wouldn't charge anything less then .o4 and inch which comes to $529.00 and then what ever thread charge you have. It is really a fair price.......don't sell yourself short your aren't JUST A

QUILTER!!! my friend. You are very talented and it shows in your work and you should be paid for that and I'm sure she would agree because you did say she is a business person too, and I'm sure she gets paid fairly for whatever she does.

Your quilting is AWESOME and thanks for showing us your pictures you are an inspiration my friend. ;);)

Renae

Beautiful Quilt! I just charged $185 for a panto for a 116 by 118 quilt...so sounds like you got good advice on what to charge for the custom quilting!

It was a batik quilt with the Quilter's Dream also. I'm trying to decide if I want to carry quilter's dream batting - it seems to pull out of shape easy but is so soft!

Very nice quilt!!!

Archived