Customer forms

I know this has probably been posted already, many times, but I can't seem to find it.

When accepting a customer quilt, what kind of form does everyone use? Do you write everything down in an appointment book too? or just a calendar?? I like simple, and as I will be quilting mainly for myself, with a few customer quilts, what would be the easiest????

All suggestions welcome.

Use a desktop document system or a word-processor to print and make copies of a simple form. I keep mine in a binder and when the quilt is picked up, the intake sheet is filed chronologically for handy reference at tax time.

For the intake sheet, put your name/business at the top with contact info, then customer name, address, phone, email, date of drop-off and the date the quilt is finished.

List all info needed for the top--dimensions of the top, type of batting (purchased from you or brought, along with dimensions of the batting) and the dimensions of the backer.

Leave a space for notes on quilting designs. Here I list colors/block patterns of the top and any thoughts or suggestions from the piecer. Comments such as "no feathers" or "not girly" go here. Listen to what the customer says and doesn't say. If they say "do what you think is best" delve a little deeper and ask about the recipient--age, sex, preference of density of quilting, etc. Know the batting and what it will do when quilted densely or less dense so you can steer them in the right direction.

List an area for thread choices and a place to put the thread charge if you will charge for it. List both top and bobbin thread.

At the bottom is a list of all charges--thread, batting, seaming a backer, turning the top, quilting, etc. It is all broken out and then sub-totaled. We charge sales tax in Washington so that is added, with the grand total at the bottom.

Then there is a statement at the bottom---" I authorize Kerry's Beautiful Quilting to perform the work listed" with a place for the customer to sign.

If you like I will send you a copy of my intake sheet to your email address. Let me know if you would like a copy.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here is customers under the age of 18. I live in a 2-University City (Southern Miss and Willian Carey) and, of course, tons of the kids are under 18. They want to have their sorority or frat shirts make into a quilt. You can not enter a contractual agreement with them. They have to pay up front and/or have their parents bring in the shirts for a quilt. The one good thing is they all seem to have lots of money!

Originally posted by Just Sew Simple

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here is customers under the age of 18. I live in a 2-University City (Southern Miss and Willian Carey) and, of course, tons of the kids are under 18. They want to have their sorority or frat shirts make into a quilt. You can not enter a contractual agreement with them. They have to pay up front and/or have their parents bring in the shirts for a quilt. The one good thing is they all seem to have lots of money!

Sylvia...is this just a MS issue...or is this something that is nation wide. As I haven't even heard of this ruling....never had a need for it, but wondering if its a state thing or a nation thing...do you know?

• 6 months later...

I use a simple receipt book from Walmart (88 cents) that I write the customer name, addy, phone number and take in date then in the body I write the name of the quilt, size and the charge (freehand or panto, semi custom and custom), batting if needed, thread choice and charge then any instructions. After we agree on what to do, I put the total at the bottom and she signs it.

Then after it is picked up, I put most of that information in a 13 column bookkeeping book so I can keep a better record for tax purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had a customer ask for a copy of the intake sheet at drop-off. When they pick up I offer to make a copy for their records. Only three of my customers consistently ask for a copy. One of them documents all her quilts and wants batting and thread information. They other two just want to know how much they spend on quilting each year!

I am always amazed at the trust placed in us by our customers. They trust us to gently handle and store their treasured quilt top--which may have hundreds of dollars of fabric and many hours of work in it--and then trust us to poke high-speed holes in it and draw thread in a design!! A-mazing!! Don't you love it?!!!

I pick up my Quilts at a Quilt store and leave the owner intake sheets and other information, Many of the Quilters I quilt for I never get to see as everyone is kinda spread out over a big area. i drive 6 hours to pick up and deliver quilts. So these Ladies write their info on the sheets and also sign them and give me permission to post their pictures on a website or wall or whatever.

I get in touch with them when I get to their Quilt by phone or e-mail with pictures of patterns and thread and designs and we discuss particulars and it's been working great so far. When I am done, I print an invoice with my Quickbooks , they get a copu and I attach a copy to the intake sheet for my records.

Like Linda, I am so amazed that my cstomers trust their beautiful work to someone they never met, but here you go...the power of word of mouth is awesome! And the ...Your Work is amazing!...makes me blush, because when I see what some of you put out, well, I am light years behind!

But I still love what I do and I know I am getting more and more advanced every day.

• 11 years later...

Linda,

My wife is trying to get a business going with the longarm that she has had for a few years now and was looking for a form like you are talking about here.  I would like to see if you would be able to send me a copy of that intake sheet also.  It would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

tobedebtfree50@gmail.com

Tate Taylor