Compressor for cleaning bobbin?

Instead of getting a loud air compressor for in the house, I got a small air tank. I just fill it up with my DH's big compressor to 110 lb. and keep it under my mille. It will last through several quilts before needing refilling and I don't have that compressor coming on suddenly and startling me. I think I got the idea from this forum months ago.

JULIE:)

One thing to note - canned air has a little bit of water vapor that's not good for metal parts. So if you have a choice, get an air compressor, which should have a little valve that lets out the excess water that can build up.

I love having an air compressor. It zaps that lint right out, and also helps clean the WD40 out.

Julia

I have a little 2HP compressor. My husband made a little roll around cart for it to sit on. It sits under my Millie most of the time. It is noisy but only when it is filling and that only happens about every 3 or 4 uses. I turn it off when not in use so no unexpected blasts of noise. It really works well.

I understand entirely what you mean by the bigger is better gene. I asked for some system to hang my quilts for photos. The next thing I knew we had an electric hoist installed with a long 2x4 and really heavy duty clamps. I have to admit, except for needing two hands to open the clamps, it does work well but really could have just used arm power to hoist them up. Oh well, gotta love em!

Thanks for the suggestions! I am very hesitant to use the canned air since it is known to cause issues with computers due to the temperature and condensation, but there is not many things that can clean out a keyboard as well as a can of air. :)

DH does not have a compressor. I am concerned with the bigger is better because he started talking about a brad nailer attachment and I started thinking of emergency room visits... Not only that but he is not good at returning my tools if he borrows them. Wonder if they make air compressors in barbie doll pink. ;)

Lynda, I can relate to the over engineered items. He made a bicycle lift for our garage in the first house that we bought The were the joke of all our friends after they figured out that they would hoist a motorcycle.

I have a small model (1 hp) Sears Craftsman air compressor. I have a variety of polyester, metallic and I use a lot of cotton threads in the top, so lint is something I contend with with the cotton. I really like my air compressor becuase after every bobbin change, I really blow out my bobbin and I am surprised how much fluff comes out. I used canned air, which is fine and OK to use, but it's not as powerful air pressure as my little air compressor.

I also use the canned air... don't know where I'd keep a compressor. I also wondered about those little "vacuums" that are used for computer keyboards. I used to see them at "Pat Catan's store"...

I use the canned air everytime I change a bobbin - I spray it and then go about emptying the bobbin case, replacing the new one and voila! If the metal got cold, it's warmed up again... The Signature threads are huge lint producers...

I'm with everyone else on the air compressor. Doesn't have to be huge, but get one of decent quality. The first inexpensive one leaked, and didn't stay pumped up (for lack of a better term) for very long. The current one is from sears, in a lovely shade of craftsman red, but I'm sure you could easily paint it pink.

I also second Shana's statement about the amount of lint you can get out with the air compressor vs. the canned air. The canned air is kind of like flicking a feather duster to get out the lint, but with the air compressor, you can really see the fluff fly out.

It's funny when you are asked about your Christmas wish-list and an air compressor is at the top! Mine is from Harbor Freight and was about $89.

I have been presented with a motion-sensor streetlight for just outside the studio, and last year I got a new toilet! Romance is not dead! When telling about the toilet, Dennis said to get all misty-eyed and whisper "It's a Kohler!" like the Jared Jewelry commercials!

Hey Linda,

One year mom got an electric chain saw for Christmas. She couldn't ever get the big one of dad's started up, so all she had to do was plug it in. To make it "more romantic", dad wrapped it in pages from the Sears catalog of the attractive lingerie. Guess I'm dating myself to actually remember the sears catalog.

Thanks for the laughs.

Last year for Christmas I got an air compressor, (Craftsman). Buy the best you can afford. It will last a long time. I also got a stackable tool chest. The bottom has 4 deep drawers and the top has 2 long shallow drawers and 6 narrow shallow drawers. The top has a hinged lid and has a deep opening. It is similar to my DH tool cabinet in his workshop (BTW, the tree (thank you hurricane Gustav) is gone off of his workshop. I love the narrow drawers b/c I can organize my tools so well. I keep the wrenches in one drawer, the allen wrenches in one drawer, small screwdrivers in one etc. I keep extra parts like wheels and such in one of the drawers. I have a socket set and various other tools in the deeper drawers.

I also got a MP3 player for my person and a cd/radio for my studio. I love to use my MP3 player (especially now with Christmas music) b/c it drowns out that d..... beeping from the stitch regulator. Also, I pretend like I don't see or hear people when they approch me at the machine.

I just bought a machine for my home studio so I am asking for some of the same "toys" that I got last year so I will have them at home.

Sandra

The first time I bought a little Husky at Home Depot. It lastd about a year, before it died and I re-upped.

This summer, I went and purchased a two chambor compressor. It is large, but it sits in the corner out of the way with a long hose on it.

We used it to finish off the basement stairs and other neat things.

I also use the nossel to blow off any dust off the top of the quilts before I start.

love it!

I'm glad to hear you all agree with the air compressor. I was at a Quilt group the other day and one lady was told by another longarmer that you should not use an air compressor because it blows the debree to hard and right into the machine. I also heard about canned air problems.

I spoke up at the group and said I used the compressor but not on high.

The long armer they said also said you should use some sort of medical brush to brush out your domestic???

I also blow that lightly with air, not as often as I don't run as much thread through that.

has anyone heard of the brush? I have used a paint brush that is soft and a make up brush.

I'm going to try the air mattress pump, that is a great idea. No suprises when it makes noise.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Hmmm--the bobbin area of my machine has no place for any gunk to go except back out the front. The mechanism for the thread cutter is in front of a pretty deep area, but I don't use the air there.

I also use the compressor to blow chalk off a marked top, as mentioned above. And it does a nice job on the blinds on my two windows. Remember though, all that dust and lint will settle somewhere. It's a losing battle for me! I had guests recently (two newbies. One G-brand and one N-brand) who came to talk about intake sheets, accounting, taxes, licenses, insurance, etc, and I had to spruce up the place to uphold the APQS Superiority. Two Swiffers and two emptyings of my small vacuum later, and I was ready. Guess I should clean more often! (BTW---one of them bought almost as much thread at Innovations as I did! You go, newbie girl!!)

I use a makeup brush on my Janome and my Bernina. I was told by the people who teach the maintenance class to never blow into the bobbin area of the machine because it blows the gunk back into the machine and can cause problems. I can see how that would be on them but not on my Lenni, because like Linda said there is no where for it to go.

Archived