Doing the Happy Dance

Yesterday I met with a new customer. She brought me 5 quilt tops that were the most beautifully pieced one I have ever worked on. One will be custom. Mostly Batiks and tone on tones. She has 8 more tops for me to do. She also wants me to bind them for her. Here is where the story is sad. She is my age 52ish and was a gifted doctor until one day she noticed something was wrong with her balance. She went to a few doctors until one finally listened to her and ran all the right tests. She has MS. What I find so amazing about her is her attitude. She still enjoys life and quilts and knits. I had the best time with her. She sat in a chair and I on the floor in my studio and we measured all her quilts and picked out thread and quilting designs for about two hours. We also talked about life. I felt honored to finish her quilts for her as I know they will probably be the last ones she is able to piece.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Oh, Nora, Heidi is SO right....we aren't just quilters...we in some cases are angels that have been sent to those who can't do for themselves.

I have had several customers as this in my career and each one has become or was a special person...several of these have now gone on to their maker, but each quilt even though I haven't seen it in years is still a fresh memory. Like you just did, with her setting in the chair and you on the floor...talking. YOU will never forget those two hours, they will replay in your memory from time to time...and each will bring a smile to your face.

And thank you for taking the time to do this...she will appreciate that more than you will EVER know....for you at the time it was customer relations, for her it was a special moment, and now you have a new friend.

Nora, Thank you for sharing your customer's story, my DH was diagnonsed with MS 5 years ago. It was scary but we managed, after 2 years with no change for better or worse we went to a new Dr. and had him tested from top to bottom, he actually has Parkinson's. It's manageable with meds for now. He is working at an upper level management job and luckily gets to work from home with only a little travel required.

I am sure that her quilts will be fun for you to quilt and means so much to her for your special care!

Nora, I'd love to meet your customer.. she sounds like such a real love.. wonderful that she can still quilt and enjoy life to such an extent.

I too wish I could have a customer like that, one that will sit and chat a bit. I realize though, when running a business that is busy, and time is tight, we may not have that much time.

Good luck and God Bless..

RitaR

You two were destined to meet. You are a real blessing to her, Nora. I can imagine her smiling as she cuddles under her quilts that you finish for her.

Here is a note that I have typed and it's on the bottom of all of my customer's invoices. "It was a pleasure, and an honor to help you finish your quilt. Thank you very much for your business! Shana"

My favorite customer died yesterday morning. I helped her finish many beautiful quilts for her loved ones over the last 5 years. She battled cancer for the last 20 years and had to be the happiest person I know. The last 2 I finished were for her only daughter and her husband. She always had me make a label for the back with her signature image (a lighthouse) on them. I recently made a little gift for her in honor of our friendship...

post--13461900810846_thumb.jpg

My first customer in 1995 was a little old lady in her 80's. She said that her mother had been dead for over 40 years and some of the tops were hers. I was really green ,but had practiced on a lot of sheets and my own quilts.She brought me 1 to start and she liked it so well, she brought me 12 more to do. She was determined to get them finished before she died and give them to the family members she wanted to have them. I got the job done and she got them all distributed to family members and died about 2 weeks after I had finished the last one.Her daughter called to thank me for helping her mother, get her task finished . Mrs. Frye really gave me the boost I needed to go on with my quilting business.I am still at it. Carol WV:P

Archived