Kudos to Kim Brunner for Twirly Whirly Feathers DVD

This is the best DVD in my growing collection! It is so well done, so well photographed (videographed???) and so thorough. She is a fabulous teacher. She really breaks it down into "baby steps." I think I can quilt anything now. I've had a weird quilt on my frame for a couple of months and finally closed the door on my studio, just to avoid this quilt! But now I know what to do, and I can't wait to get down there tomorrow and tackle this quilt. What a great time to be quilting, with all the technology bringing fabulous teachers into my home at a price I can afford. Thanks Kimmy!

I have no connection to her, just wanted to praise and thank her!:D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen her website before and wanted to buy her DVD but wanted to hear some feedback before spending $44.95. You know how it is, we treasure our quilting $$$ and don't want to waste $$ on items that turn out to be duds.

Anyone else out there have the DVD? Is it really going to work wonders on the feather challenged?

Kimmy Brunner is a wonderful human being. I have been one of the many fortunate students to take two of her classes at MQS last year, and even before that, before I ever met her in real life, we had had quite a few emails back and forth to each other. The two MQS classes were "Bordering on Lunacy" and "Twirly Whirly Feathers". Awesome both of them.

She is genuinely kind, genuinely funny and genuinely talented and genuinely down to earth and real. OK one more: She's also genuinely generous. Very generous. We are lucky to have supportive wonderful people like Kim Brunner in our midst and part of our quilty world.

Oh and apparently she also loves Alaska and comes to visit often with her husband to hunt and fish and sight see.

Kim's beginner DVD is awesome, too, if you are interested in that one. I plan on getting her twirly whirly girly feather DVD.

Cathey, I am glad you are ready to quilt your quilt. :) I hope you share photos when you are done.

Jolene,

I got it last week and I think it's great. She goes from showing you how to draw feathers to showing you how to quilt them. There's also a workbook that comes with the DVD. I don't think anyone (unless you're really good at feathers) will regret getting it. It's a 2 DVD plus the workbook set for $44.95. She even shows you in detail how to attach binding on your longarm.

As everyone usually says....I'm not affiliated, just a happy purchaser.

I bought the twirly whirly feathers DVD last week and after only a few hours practicing with pen and paper I was able to quilt feathers! I'm planning on using her twirling feather border on a quilt this weekend. It's a fabulous DVD. Love her beginner DVD also.

oops! I forgot to mention that I can actually prove that Kimmy Brunner's teaching is great! I posted a couple pictures of my practice piece on my webshots page. Look in the quilting studio album. I had never quilted feathers before. I'd post the pictures here but I haven't figured out how to do that yet!:D

I got the DVD last week too. I was on my way out of the door to the Wild Women classes in Greensboro when it came. I took it with me and watched it in the hotel room that night. It is WONDERFUL!

I was having real issues even drawing feathers on paper. I was drawing them that night while I was watching the dvd and have been doodling them ever since. I have one more customer quilt to finish before I can load some practice cloth and try it on my machine. So, I should be practicing this afternoon. I have a quilt that I have been putting off to be able to do feathers on and I am hoping to get it done early next week.

I have both of Kim's DVDs and they are both terrific!

You girls are great sales people. Betsy, your feathers look like you've been doing them for a while.

Okay - this week I had planned on ordering Linda's crosshatch rulers - I can't have both in the same week or even the same month. Only so many gadget dollars and I'm also ordering a saddle stool. Defiantly need the saddle stool. So between the crosshatch rulers and Kim Brunner's DVD - which would I need and utilize most right now. I think I do feathers more than crosshatch, but if I had the fabulous crosshatch ruler would I start CH'ing more?

What to do? Which to order first? Any further input would be appreciated.

Jolene,

I can't say which to get first? I'm too new at this. I haven't even tried cross hatching anything yet. Those crosshatch rulers sound pretty neat though.

I need to correct a statement from my last post. I had quilted feathers before but I had never quilted feathers that actually looked like feathers before. They were big swoopy kinda squared off ovals that would randomly change direction whether I wanted them to or not.

I got Kimmy's DVD and book yesterday. Last night I spent a half an hour with a transparency on one of the pages PPPing. This is the one system that makes sense for me because it's making me get the concept and movement before I quilt it. So far - I really need more PPP!!!!

Great job Kimmy.

I feel your pain, Jolene! Every week, someone suggests a great new method or gadget and I gotta have it! Maybe I'll have to establish a monthly budget for my wish list....that sounds good to me. My problem, absolutely no patience!

I like the way your brain works, Kristina! What a great problem solver you are.

I ordered the Dvd this morning...and the Judalator last week, etc......:o

Sandra

Did you get the judalator yet? I was wanting to order it as well, but thought maybe someone at mqx would have it and I would save the shipping time and $$'s did you order all the sizes or just one? see I am not sure which size I would use the most. Like Jolene said too many choices. I havent ordered any video's yet either. I have to have something tb t MQX!! lol

Do you think that Kim Brunner might have the DVD at MQX? She was in the Kingmen booth last year.

I am with you Jeanne, if I can save on the shipping it is worth waiting a few weeks. I am definitely going to get the DVD. You have all convinced me it would be well worth the price. Thank you.

Charlotte

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Jolene...order one of the gadgets now...and next week is a new month, so order the other gadget then! Make sense.

You won't be buying 2 gadgets in the same week or the same month! And if that doesn't work...then try the eeny meeny miney mo!!

Kristina, great minds think alike. :cool:

Yes, I got my judalator! I haven't used it yet. It was suggested to me that if I was only getting one then maybe the biggest would be best since it would handle 12" blocks...so that's what I did!

I think my wish list is going to have to include a trip to one of these big shows in the future! You guys are getting all excited and now I'm a bit jealous. I'm really not a traveller, so when the time comes, I'll have to beg my forum friends to take me under their wings!

Okay, so I have to order Kimmy's tapes. I bought her beginning tape when I took the beginning class from Darlene Epp--they were a perfect combo. Then I saw these and I've been thinking about them, but Betsy, seeing your feathers is making me a believer!

What the heck is a judalator? Am I going to have to buy that too? :o Geez, I took a second job that I use for my "fun" money, I think I'm going to have to get a third!! So many toys, so little money:P

My recent challenges all seem to be geared toward making ugly quilts pretty, or at least interesting, and the Kim Brunner DVD has made that challenge fun! It was too cold this morning to quilt (actually had to turn on the heater) so I spent the morning really thinking about the quilt on the frame and designed what I think will be a very nice treatment. I'll post pics when I finish, good or bad. :P

I have spent the afternoon doing 2 things - # 1 - working on Kimmy's feather wreaths. Watching her and listening, the light bulb finally went on as to where one needed to go......... Mine are not yet of high quality, but I feel that I will finally be able to put one on a quilt!!! Yeah. #2 - working without the SR. Read the posts earlier about not using the SR and it made sense. Played with various speeds, etc and I was really pleased with what I was doing. Was I ever surprised with myself!!!:P It was a productive afternoon!

I also put my check in the mail to Linda for my XH'ing rulers. This morning I worked on designs for a quilt on my design board and decided the open spaces just have to have XH'ing - so finally ordered mine. You gals have said so many great things about these rulers. Dennis must really be a gem to put so much time into great gadgets for all of us. But, knowing Linda, he has to be a winner!!!

Archived