21 replies to this topic

#1 doodlebug

doodlebug

Pieceful Kwilter

• PipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • LocationSharpsburg, GA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

(i'm avoiding doing what i really should be doing)

here's a picture of the right/and wrong side of warm and natural batting.

you can save the picture to your computer (PC, don't have a mac) by right clicking your mouse in the picture and selecting "save as" and saving it to somewhere you can find it later...

Attached Thumbnails

• warm and nat.JPG

shannon
i do not machine quilt. i hand quilt with an electric needle.
Visit my BLOG

#2 Mrs.A

Mrs.A

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationTucson Arizona

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

Thanks, Shannon. That's helpful!

#3 ecmoore

ecmoore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

Well, that figures - I just loaded and started one less than ten minutes ago, apparently wrong side up :) Printed & saved to place by the machine. What're the downsides of using the wrong side up? And thank you so much for doing this!

#4 Pegmtq

Pegmtq

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

I did some practice quilts with warm and natural when I first got my Millie. I loaded right side up on one and then decided to try the other way. I ended up with pokies of batting coming out on the back. So I definitly agree the needling holes side should be next to the wrong side of the top as you stated. I don't know if this was the reason for this side up but I have had no problem since I have loaded it this way every since my experiment. Hope you don't have this problem since you have already started quilting.
Peggy

#5 doodlebug

doodlebug

Pieceful Kwilter

• PipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • LocationSharpsburg, GA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

peggy is right- if loaded upside down, W&N batt will beard something awful. my general rule of thumb with ANY batt is too look real close at both sides and load the side that has the obvious 'V' needling holes to look at the ceiling (most batts are needled to secure the fibers together somehow)... even Dream Quilters battings (cotton and the polys) have distinct needling holes. the only one i found that it really doesn't matter is Hobbs 80/20...it seems that either side will work when loaded. since my customers supply their batting, i have all types walk thru the door and i've been taking notes. i also ask that they do not remove the batt from the packaging so i can read all the 'manufactuer's suggestions'
  • renaej likes this
shannon
Visit my BLOG

#6 Primitive1

Primitive1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,870 posts
  • LocationNewly moved to Dallas, TX

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

Good idea, I actually took a little square of batting and keep it on the wall where I load quilts I stuck a little note on it saying "this side up" so I am sure to load it correctly...it is sometimes hard to remember...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewmanyquiltssewlittletime/ Proud Millie Owner! Sew Many Quilts - Sew Little Time Custom Long Arm Quilting

#7 dmilner

dmilner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

Very helpful; great explanation. Donna

#8 Busy Quilting

Busy Quilting

APQS rep for SE Qld Australia

• Dealer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationSE Queensland Australia

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

Shannon - by the "v" needles holes do you mean the side where the needle has gone into the batting and caused a 'divet' or the side where the needle has pushed out and caused a 'mountain'. Lyn

Lyn Crump   Hand Guided 2013 Millenium Blissed and Gliding    APQS Sales Rep SE Qld Australia   www.busy-quilting.blogspot.com.au

Attitude is everything - So pick a good one!

#9 doodlebug

doodlebug

Pieceful Kwilter

• PipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • LocationSharpsburg, GA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hey Lynn- that's a great way to remember it: V = diVet = right side
shannon
Visit my BLOG

#10 connieb

connieb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationWest Sacramento, CA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

going in my favorites because I never remember

#11 zeke

zeke

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hi kids, Since I only buy Warm & Natual on the bolt from the factory, I've found that the backing side is always the folded together side. What I mean is, while you unroll the bolt, the batting is folded in half to make it a 45" bolt. Now, the backing or smooth side of the batting is the side on the inside of the fold. So, when you unfold the batting, that backing side is on the inside. As you unroll the bolt you see the quilt top side folded in half to conceal the backing side. Just remember that the backing side is folded right sides together. Hopefully this helps. zeke...........

#12 quiltmonkey

quiltmonkey

Advanced Member

• Dealer
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Yep I always go with the the bumpy side facing up
"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep
Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

#13 lindasewsit

lindasewsit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

The way I remember.... bUmP is UP~
Posted Image
Linda Gibbons
Cabin Creek Quilting
APQS Millie (aka, Gracie)
Hand quided

#14 quietlifeaz

quietlifeaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Funny this is just the reverse of what I was told to do...and I have been hating the bearding...going back to what seem natural to begin with....thanks guys

#15 meg

meg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,255 posts
  • LocationCentral New York

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

using hobbs 80/20 and for about the 100th time, but this time i panic ~ wondering which side should go up? this place is so helpful - i love it when i find an answer here without having to repeat a question. posting under the right forum is so helpful - i always think of it after i have posted my bloody questions. :mad: thanks for doing it with this batting post, shannon! saved me a bit of time which i'm very short on these days. ;);)
Meg

"Do small things with great love." Mother Teresa
"Life's too short to fuss with thread." Meg Fazio
http://theonewiththr...s.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/megfazio

#16 DawnCavanaugh

DawnCavanaugh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Dimples up, Pimples down. :) For any needle-punched batting, if one side looks like a sweater in need of a shave (lots of slubs or pimples) that side is the wrong side. Here's another visual I use in class to help people remember: Imagine taking a bag of cotton balls, pulling them apart, and then laying the fibers every which way over a window screen laid flat. Hose the cotton down with water, (and you can even imagine poking the cotton many times with a needle, down through the cotton and out the screen on the other side). Let the cotton dry, and then peel it off of the screen. What will you see? You'll see dimples or the "divots" Shannon mentions on the top of the cotton, and hills, slubs or bumps on the screen-side of the cotton. That's the wrong side. You want your quilting machine needle to penetrate the cotton the same way the needle punching machine did at the batting factory. This will reduce batting bearding and migration.
  • renaej and SueB2 like this
Posted Image
APQS Customer Service & Education Director
1-800-426-7233
dawn@apqs.com

#17 aktbone

aktbone

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thank you - thank you! I just loaded a quilt and loaded the batting upside down. Headed down there to turn it around. You guys and gals rock!

Sewmazing Grace
Edge to edge quilting for all of your love quilts!
2011 Millennium - Circle Lord enhanced!

#18 Sandra Darlington

Sandra Darlington

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,909 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA. USA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for posting this information.
Sandra Darlington
Darlington Quilts
2005 APQS Liberty, Circle Lord Enhanced
sandradarlington@aol.com or
DarlingtonQuilts@Gmail.com

#19 JustSewSimple

JustSewSimple

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Doodles, you are always right on! Thanks for making this very clear. I love visuals!!!! I have only ever had one quilt to beard and the batting was in correctly. I finally decided it was the backing that was very thin that was encouraging this mess. I will also save this! Blessings.
Just Sew Simple Sylvia Blissett APQS Freedom '09 "Stitch" Circle Lord 2010 “"Until one has loved an animal, Part of their soul remains unawakened.”

#20 rarebyrd

rarebyrd

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thank you thank you I justheard about right and wrong side ..so i went to the forun ..;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users