UPS Thinks I'm From The Looney Bin!!!!

So I had to send the "New to me" Head Back to APQS this morning to have a good once over.

You would have thought I was sending my youngest off to college.

I was a nervous wreck. I packed "her" carefully, called APQS at least three times, then took her to ups to be shipped off.

They thought I was a nut job. They put her on the Scale, weighed her and walked away!

I asked if someone would please put the box on the floor because I didn't want it to fall.

They looked at me so funny. I just told them they wouldn't understand.

Can't wait to hear she made it to APQS.

I know she'll be in good hands.

Thanks for listening.

Laura

Hey, I'm doing one better - I'm flying my baby to Iowa! A customer and I are attending the Maintenance Class in October, and we're both boxing up our heads and checking them onto the plane with us ($250 roundtrip:(). The folks at the factory will check out both heads while we're at the class, then we'll fly our babies back home. Do you think they would let us put them in the overhead compartments?;)

I could tell you that I was so nervous that I drove my machine head from Reno, NV to Carroll, IA, but that would be kind of a huge fib....we were driving to NY and I made Gene take a half day side trip so I could hand deliver her to the factory and drop her off...and while she was getting her tummy fixed and new braces on her teeth and a new heart, we had a great trip and she was home the day after I got back... and I was to busy goofy off in NY to realize she was at the Doctors...

It was back in the days of Doctor Connie and I was getting updated telephone calls periodically as questions were needed to be answered.

Barb, I would put her in the seat beside me (LOL). I traded "gator" in on the new model but let me tell you when I boxed up "gator sr" a tear came to my eye because I knew I'd never see her again. When I turned her over to the UPS guy, you should have seen his face when I told him to be careful and take care of her!!!

It's finally dawned on me that I've found a group of people who understand! Long ago, before getting quilting took over my life, I played the double bass. (You know, the bull fiddle, great big stand up bass) The one that is so big you have to take him to the car dealer to be sure he'll fit before you guy the car. Not having a hard case, we use those for shipping, so not much call for it, I'd panic while driving with him in the car. Yelling in my mind at people driving too closely behind me because if they hit me, I've only got splinters left of my bass. I don't know of other musicians who feel that way about their instruments, but you all understand how I felt. Now, poor Georg (that's his name) has to sit in the corner of the music room while I wander by on my way to the basement where my girl lives. I'm sure he understands though.

When I traded up to the new Millie, and went to UPS to ship my older one to APQS, they asked how much I'd like to insure it for. I said $10,000. Well, I couldn't afford to insure it for that much, but that was my trade in value.

But it did get their attention. They put a big red star on it, saying that the star alerts their people to a "special" high dollar item.

I feel your pain! I have to send my beloved Bernina 1230 off next week. I think they're actually more careful with big stuff than little stuff sometimes -- especially with the amount of insurance you have on it. I'm sure it will be very safe and in good hands.

When Margie and I went to Austin TX to pick up her Millie, she made me use nearly all the roll of batting the lady provided with it to cushion and comfort it for the trip home. I'm sure it had a more relaxed ride than I did, especially with Margie making me stop every 15 miles or so to go back to the trailer, open the doors, pull away some of the packing/batting, and just lovingly stare for a while. I swear she never looks at ME that way!

The longest respite I had from this pattern was the hour or so Margie was on the phone to Mary Beth. (..thanks MB)

It was a long trip...

mrmargie

Archived