NQR - Trying to stay out of trouble

They do look delicious MB, and I'll probably have to make some for Margie and I after seeing that picture. I would like to know about the reference to "Karen's Beignets" Which Karen and will she share the recipe? Marge and I have been looking for a good beignet recipe for ages!

OK I will get it from my cook book in the kitchen... It's a cookbook that specializes only in all southern style breakfast dishes. :) I'll post it here on the chat if anyone else wants to try it...

French Doughnut Squares

3/4 up warm water

1/2 package dry yeast

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup canned evaporated milk

1 egg slightly beaten

2 tablespoons vegetable shortening

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

vegetable oil for deep frying

powder sugar for dusting

Disolve yeast in shallow bowl with water.

While this is fermenting, in large bowl, combine sugar, salt, evaporated milk, egg and shortening; then stir in yeast mixture. Gradually add flour 1 1/2 cups at a time, mixing until well blended. Use your fingers if the dough becomes too stiff to stir. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Pour vegetable oil in deep fryer to 3 inches deep; heat to 360 degrees.

Gather chilled dough in a ball and pat or roll out on lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 2"x3" rectangles. Drop 2 or 3 in hot oil at a time, turning several times with tongs or slotted spoon until they are golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle GENEROUSLY with powdered sugar and serve immediately with cafe au lait.

Do like me and double the recipe. :)

The Evolution of Cajun & Creole Cuisine: I've not tried this one but it has more milk and more butter. That probably means it's More BETTA!

Beignets

1 pkg dry yeast

oil for deep frying

3 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup sugar

1 1/4 cups milk

3 eggs beaten

1/4 cup melted butter

1 cup powdered sugar

Dissolve yeast in four tablespoons of warm water; set aside.

Heat oil in deap fat fryer.

In large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar; mix well. Fold in dissolved yeast, milk, eggs and butter. Continue to blend until smooth dough is formed. Place dough in metal bowl and cover with towel to rise for 1 hour. Remove to well-flourerd surface and roll 1/4" thick. Cut into rectangle shapes, 2x3 inches long; Return shapes to lightly flowered pan and cover with towel to allow dough to rise. Deep fry turning once until golden brown... Drain and you know the rest of the story about drenching with powdered sugar and downed with good strong coffee. :)

PS: It's interesting how both recipes are different. Now I need to try this recipe and compare!! Perhaps Sandra from Louisiana can pop in and tell us which recipe she recommends. Or maybe she has another one to share?? One can not have too many recipes for beignets. :)

Archived