Kudos to Kim Brunner for Twirly Whirly Feathers DVD

Hi Satu (and anyone else from overseas that is considering placing an order with a US supplier)

Let me explain a little bit about how International Shipping works, as sometimes those of us who operate websites take a little grief for what can be perceieved as too-high shipping prices. Obviously, I am speaking only for myself when I talk about my shipping rates, and have no control over what other sites might charge you for their shipping rates.

I charge you exactly as much for shipping as the Post Office charges me and the rate they charge me for shipping International Priority is $12.95 **if your order will fit into the Flat Rate envelope.** If your order does not fit into the envelope and must instead be boxed, they charge me more, and again, I will charge you exactly what they charge me and not a penny more. The price difference between the envelope and the boxes very quickly skyrockets, believe me. It shocks me sometimes what they charge me for getting a box from here to there. I do not charge you any handling charges, only the actual shipping rate. Yes, I lose money on that deal, but I figure that if you're nice enough to order place an order with me from so far away, the least I can do is try to save you a few bucks on your shipping costs.

What will fit into that envelope? Let me give you some examples: Twirly fits with no problem, and if you order Twirly and one or two separate DVDs that will fit as well. Freehand Freedom or Extreme Makeover (Mary Nordeng's books) will fit *one at a time, but not together,* as the spiral bindings of two books together are too large for me to be able to close the envelope. Those books will also fit with one or two DVDs, but not with Twirly. (again with the spiral bindings) A mouse pad fits with pretty much any of the books, but if you want a coffee cup you're going to pay as much or more for the shipping than you pay for the coffee cup simply because now we're talking about using a box instead of the envelope.

If you place an order that does not fit into the envelope, I can (and often will!) go driving all over town to find the smallest possible box that will allow me to safely pack your order up for International Shipping, again in order to save you a couple of bucks. I will also devise elaborate shipping schemes that involve your order being shipped in separate smaller boxes and envelopes instead of in one big box, as that can often save you money. However, my time for box hunting is somewhat limited, as I still have to find time to process and ship dozens of orders every day.

The reason I use Priority Shipping is that, while it's a little more expensive than Parcel Post, your package will get to you in days rather than weeks and if it goes astray somewhere between here and there, Priority Shipping allows me to track your package so if you don't get it in a timely manner, I can easily go looking for it.

I am sorry that people think it's 'ridiculous' for me to charge so much for shipping, but again, I am only charging you what the Post Office charges me for International deliveries. And you're right, the prices are ridiculous but it's what I have to pay when I am standing at the Post Office counter with your package in my hands. In several cases of overseas orders, I felt that the postal charges were so unseemly that I only charged the customer what I thought was reasonable and I ate the rest of the shipping charge so that she wouldn't have to pay so much. Yes, that was money out of my pocket, but whatever. It seemed like the right thing to do.

There are many other websites that will charge handling as well as shipping for international orders, or even flat-out refuse to ship internationally in order to avoid the time-consuming hassle of filling out all of the necessary Customs paperwork, and that is certainly their choice. However, my opinion is that in a tough economy every penny counts, and with that in mind I will always package and ship your order in the manner that is least costly to you but still allows me to keep tabs on your order as it travels across the world from my house to yours. It's no more than what I would hope for if our positions were reversed and it were me placing the order with you.

Kimmy Brunner

Kimmyquilt.com

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kim, you are right on girl, with priority mail shipping!! If you print your postage from your home computer, with "Click-N-Ship", the tracking is free. I also think the post office is cheaper than UPS. Let me tell you, my UPS delivery man makes $77,000/year!! No wonder shipping is high; along with the price of everything else, like FOOD!!!:mad:

I loved your Beginners DVD, and I love your style; so I'll be ordering it too!

Or will they be with you at MQS??

Love you all:P:P

Kim, I just got your DVDs and I've been drawing and practicing...what a difference they're making in a very short time frame! I started watching last night in my studio and finished them this morning in the living room. I noticed that someone else was also very interested...our Border Collie, Chloe. She often watches TV, loves John Wayne movies and pretty much anything with horses or dogs, but this is the first time she's avidly watched quilting. I think you have another big fan:D:D

post--1346190153681_thumb.jpg

Hi Kimmie,

I did order your book and DVD because it came so highly recommended by your APQS Fan Club. I am really looking forward to receiving it. Being in Oz means a longer wait!:(

We tend to forget how far Australia is removed from the US, we get onto the chat site and talk in basicaly real time. Shipping costs for anything we buy from the US will always be a factor we have to calculate in, as well as our low OZ$ value. (in the end this book and DVD cost me AUS$129.00)

Personally, I did not think the shipping was outrageous, it was part of my consideration however, when I did decide to buy.

I consider this DVD as an investment in my (eventual) business, and will write it off against my tax as a business tool.

We did have a similar discussion earlier this year/late last year on the cost of quilting fabrics. We in OZ just have to learn to buy smarter and be a bit more discerning about our quilting investments.

Ladies, please don't malign our poor Kimmie............ she might be able to create miracles by teaching even someone like me to succeed with feathers............. The postal service and our OZ$ however, are out of her control!!;)

In great anticipation,

Kimmy,

Having never shipped anything overseas, ever, I had no idea that it cost so much!

Susanne, when you do get your Twirly DVD's and book you will not regret the purchase. Like Dory, I couldn't get the feathers to behave themselves when I tried to quilt them but Kim's teaching and technique make so much sense that it really does seem simple! Drawing them is the easy part once you learn how....now if my machine would just stitch exactly where I want it to......:D

Thanks for your reply Kim,

As Susanne stated it's not so much the shipping charge as the exchange rate and that, unfortunately, is beyond our control.

When you consider the distance between your post office and my front door, 'tis a long way for a parcel to travel and I'm still amazed at how fast they get here.

I do, however, have to factor the shipping into the price of the item I'm buying as that $ amount is what I will see on my bank statement.

I'm very glad to hear that you don't profit from shipping.

I get irate when my parcel turns up and I see the actual cost of the shipping (packaging included) is less than half of what I paid, and when that happens I will not shop there again. I have been known to weigh similar items at home (eg cones of thread, certain lenghts of fabric) to get some idea of what the actual shipping may be should I be wanting to place an OS order, much to the amusement of my family lol

It is hard sometimes, as sight unseen, I've no idea re the size/weight of the item in question. As discussed on another thread, packaging can be misleading.

Wouldnt it be lovely to have vast amounts of $$$$ so that it didnt matter.

Maybe in my next life :P

I'm also glad that you do take the time to ship OS, as there are a lot of places that refuse. They don't appear to need my money so me thinks there doing well ;)

Anyhow, as stated earlier, it is the exchange rate that is the bother and that is beyond our control.

Cheers Satu

PS I'm pleased to read that you can fit more stuff in the same bag...I'm now tempted to buy more :cool:

Originally posted by matildanme

Kimmys dvd looks great! I would dearly love to do feathers like this.

Will have to wait for the oz $ to improve a tad....with the shipping the total for us Aussies will be $80.77 :(

Such is life!

cheers

OK I am sorry. Never would I even imagine Kim Brunner trying to rip anyone off on shipping, etc. It's not in her nature to do anything like that. She is the most generous person and very kind.

So... I didn't think about the exchange rate between US an Australia! Maybe that is why the $80.00 charge is so much, and not the shipping?? I learn something new every day. :( Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Living in Alaska the last 30+ years I have become accustomed to all of extra shipping charges tacked on. We get nailed far beyond what is fair. I have some disdain toward the shipping companies. When they find out it's Alaska, we're treated like we live on a planet like Pluto or Mars.

Hi

I recieved Kim's Beginner DVD and Twirly Feather's book and DVD last week,

I am very much a novice, but truly am enjoying and learning so much from them.

Kim has a very calming way to me in her teaching.

Also I am in the UK and the postage was very fair. Thank you Kim.

Most times when I order from the USA, the postage is fair, the only time that upset me was when I ordered fabric from the Fat Quarters. They posted through UPS and my end UPS charged me as much as the fabric cost in charges.

If I get caught with the Customs, the UK post office charges are bad as they charge a handling fee of between £8 to £12 on top of any VAT charges. Thankfully the DVD,s and Books that came from Darlene Myrna and Kim all got through with no extra charges :D

I am stocking up on learning material for when i can get my longarm. For now i will have to practice on my shortarm and I do need lots of PPP:D

Before I go, I must tell you the APQS forums is now my first port of call when I turn on my computer. Even though I still only have a shortarm machine I am still learning loads from you all.......Thank you:)

Happy Quilting

Kath in the UK

Hello kath,

Welcome to the forum. This site is great. I always log on first thing in the morning and then check throughout the day to see what is happening, whether I am at home or at work. This site alone is one of the best learning tools there is.

Dear Kimmie,

I received my DVDs last week and have had a great time watching them. As Kath mentioned, you do have a very calming method of teaching.......... love IT. The DVDs are very well made as well and all the shots of you displaying the methods are really clear. I'll be watching them various times this long easter weekend. The family has supplied me with earplugs for the computer. ;) Funnily enough, they are not as keen on Twirly Whirly Feathers as I am!:D

What amazes me is the many different ways of doing feathers. There is Kimmie's bump bump ones, Sharon Schambers method and then our own Myrna's way. I am sure that there are many other out there as well. Did I mention that I ended up dreaming about making feathers after watching Kimmie's DVD? At least I can do them in my dreams?!! LOL:P

Have a happy Easter!!

I'm telling ya, it's so worth the $$$ to get this DVD! OK I have watched this DVD about 3-4 times now and every time I watch it I learn something new.

I am not exaggerating, is hands down the BEST training DVD I have ever, ever watched. Kim Brunner is a fantastic teacher. She has a real gift to explain things so clearly. Her examples are lovely and the “training wheels” and helpful tips are down to earth and easy to grasp. The visuals and the overhead camera shots while drawing on the big pad with sharpie marker are excellent.

I think that even the seasoned longarm quilters who already know how to do feathers can learn a lot by watching this DVD. While watching, I discovered lots of little treasures and I probably need to watch this DVD about 10 more times to catch everything. If we could have an academy awards for best longarm training DVD production, I think this one would win the Oscar. Kim truly has a special gift to explain things. Her natural teaching style and visuals should be the example that all should follow.

Shana (and no, Kim did not pay me large sums of cash to say all this stuff...) :P

I have to agree with Shana!

I had a light bulb moment watching the dvd & now I am going to feather everything....

I have just stepped out from behind my machine & this is the first time I have felt confident enough to try a technique.

The way Kim explains how to do the feathers is so clear & concise that even a dummy like me understood. She should have called the dvd

"Feathers for Dummies" that's how easy she makes it. Don't get me wrong, my feathers aren't perfect but they are better than anything

I have attempted before. Like Kim says "if you can draw it, you can quilt it".

Love, love, love my new dvd

:)

I just returned from a week in Florida yesterday and I took my Twirly Whirly Feathers book with me and practiced at the airport while we were waiting for our plane. Lots of people stopped by to see what I was drawing with my dry erase marker. After a week of practicing on paper I can't wait to get downstairs and turn on my machine! :D I don't think I would ever have been able to draw a feather without Kimmie's book and DVD. It's wonderful.:)

Archived