Twirling Stars (AKA the Evil Quilt)

Turkey is in the roaster so I pulled out the camera to take pictures.

I bought this kit at IMQA in 2007(?). The pattern was in a Fons and Porter mag. I loved all the batiks.

I spent the greater part of the summer 2007 putting the squares together. By thanksgiving 2007, I had it on the Beast in the Basement.

Why is it called Evil? If anything could go wrong it did. Thread breakage, needles breaking, tension issues. RRRR. I got so frustrated for awhile, I took it off and folded it up for almost 9 months. I did finish it this summer and put it in our local guild show. It is hanging in our dining room. I love it now that i am not quilting on it.

post--13461900804071_thumb.jpg

Julia!

What a beautiful quilt!!! wonderful job on the quilting too! I wish I'd been on the chat at that time and learned what I have learned ...

For you and everyone who uses the batik fabrics... they are very tightly woven and because of that the needle has a hard time going "between" the threads as it does on a 100% cotton...

I found a product on Kingsmen's supply that prevents the threads from breaking and lets the needle "glide" through the batiks... it's "silicone spray"... I spray the heck out of the fabric, the thread, the bottom, everything I can to allow the quilting to go smoothly. The product does not leave a residue or a build up.

Try it!!! It's made my quilting easier! whenever I have thread breakage - I first check the tensions, the quilt "sandwich", and so on... then I get out my trusty silicone spray!!!

thanks everyone. I do use the silicon. It really helps to keep things moving. i'll have to check the product you suggest above. thanks!

My Hubby teases me that I have that "being right disease". So when you have a quilt that talks back that much during the making, it is nice to hang it on the wall as a trophy (hee heee - a 12pointer, hee hee).After 8 years of quilting I do a much better job at learning from my creative oppotunities! This is one I feel pretty good about. It is a learning experience and a self motivator to push through it and finisish it.

Turkey was fantastic. Reltatives were sad they are in California that they didn't get rolls or Rob's creme Brulee

How many days until Christmas?

Archived